Post Unpopular Rush Opinions

Eel Yddeg

Hoo boy.

On some songs, I like Geddy's modern voice better then his old voice.

One example is Jacob's Ladder. I like the way he sang it on R40 much more then on Permanent Waves.

I thought he did it as well on R40 as he did on the album. Will have to go back and give another listen to see if maybe Geddy didn't do it better.

Jacob's Ladder is geared for a lower voice to begin with.

Hoo boy.

On some songs, I like Geddy's modern voice better then his old voice.

One example is Jacob's Ladder. I like the way he sang it on R40 much more then on Permanent Waves.

I thought he did it as well on R40 as he did on the album. Will have to go back and give another listen to see if maybe Geddy didn't do it better.

Jacob's Ladder is geared for a lower voice to begin with.

That's exactly why i feel it's better. His higher 1980 voice doesn't work as well with his deeper voice of today. Plus, it's a low song, so no yodeling!

• Like 1

"C'est quoi Rush?"

(what is Rush?). I think it is the most impopular thing I heard about the band here in France since 99.99% of people would quote that if I asked them an opinion

:o

Et c'est lorsque tu va :bitchslap: ! Haha...

This thread is WAY too long to check and see if I'm not repeating something someone else already said here, but my (probably) unpopular Rush opinions are as follows:

1. I think the debut album is awesome

2. I think the title track to Farewell To Kings is a great song

3. I don't think any album after Moving Pictures is as good as anything before (that may not be an unpopular opinion). This is very subjective of course and is not intended to say that no albums after MP aren't great; I just think the ones before touched me in a way the ones after didn't.

Edited by rftag
  • Like 1

The transition from pre-chorus to chorus for Witch Hunt is literally a musical orgasm.

Agree with this, but respectfully disagree with everything that comes afterwards.

Time Stand Still is in the top 5 best songs they ever recorded

Geddy's bass sound..both live and in studio...hasn't been as good as it was since Counterparts which IMO was the last time it sounded awesome. At times it's way too clangy and rattle-ey and other times just too damn distorted like he's playing through a stack of blown amps

It's been 4 years and I'm still not blown away and in awe of Clockwork Angels. The concept is fine I guess but the execution, what with Geddy's creaky totally non-understandable vocals and the overlong overstuffed songs all nicely wrapped up in Nick R's typically compressed mush wall of sound didn't move me much. In fact, to be honest, I really can't make it past two songs before I get exhausted.

Edited by jnoble
  • Like 2

I think Hemispheres is the bands most boring album. Nothing stands out as even laugh out loud bad...I'm not a fan although it has its moments.

Clockwork Angels is pretty lame. Has some good songs but otherwise...if any other band had made it no one would have noticed it.

Hold Your Fire is one of the bands greatest masterpieces.

Signals is one of the most uneven albums ever released. Half garbage, half 10/10.

Fly By Night is a fantastic album, possibly better than 2112.

I think Hemispheres is the bands most boring album. Nothing stands out as even laugh out loud bad...I'm not a fan although it has its moments.

Clockwork Angels is pretty lame. Has some good songs but otherwise...if any other band had made it no one would have noticed it.

Hold Your Fire is one of the bands greatest masterpieces.

Signals is one of the most uneven albums ever released. Half garbage, half 10/10.

Fly By Night is a fantastic album, possibly better than 2112.

If only Hold Your Fire didn't have the final two songs and ended appropriatly at Turn The Page......

In fact, just to make it seem right I like to think of High Water and Tai Shan as bonus extras, songs that were recorded but not meant to be part of the album itself :D

Edited by jnoble

Some of their albums overall just aren't good...

If only Snakes consisted of just Far Cry and Malignant Narcissism, just those two songs, it would've been so much better and not a drink coaster at my apartment. :eyeroll:

Yeah but you know, that's what the skip button is for on the remote. ;)

I really like Half The World, always have.

Lyrically it could not be sadly more apt now then it was 20 years ago.

And it doesn't run on too long or have a convoluted riff or any Geddy yodeling or shoe horned lyrics or Nick R's wonderful shitty-wall-of-compressed-mud production. Just a simple intro, verse verse chorus verse structure. Sometimes simple is better to my ears. Same reasons I really like Afterimage.

• Like 1

Vapor Trails (original or remix) is the heaviest set of songs since the debut, and contains the most emotional performances since the debut.

Neil loses the tubular bells and ethnic samples and plays the drum kit like he means it, in a very Keith Moon-like way at times. One of my favorite NP performances; all guts, no unnecessary bells and whistles, and played on what sounds like a very basic, bare-bones, drum kit.

There is some great music on this record.

• Like 7

I think the video for Time Stand Still is amazing, one of the best!!

http://youtu.be/dMSFqXGZ5TQ

The epic ridiculousness of Geddy's hair in this video gave rise to my username :LOL:

I still prefer this version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Trw5Dd8l2Gc

• Like 4

The epic ridiculousness of Geddy's hair in this video gave rise to my username :LOL:

ohmygod this is awesomely ridiculous!!!

the Neil growl was the icing on an already rich cake.

thanks for the laugh!

• Like 2

Oh yes, the hair. Here is geddy talking about it (4:25 mark)

I always loved the robes though! BTW has anybody here dined on honey dew or drunk the milk of paradise?

I miss Ged's voice from the 70's but I can understand why some like his 80's voice/approach better. I think neil's lyrics became more interesting in the 80's and beyond but I'm more partial to the their epic songs even though during the 70's his lyric content was not always as well crafted.

• Like 4