What's wrong with Test For Echo exactly?

AnEggplant

I don't understand how people can hate Test for Echo and Counterparts and rank them lower than Roll The Bones? There's hardly anything redeemable on the latter I'd say.

Dreamline

Eh, it's a 7/10 for me. And even if it were 10/10 what else is there on Roll The Bones? Personally, Animate or Test for Echo are better to Dreamline.

Dreamline is my favorite from the Presto - TFE era, and one of my favorite Rush songs period. It's a pretty simple, straightforward song, but there's something really magical and quintessentially Rush about the way everything comes together in it.

Edited by malnar

That whole era of albums (Presto-TFE) has so many cheesy refrains...

"SHOW ME DON'T TELL ME"

"SUPERCONDUCTOR-DUCTOR-DUCTOR-UCTOR"

"ROLL THE BONES"

"FACE UP"

"BLAH-BLAH-OTICA"

"BLAH-BLAH-IZE ME"

"STICK IT OUT"

"HEEEROOOO"

"VIDEO VERTIGO TEST FOR ECHO"

"DRIVEN TO THE BLAH-BLAH-BLAH"

"HALF THE WORLD"

"DOOOOG YEARS"

and of course, the aforementioned, "NET BOY, NET GIRL"

I actually like some of these songs, but they went overboard with the repetitive phrases.

I think it's just that people are not used to that sort of thing from them: catchy, radio friendly & repetitious. But I don't mind. I like most of those songs.

That's the thing-it just seemed like they were trying so hard to bust-out with a sing-along hit single using that cliched lyrical device during those years.

Edited by malnar

Net Boy ...Net Girl

Nuff said.....................

But seriously. The Song 'Test for Echo', would have been the Best track on VT, SA or CA.............Truth hurts

I disagree, that isn't the truth. However, I don't get why people are so upset about 'net boy net girl'. I'm genuinely confused by why people hate it so much.

Really? Its lame thats why...

It's a little goofy but people seem to forget about the music in this song. The main riff is pretty sweet I think!

I think the whole song is pretty cool on the whole really..:smoke:

Test For Echo just sounds.... uninspired and forced to me, both the music and lyrics. The production is dull and flat. There are a few songs that are decent composition wise but for the most part the album is forgettable.

Counterparts is a solid, well written rock album that I can't take seriously because of the horrible lyrics.

• Like 1

I don't understand how people can hate Test for Echo and Counterparts and rank them lower than Roll The Bones? There's hardly anything redeemable on the latter I'd say.

I suppose it's like choosing whether you'd rather have Motor Neurone Disease or Terminal Bowel Cancer really.

So many mismatched tempo changes that hinder momentum of songs...starts with the title track and continues throughout. Take the title track...slow build intro, the bridge between the intro and the first verse starts rocking hard, then the verse starts and...slower, then the tempo picks up again, then things really get going during the chorus, then, back to slow.

The chorus in Driven worked so much better live.

Time & Motion has a lot of interesting time signatures and all, but it's a bit of an odd mess at times.

I've always referred to this album as "Test For Tempo"

There are no tempo changes in the song test for echo....none...you can tap the quarter note pulse straight through....mood changes? feel changes?... yes...but the quarter pulse is there the entire song....one thing I do agree with is it does sound forced at points....from what I understand there was a bit of fighting in this albums creation....remember reading about lee and lifeson fighting over sounds etc....the other thing being Peart trying to establish a new playing to a pulse concept that Rush never did before....its interesting that NP says he never counts but more or less plows through odd times....many players like Gavin Harrison definitely disect and count out what they play...and you can hear it...

Edited by JBsDWdrums

nothin wrong with counterparts utterly brilliant and so is TFE but i would say that both TFE and roll the bones MIGHT have been improved with the same audio punch of counterparts. RTB just sounds a bit tinny (a correction thankfully made with Counterparts) and TFE MAY suffer from coming across a bit 'cold' in sound production but hey, every time i hear it doesnt matter is a brill album.

Test For Echo is a great album.

I wouldnt say great album, but it does have some great songs.

Test for Echo, Totem, Driven, Half the World

Trivia question, how many times does Ged say Half the World in Half the World?

Roughly the same number of times he sang "Big Money" in The Big Money?

• Like 3

So to may times is the answer?... :)

I listened to RTB in full last night. Well almost in full. I realized I don't hate Face Up as much as I used to. In fact the two other songs The Big Wheel and YBYL I could get thru about a minute and a half of each.

A Lot of the songs from Counterparts to CA would be better if they didn't try to cram lyrics that don't flow with the music. Counterparts was notorious for this and made it uncomfortable for me to listen to some tracks that were very good musically but terrible with regards to vocal arrangement. T4E sounded very commercial to me and I like quite a few tracks that are "safe" and dare I say radio friendly but some others just sound like a train wreck...

Indeed. 24 for Big Money and 22 for Half the World.

• Like 1

You counted?! :LOL:

You counted?! :LOL:

Ctr-F counts for you.

• Like 1

Test for Echo is the only Rush album that has degraded over the years in my opinion. When it was first released, both my brother and I thought it was pretty good. I'm not sure why other than it was the latest album from our favorite band and we were forcing ourselves to appreciate it. Looking back, it just comes across as an album that probably didn't require a whole lot of effort to make. Driven and Resist are the only two tracks worth mentioning and even they are nothing to write home about.

I did love the tour though :)

Caution - long post. Here're my song-by-song reflections:

Test for Echo - I like the two main parts of this song, although I don't know that they belong together. When I first heard it I thought it was promising, with some dominant Lifeson, but I was disappointed with the vocal melodies

Driven - I think this is a great tune. I love the opening riff and how the bass plays thirds over the guitar riff notes (I think), and I love how it cuts away to the acoustic before coming back in full force.

Half the World - I think it's okay. I like the bass on this mostly. I agree that the repetition of that phrase starts to get a little annoying, but I guess it's no different from a lot of other songs with repeated phrasings.

The Color of Right - I think there is some classic Lifeson in this tune, and it's a much better song melodically. The "take it easy on me now" bits are great. If I'd had any input I might have suggested that this one be the lead track. And maybe throw in a more chopsy guitar solo.

Time and Motion - I think this is a pretty good song, in spite of those awful keyboards at the beginning. Nice and guitar heavy, mostly. I'd rather hear Lee sing the verses without the low octave vocal part dominating. The guitar solo is pretty insane - I'd like to know what Lifeson was thinking when he tore that one out of his fingers - and what the other guys were thinking when they heard it. The song drags a bit after the solo.

Totem - I've never liked this song. I don't like the music, especially, or the lyrics that much. Also, I will pretty much always cringe when Lee sings things like "whuh-oh, uh whuh-uh-uh"

Dog Years - what can I say that hasn't already been said? Musically, it's a romp - a bash, but not the sort of Rush chopsy playing that I'm always looking for. I kind of think the lyrics are clever, except when they get too cute. Lee sings this one with a fair bit of energy, which he might have better saved for other songs on the record.

Virtuality - again, what's left to comment on? What a promising riff, a riff to make you stand and pump your fist - and then what a let down when we hear what follows it. Net boy / net girl makes me think of cartoons, and someone on this forum once set the music against some cartoon images, which was pretty classic.

Resist - I have no strong love or antipathy for this song. It does kind of drag, and it does get a little dull on the ears. All I can say about the album version is that I prefer it to the "acoustic duo/unplugged" version.

Limbo - although this has some neat bits, it seems like a pastiche - and I don't understand the point of the Bobby Picket and the Crypt-Kickers samples. However, if I listen to it with focus, I can appreciate it for the musicianship.

Carve Away the Stone - I think this song has some good Rush moments - I like the Lifeson riffs, and I quite like the middle 8 section - very decent solo there.

Edited by toymaker

Is there like a ranking of the albums on the Rush Forum? Like a thread that everyone ranked their albums or something. And then some did a statisictal analysis?