What's wrong with Test For Echo exactly?

AnEggplant

I love everything on Counterparts. T4E is a weak-ish album, but I still love it. I like Dog Years, don't love it, don't hate it. I don't like Virtuality at all, because the lyrical content distracts from the song (which does have a cool riff). There was a cool edit of it on Music in the Abstract for a while, which didn't have the chorus. I would listen to that. I just think the chorus isn't great at all. Obviously, Driven, Test For Echo I love. I love Half The World. I love The Color of Right. I love Carve Away The Stone (I know folks). I love Totem (here too)...

T4E gets way too much hate. None of their stuff, even Roll The Bones is hate worthy (besides Tai Shan, but thats a different topic, and I know some people love it)....

Net Boy ...Net Girl

Nuff said.....................

But seriously. The Song 'Test for Echo', would have been the Best track on VT, SA or CA.............Truth hurts

I disagree, that isn't the truth. However, I don't get why people are so upset about 'net boy net girl'. I'm genuinely confused by why people hate it so much.

Really? Its lame thats why...

It's as forced as tai Shan. Neil decided there was going to be a song showing his knowledge of this secret internet world on the album and they forced it to happen. It sounded corny the second it was released and has not aged well.

Net Boy ...Net Girl

But seriously. The Song 'Test for Echo', would have been the Best track on VT, SA or CA.............Truth hurts

I disagree, that isn't the truth. However, I don't get why people are so upset about 'net boy net girl'. I'm genuinely confused by why people hate it so much.

It's 4th on the Lame Factor, behind VT, SA and CA

I would given the 4 examples I would place it 3rd on the lame factor. CA has some good material I just wish they would have an old fashioned "do over" on it and make it sound pleasant to the ears. A few songs will still suck but the rest would be good in my view...

Just curious because I know you've only fairly recently come to listen to albums such as T4E, which songs do you like from it?

The title track and Driven are good. Resist is ok. I don't know the other songs real well but I know them enough to know that most of them stink. Time And Motion is ok too from what I remember. There are alot of crappy songs on this album to be honest and it starts so good too. Must have been a disappointment to most fans when they first heard it and after the first two songs they were like WTF happened?...
  • Like 1

Net Boy ...Net Girl

It's 4th on the Lame Factor, behind VT, SA and CA

I would given the 4 examples I would place it 3rd on the lame factor. CA has some good material I just wish they would have an old fashioned "do over" on it and make it sound pleasant to the ears. A few songs will still suck but the rest would be good in my view...

Just curious because I know you've only fairly recently come to listen to albums such as T4E, which songs do you like from it?

The title track and Driven are good. Resist is ok. I don't know the other songs real well but I know them enough to know that most of them stink. Time And Motion is ok too from what I remember. There are alot of crappy songs on this album to be honest and it starts so good too. Must have been a disappointment to most fans when they first heard it and after the first two songs they were like WTF happened?...

As much as I like this album, I agree with your point about the start of the record versus the rest of it. Rush was pretty good at the bait and switch back then...they would completely change the vibe of the album after the first, maybe second, track(s). Presto and Roll the Bones come to mind

Counterparts too for that matter. It seems like the majority rank them as the worst Rush albums. I don't know how anyone could rank these as among the worse, especially below Roll The Bones. Personally I like or love every song between these two albums except for The Speed of Love.

While I'm at it, why do Dog Years and Virtuality get such a bad rap? The lyrics are a bit goofy in the former and dated in the latter but musically they're fine, they definitely don't stand out as bad musically to me.

This should be an interesting question for science. ;)

A WTF post salvaged by an RTB slam...

So many mismatched tempo changes that hinder momentum of songs...starts with the title track and continues throughout. Take the title track...slow build intro, the bridge between the intro and the first verse starts rocking hard, then the verse starts and...slower, then the tempo picks up again, then things really get going during the chorus, then, back to slow.

Completely agree. Very weak opening song, far and away my least favorite from any of the 19 studio records. And besides "Driven" (and some of "Time And Motion"), I find the rest of the album as equally blah. IMO, it's as far removed from the classic style of Rush that I loved as they ever got.

So many mismatched tempo changes that hinder momentum of songs...starts with the title track and continues throughout. Take the title track...slow build intro, the bridge between the intro and the first verse starts rocking hard, then the verse starts and...slower, then the tempo picks up again, then things really get going during the chorus, then, back to slow.

The chorus in Driven worked so much better live.

Time & Motion has a lot of interesting time signatures and all, but it's a bit of an odd mess at times.

I've always referred to this album as "Test For Tempo"

Too many songs that feel assembled rather than composed. But I do like Time and Motion.

The chorus in Driven worked so much better live.

Time & Motion has a lot of interesting time signatures and all, but it's a bit of an odd mess at times.

I've always referred to this album as "Test For Tempo"

Too many songs that feel assembled rather than composed. But I do like Time and Motion.

Funny, I'm sure Rush would argue the exact opposite! :LOL:
  • Like 1

Test For Echo is a great album.

I wouldnt say great album, but it does have some great songs.

Test for Echo, Totem, Driven, Half the World

Trivia question, how many times does Ged say Half the World in Half the World? That in itself....

• Like 2

Trivia question, how many times does Ged say Half the World in Half the World? That in itself....

Probably fewer times than he sings "Big Money" in that song, and I freaking LOVE The Big Money.

• Like 2

Half of T4E is really pretty good actually.

Counterparts however is dire...utter dogshit.

Really?

Animate is amazing, Between the Sun and Moon is awesome, Double Agent is super cool, Cut to the Chase rules, and so forth. There's a lot to love on that album.

The opposite of everything you wrote.

Net Boy ...Net Girl

It's a little goofy but people seem to forget about the music in this song. The main riff is pretty sweet I think!

I count zero. But that's because I skip the biggest turd Rush ever released every time it comes up.

I count zero. But that's because I skip the biggest turd Rush ever released every time it comes up.

Of course you skip Counterparts, but what about T4E?

• Like 1

Of course you skip Counterparts, but what about T4E?

If I want soporific observations, I read the collection of poetry my son's poem was published in, with contributions from 2nd through 5th graders, and skip the repetitive aural assault that is HTW. Not that I spend much time at all listening to Counterparts. With the exception of Driven, purging that entire era of Rush wouldn't bother me one bit.

I don't understand how people can hate Test for Echo and Counterparts and rank them lower than Roll The Bones? There's hardly anything redeemable on the latter I'd say.

Dreamline

• Like 1

I don't understand how people can hate Test for Echo and Counterparts and rank them lower than Roll The Bones? There's hardly anything redeemable on the latter I'd say.

Dreamline

Eh, it's a 7/10 for me. And even if it were 10/10 what else is there on Roll The Bones? Personally, Animate or Test for Echo are better to Dreamline.

That whole era of albums (Presto-TFE) has so many cheesy refrains...

"SHOW ME DON'T TELL ME"

"SUPERCONDUCTOR-DUCTOR-DUCTOR-UCTOR"

"ROLL THE BONES"

"FACE UP"

"BLAH-BLAH-OTICA"

"BLAH-BLAH-IZE ME"

"STICK IT OUT"

"HEEEROOOO"

"VIDEO VERTIGO TEST FOR ECHO"

"DRIVEN TO THE BLAH-BLAH-BLAH"

"HALF THE WORLD"

"DOOOOG YEARS"

and of course, the aforementioned, "NET BOY, NET GIRL"

I actually like some of these songs, but they went overboard with the repetitive phrases.

Edited by malnar
  • Like 1

Dreamline

Eh, it's a 7/10 for me. And even if it were 10/10 what else is there on Roll The Bones? Personally, Animate or Test for Echo are better to Dreamline.

I don't get the love for Animate and Test for Echo. I like Virtuality better than TFE.

I do agree that there's not much on RTB than Dreamline and Neurotica, Heresy, and You Bet Your Life are must-skip. And HTW makes the average rating of a song on T4E negative infinity.

Edited by laughedatbytime

Counterparts too for that matter. It seems like the majority rank them as the worst Rush albums. I don't know how anyone could rank these as among the worse, especially below Roll The Bones. Personally I like or love every song between these two albums except for The Speed of Love.

While I'm at it, why do Dog Years and Virtuality get such a bad rap? The lyrics are a bit goofy in the former and dated in the latter but musically they're fine, they definitely don't stand out as bad musically to me.

This should be an interesting question for science. ;)

I like virtuality, dog years, mehh.

That whole era of albums (Presto-TFE) have so many cheesy refrains...

"SHOW ME DON'T TELL ME"

"SUPERCONDUCTOR-DUCTOR-DUCTOR-UCTOR"

"ROLL THE BONES"

"FACE UP"

"BLAH-BLAH-OTICA"

"BLAH-BLAH-IZE ME"

"STICK IT OUT"

"HEEEROOOO"

"VIDEO VERTIGO TEST FOR ECHO"

"DRIVEN TO THE BLAH-BLAH-BLAH"

"HALF THE WORLD"

"DOOOOG YEARS"

and of course, the aforementioned, "NET BOY, NET GIRL"

I actually like some of these songs, but they went overboard with the repetitive phrases.

I think it's just that people are not used to that sort of thing from them: catchy, radio friendly & repetitious. But I don't mind. I like most of those songs.