When would you say Geddy stopped singing high live?

Eel Yddeg

I think it has been mentioned a lot here, and I have experienced it too - but for the most part, when people say that they don't like Rush, it is because of Geddy's voice ..

Now, over the years, that has sort of changed - Geddy is a lot more palatable for those who didn;t like his earlier style/range ..

The band changed - Alex's sound and approach changed, the songs, attitude and entire vibe of the band changed, Terry Brown left ( and this is not emphasized enough IMHO ) and overall, they became more and more middle of the road and accessible ..

The 1980s were great for new bands, but for bands that had success in the 1970s, the transition was, at times, awkward and forced ....

You had bands with guys in their 30s attempting to reinvent themselves and abandon everything that influenced them when they were growing up and growing up togther

This is a good post, as I think there are a number of reasons for the change in Geddy's voice . .

At this point - between Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures, and probably even before - Rush was making a concerted effort to move in a different direction - towards a more accessible, more grounded band ..

The natural human response to certain pitches and timbres will illicit innate responses and evoke different visuals and images in the listener's imagination ... The swirling synth at the very beginning of 2112, or the otherworldly sounds in the intro to Cygnus X1 are somewhat odd to what we hear everyday - these sections set the listener up for something mysterious, something we don't have familiar grasp on ..

Geddy's voice was so perfect for this era because it fit that otherworldly, intangible vibe ....

When Rush made the conscious effort to abandon this, Geddy's voice was the first thing that needed to change ( ... much to my dismay, as it was Geddy's voice that drew me in in the first place )

In this clip from 1980 - the Permanent Waves tour - you can clearly hear that he still has the range ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rws3NVE7iqo

Needless to say, they lost me soon after this

Wow! That is a amazing video! :o Do you know if it exist anymore from that concert/tour in same (or better) quality?

Zumbi, I would love to think that the entire show was recorded, but unfortunately, this was filmed by the local television news, who probably didn't film everything

But you never know

aw, thats a shame... its really good quality! Much better then the Exit... Stage Left video!

• Like 1

I think it has been mentioned a lot here, and I have experienced it too - but for the most part, when people say that they don't like Rush, it is because of Geddy's voice ..

Now, over the years, that has sort of changed - Geddy is a lot more palatable for those who didn;t like his earlier style/range ..

I remember this was the same for me. My dad tried to convince me to like Rush with Moving Pictures but I had really big problems with Geddys voice. And then I saw Rush live on Time Machine Tour, and after that I was crazy about Rush! Now thou, I even love Rush early stuff, and Geddy´s voice was great! I don´t understand how I could be so stupid....

• Like 1

I think Geddy stopped singing really high when he realized it would be best for his voice in the long run to do so. Also, as stated already, the songs didn't require him to anymore. I would say by the GUP tour he was done with singing at his highest.
  • Like 2

From what I remember, they recorded the music for Hemispheres and as usual were going to do the vocals afterwards...unfortunately, Geddy hadn't realised that due to the chordal arrangements it was going to be a complete bitch to sing and take a massive toll on his voice....after touring the album for a short while he realised that his throat was going to be destroyed keeping up that register, so he made a conscious decision to change his singing style...it took a little while to find the correct tonality and technique to suit.
  • Like 1

I think when he was on his way home after recording "Take Off" for Bob and Doug Mckenzie, he said to himself "that's it. I'm not going to sing that high and awesome anymore. Maybe since I've quit smoking my lungs will pink up again, but I really need to take care of myself. Maybe I'll give it another shot when I'm in my 60s."

I'm really enjoying all the comments & info here. So awesome that someone took the time to chronicle all the details & song changes. Awesome job on that. Now I know why everyone wants earlier bootleg video. Thanks for posting that you tube link. I watched it several times & saved it into my Rush faves Edited by gypsy muse

I think when he was on his way home after recording "Take Off" for Bob and Doug Mckenzie, he said to himself "that's it. I'm not going to sing that high and awesome anymore. Maybe since I've quit smoking my lungs will pink up again, but I really need to take care of myself. Maybe I'll give it another shot when I'm in my 60s."

:LOL:

This is a good post, as I think there are a number of reasons for the change in Geddy's voice . .

At this point - between Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures, and probably even before - Rush was making a concerted effort to move in a different direction - towards a more accessible, more grounded band ..

The natural human response to certain pitches and timbres will illicit innate responses and evoke different visuals and images in the listener's imagination ... The swirling synth at the very beginning of 2112, or the otherworldly sounds in the intro to Cygnus X1 are somewhat odd to what we hear everyday - these sections set the listener up for something mysterious, something we don't have familiar grasp on ..

Geddy's voice was so perfect for this era because it fit that otherworldly, intangible vibe ....

When Rush made the conscious effort to abandon this, Geddy's voice was the first thing that needed to change ( ... much to my dismay, as it was Geddy's voice that drew me in in the first place )

In this clip from 1980 - the Permanent Waves tour - you can clearly hear that he still has the range ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rws3NVE7iqo

Needless to say, they lost me soon after this

There is no room for such logical, well-reasoned posts here!

• Like 1

I saw them live for the first time on the Power Windows Tour and his voice was still kicking, as it was the next several tours. I think he lost his pipes somewhere during the long layoff between Test for Echo and Vapor Trails. What's even sadder is hearing the best singing voice in rock history deteriorate between Journey's "Raised on Radio" and "Trial by Fire."

Hate my post, or like my detailed observations?

Neither. Too convoluted and you need some paragraph breaks.

Damn, Eagle Moon! What do you REALLY think?

Pretty basic composition instruction.

I've noticed a difference with his voice between live material from the PW and Moving Pictures tours. I believe that he could still hit the notes, but he realized that he just couldn't sing that way night after night anymore. It's possible that he noticed that his vocal recovery time was getting longer and decided that he'd tone it down a bit.
  • Like 1

all the "high" jokes are used up if I wasn't such a stoner I'd be on top of this shit damn lol .ok carry on..

I'm pretty sure he stopped singing high at the end of the L.A. Show, on August 1st of this year.

It's anybody's guess as to whether he's completely done singing high or not, though.

Perhaps this is best measured by Freewill, the high part after the solos.

Signals tour, all was well, solos begin around 13:40:

Dropped from the setlist for a while, didn't return until the Presto tour, but, alas, on that tour as well at the RTB tour, they went into Distant Early Warning out of the solos, so he didn't sing the high part.

Not played on the Counterparts tour.

Returns to the T4E tour, the final rehearsal the night before the tour opener (which is a delightful listen in its own right, since he was saving his voice a TON of the entire recording is instrumental, soundboard!) he didn't bother to sing it, just played through it. Around 1:40:40

Opening night T4E tour. Solos begin around the 16 minute mark here, he sings the high part and, um, yeah. https://www.youtube....h?v=ozvutM9M3hQ

Vapor Trails tour, (not linking to anything from Rush In Rio, that terrible sound, ugh) a good sample would be the smoking version of the song from the SARS concert:

Not played on Feedback/R30.

S&A Live, he sounds pretty good during the high part:

Time Machine, even with the vocal issues he was having that night, pretty strong, IMO:

Of course, that was the last tour that Freewill was in the setlist.

They started recording their albums with lower vocals as time went on so it would make more sense that he would sing lower live. I'm sure the older stuff was consciously cut a bit to preserve his voice.
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure he stopped singing high at the end of the L.A. Show, on August 1st of this year.

It's anybody's guess as to whether he's completely done singing high or not, though.

Sadly.

But a well-deserved rest.

:sigh: :huh:

Do you mean "high" as in :smoke: ?

:LOL: His passages to Bangkok...

When he started singing low.

:LOL:

• Like 1