Solo Geddy and/or Al

toadbrother

All this talk of a Rush spin off of some kind has me wondering. How many Rush fans, even the more casual ones that sell a lot of the cheaper seats, would go see Geddy or Alex play solo, or as part of some supergroup? I'm not asking whether they ever would, but rather what size of tour and what kinds of venues could either or both of them fill?

I know I would be just as likely to go see Geddy play, even if it was a set list made up only partly of Rush songs, as I was to go through the significant costs of seeing Rush (which for me, with ferries, hotels and meals was over a $1,000). But I'm a pretty big fan (though not a "see the band multiple times on a tour" big).

I would go see both guys live if they made solo tours. I don´t care if they play Rush songs or not. They are just awesome guys.

I agree. I'm just wondering if there is enough of us to make a decent tour in decent venues worth it. I think the likelihood of any kind of significant post-Rush presence for either Geddy or Al (or together in some sort of new supergroup) is greatly dependent on the economics. If they're going to lose 50% of their potential ticket buyers because they're only interested in Rush, then I think it's going to be pretty moderate output with only limited touring.

I would probably go see them play solo, as long as it was in a smaller venue. (Not that they'd be able to fill an arena on their own.) But honestly, a lot of it would depend on how much trouble it was to get there, the size of the place, do I have to sit through opening bands I don't like, etc.

I probably wouldn't go see them as part of a supergroup because my impression of those is they are less than the sum of their parts.

Being the face and voice of Rush, I can only assume that more non-fans would see Geddy than Lifeson. Rush fans would see either if schedule and location are doable.

Geddy solo + other artists performing Rush tunes is more passable than Lifeson solo + other artists simply because of the vocals.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

What I'd really like is if they collaborated on an album of all instrumental tunes with a really good session drummer. Maybe in the same vein as the instrumentals on S&A. That's of course assuming that new Rush with Neil is out of the question.

I'm not going to see anyone. I think this is the end for Rush . And I'm not interested in anything like other bands do . Like with Yes ....who is playing keyboards this year is it rick wakeman , his son or jeff downes? Is trevor rabin the guitarist or steve howe? I'm not saying those line ups are not effective just that Rush managed to stay together for 40 years.and that was part of their appeal. in 2000 when they were basically done somehow they kept a fanbase and managed another 15 years so they have had their run. It's over. I don't want to see a Rush without all the original members . I know rutsey was on the first album but lets face it I Rush made it big with Peart. and a Rush without him is not Rush. He is not Keith Moon or John Bonham . He contributed more then just beats to this band .
  • Like 1

All this talk of a Rush spin off of some kind has me wondering. How many Rush fans, even the more casual ones that sell a lot of the cheaper seats, would go see Geddy or Alex play solo, or as part of some supergroup? I'm not asking whether they ever would, but rather what size of tour and what kinds of venues could either or both of them fill?

I think the size of venue they'd play in would depend on who else was in the band.

If they managed to play the arena circuit, I'd pass, but I'd love to see Al or Ged do a theater tour.

If they were near enough I would see them play, even with no Rush songs. I love the bass, enjoyed Ged's solo album, after seeing Alex front row this tour I would love to see him play live again. Going to shows is a major hassle, I have 2 young kids and no family to watch them, so babysitter fees, ticket fees, travel, hotel, etc...it adds up. Edited by hcm

I would see them play together, or either independently. An Alex Lifeson-focused show would be fun, same with a Geddy-centric one.

If hell froze over, a solo Neil show would be neat too.

Hearing rumblings now of a Neil 15 date tour...show to basically be drum solos..taking interludes in between where he will read aloud from his various books and sip bourbon...then back to more soloing..then reading, bourbon, and so on....right now there trying to make arrangements with Howard for a proper accompanying light show...probably not quite "an evening with format" as it will be a 2 hour show...Kevin J Anderson slated as "probable opener" with Q&As regarding his latest work..."2113"....

Hearing rumblings now of a Neil 15 date tour...show to basically be drum solos..taking interludes in between where he will read aloud from his various books and sip bourbon...then back to more soloing..then reading, bourbon, and so on....right now there trying to make arrangements with Howard for a proper accompanying light show...probably not quite "an evening with format" as it will be a 2 hour show...Kevin J Anderson slated as "probable opener" with Q&As regarding his latest work..."2113"....

:smoke:

I'm 100% sure I'll go and see Geddy but I'm not sure about Alex, but I would probably go and see him as well. Also, I'm sure Geddy will record a solo album in the near future. Hope he'll play live as well! Edited by Hemispheres4Echo

And for the VIP price, you get to walk into a room where Neil is just so he can walk out when he sees you coming? ;)

• Like 1

I would go see both but I hope they WOULD NOT play any RUSH songs. Something about that just doesn't seem appropriate for this band.