Post Unpopular Rush Opinions

Eel Yddeg

outside of this board, my unpopular opinion would be that they have more than 2 records worth owning

I don't think it's possible to post an unpopular RUSH opinion, really. We'd have to poll every contribution to establish its popularity and even then it'd be this board's variation.

other than that, all I can think of is I like the last two songs on HYF.

other than certain standout tracks, I don't really listen to a whole lot released after HYF

I'll have a go at it, though: In their eagerness to produce albums outside the box, the band got lucky even in their misfortune (Lillywhite's backing out but managing a pretty stellar album with Peter Henderson, in my opinion). Their ongoing experiment with producing Peters continued for a couple of albums before that consistent luck ran out. After a lost pair of Ruperts, not even a return of the most-used Peter could do more than salvage another session to produce one more stellar album. Credit the Caveman, I guess. What Rascalnuts did to the end of their legacy is unforgivable. One wonders (at least I still do) whether or not a return to Terry might have produced a triage of works that would produce reaction videos the likes of which we are seeing amongst our African-American brethren, whereby they are capitalising on being blown away by the seminal compositions and performances of the band that brought us everything from By Tor to The Big Money (in Rio, no less).

In short: a slew of crappy record producers ruined a perfect legacy. Even this is probably a 50/50 on the unpopular RUSH opinions spectrum.

• Like 2

outside of this board, my unpopular opinion would be that they have more than 2 records worth owning

MP and 2112 is really about all the casually interested needs, and 2112 is suspect in that regard.
  • Like 1

Ugh. Nick R. He of the "louder and more layers of sound the better" philosophy. To be fair his mix on S&A wasn't too bad, spotty material aside, but CA is just unlistenable start to finish. Its too long , too dense, few hooks or memorable parts, I can't even understand what the hell Geddy is singing half the time...is it even in English?

If they called it a career after the R30 tour I wouldn't have missed out on anything. Far Cry perhaps.

• Like 3

I had a different account years ago but can't remember the username or password so I made a new one just for this.

The "thesis" of Beyond the Lighted Stage, if there is one to be taken away, is that Rush were unconditional nonconformists who avoided trends over the decades and carved their own path and are thus martyrs to their unpopular originality, and unappreciated heroes of outsiders everywhere.

I don't buy it.

Though I wouldn't deny they are a unique band, their stylistic evolution was always I fluenced by someone. I should also say that I'm gonna rag on all periods of Rush and that I love all of them. My top 5 is CoS, Hem, Presto, CP, T4E. 4/5 of those are pretty unpopular picks to begin with. So here we go:

The initial Zeppelin/Cream influence is obvious.

Oh what's this prog rock stuff that's popular? Let's dip our toes in it but ultimately just take the full plunge 4 years after it was really interesting.

I don't buy the "we got tired of playing long, hard to play songs, it's equally challenging to write a pop song" thing.

Oh hey guys check out these new bands called the Police and U2, let's blow them for 10 years.

SYNTHS! ITS THE 80s! LETS SOUND LIKE EVERY 80s BAND! Let's say it's an experiment with new sounds and love of technology but oh look I didn't touch my bass for a whole song.

What do you mean most rock bands smartened up and dropped the synths by about '86? It's still the 80s! Presto! Make fun of pop music on Superconductor even though we've been doing that.

Those synths were hiding that we're old and out of touch. Rap is cool, right?

Hey our producer told us grunge is cool let's do that in our 40's and trade the angst lyrics for puns and computers and dogs.

The loundess war! Terrible production that everyone had at the time.

I'd say it ends about there, because I don't listen to enough modern rock to know who they're ripping off in the 2000s.

Seriously. I wouldn't expect them to play 70s prog for 40 years but it's silly hearing people say that they never conformed to music of the time.

Lastly, I've always believed that because the outsider message of 2112 got them a lot of fans, they made a conscious effort to appeal to that fanbase. Cinderella Man, Tom Sawyer, Subdivisions come to mind first. What does a 30 year old want to write about high school in the suburbs for other than knowing that 14 year olds with mullets buy records?

Don't murder me for all this, just want to open a discussion, I love Rush and like I enjoy every phase even if not every full album.

Edited by MalformedEarthborn
  • Like 3

^^^ :goodone:

RUSH have always been derivative, and unapologetically so. They're up front about how they've been influenced by other musicians (even if many fans aren't).

Paradoxically, RUSH are also remarkably inventive and have managed to borrow from others and create something decidedly unique sounding...albums that simultaneously echo the Police and yet sound nothing like that band, for example.

RUSH are musical alchemists.

• Like 2

RUSH have always been derivative, and unapologetically so. They're up front about how they've been influenced by other musicians (even if many fans aren't).

Paradoxically, RUSH are also remarkably inventive and have managed to borrow from others and create something decidedly unique sounding...albums that simultaneously echo the Police and yet sound nothing like that band, for example.

This is where Rush are different to Dream Theater. I know the Rush sound but I don't know what the f**k makes DT special lol

This is where Rush are different to Dream Theater. I know the Rush sound but I don't know what the f**k makes DT special lol

Neither do i, lol. but i love them

Mick

And not every single band has to be "Special" to be enjoyable, lol.

Sorry i have a headache today.

Mick

Mick

Agreed but in order to be special one has to like them

Old school fans would be much happier if every record after grace under pressure was a financial disaster and no further fans were added to the mix........

:LOL:

I'm pretty sure the proggish oldies are annoyed that Roll The Bones was RUSH's most successful album chart-wise. :P

• Like 1

Old school fans would be much happier if every record after grace under pressure was a financial disaster and no further fans were added to the mix........

:LOL:

I'm pretty sure the proggish oldies are annoyed that Roll The Bones was RUSH's most successful album chart-wise. :P

Not annoyed.

Mick

Yes but is it your favorite?

• Like 1

I think Clockwork Angels is better than Signals, 2112, Power Windows, Fly By Night and possibly Caress Of Steel.
  • Like 1

Snakes And Arrows is almost an exceptional return to their seventies brilliance. The best of that album is some of the best work they have ever done.
  • Like 2

Geddy's studio vocals on the last four albums have a certain beauty and feel that the earlier eras didn't have.

What he often lacks in power he has compensated with maturity, emotional and vulnerability. He sings like a wise old storyteller.

• Like 3

https://youtu.be/0hsaNTUBvyQ

This man is a huge prog head but I get the impression Rush never clicked with him for some reason. Anyway he’s been reviewing the post 80s albums in order and I figure what’s a less popular favorite Rush song than Dog Years?

• Like 3

The debut album is actually a minor classic and Before And After is one of the earliest Rush classics.

More fans should be aware of Before And After! Possibly the best song off the first three albums!

• Like 3

https://youtu.be/0hsaNTUBvyQ

This man is a huge prog head but I get the impression Rush never clicked with him for some reason. Anyway he’s been reviewing the post 80s albums in order and I figure what’s a less popular favorite Rush song than Dog Years?

This guy is my hero. Dog Years is good fun, if you let it be. "Brilliantly stupid", indeed!
  • Like 2