What US city should I visit first?

The Analog Grownup

What US city should I visit first?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What US city should I visit first?

• New York
    • Boston
    • Chicago
    • Las Vegas
    • Seattle
    • Los Angeles
    • Miami
    • Orlando
    • Ft. Lauderdale
    • San Francisco
    • Goatnut
    • Stay away!
    • One you haven't listed (please tell me which one)

Seattle.

Now.

Do it.

Seriously. We have some great cafes. Good weather, great coffee, amazing music history, decent beer and... holding this out for last because of sheer awesomeness, we have the most disgustingly fun germ-ridden attraction... bubblegum wall.

http://st.depositphotos.com/1007971/1397/i/950/depositphotos_13979162-Seattle-Gum-Wall.jpg

Hey, I mentioned Seattle! Just a great, cool town with a lot to offer.

Seattle has almost too much too offer. I know everyone loves their own city but I really mean it when I say I love this city. The possibilities here are endless. So much to do and see. There's a lure of attraction here, seriously. It's a fabulous place to call home, or visit, for that matter.

And if you don't think that right away, just get some Seattle beer. You'll be all loving, warm, toasty and proclaiming your love for us in no time.

And if the beer doesn't make you feel that way, the pot will.

It's amazing here. Both. Or either.

Seattle.

Now.

Do it.

Seriously. We have some great cafes. Good weather, great coffee, amazing music history, decent beer and... holding this out for last because of sheer awesomeness, we have the most disgustingly fun germ-ridden attraction... bubblegum wall.

http://st.depositphotos.com/1007971/1397/i/950/depositphotos_13979162-Seattle-Gum-Wall.jpg

Seattle has almost too much too offer. I know everyone loves their own city but I really mean it when I say I love this city. The possibilities here are endless. So much to do and see. There's a lure of attraction here, seriously. It's a fabulous place to call home, or visit, for that matter.

And if you don't think that right away, just get some Seattle beer. You'll be all loving, warm, toasty and proclaiming your love for us in no time.

I like the airport. :P

Seattle.

Now.

Do it.

Oh lord, luckily I missed this when I was in Seattle!

I think Chicago us a great start. Lots to see, good public transportation, and not too overwhelming. From there, head west to Seattle, Frisco, LA and San Diego. Work your way back east and end with New York. The Mt. Everest of American cities. Plus, it leaves a short flight home.
  • Like 2

Seattle.

Now.

Do it.

I like the airport. :P

Bring a raincoat. Two, actually, just in case.

Tell us a little more about yourself. Traveling alone, with spouse, with kids? Any particular interests, shopping, outdoors, beaches? It's a big ass country

Good point. I will be traveling alone most likely without a car so I'm looking for a city with good public transportation. I'm not much into shopping but other than that I'm open to almost anything. :)

I always tend to gravitate towards San Fran but it's always nice to hear suggestions from the ones living in the country I'd like to visit :)

Seattle.

Now.

Do it.

Seriously. We have some great cafes. Good weather, great coffee, amazing music history, decent beer and a Tai Shan NFL football team... holding this out for last because of sheer awesomeness, we have the most disgustingly fun germ-ridden attraction... bubblegum wall.

Fixed that for ya.

;)

As far as cities go, SF is pretty. It's built on hills and surrounded on three sides by water. Drive an hour and you can be in farmland, wine country, or still in suburbia. Drive a few hours and you'll see some of the most gorgeous wilderness, tall mountains, and the tallest trees in the world.

We are very ethnically and culturally diverse here. I think the city is slightly less than 50% white, and there are people from all over the world here, with large populations from eastern & southeastern Asia, and Central America. You can't throw a rock without hitting a good restaurant.

The downside? It's probably the most expensive place in this country, there are thousands of homeless people, and public transit is less than ideal.

The major reason SF is on my list is the gorgeous nature nearby. If I can read a map correctly it isn't that far a drive to Yosemite and Grand Canyon. But then I would have to take that drivers license.

• Like 1

Tell us a little more about yourself. Traveling alone, with spouse, with kids? Any particular interests, shopping, outdoors, beaches? It's a big ass country

Good point. I will be traveling alone most likely without a car so I'm looking for a city with good public transportation. I'm not much into shopping but other than that I'm open to almost anything. :)

NYC. Plenty to do and see with excellent public transportation. Lordy I miss the subway.

Seattle.

Now.

Do it.

Is it legal to smoke pot in Seattle? In Denmark I wouldn't care either way because if you get caught you get a slap on your hand and go about your day. If I chose to light one up I wouldn't like to face the music in a foreign country.

And isn't the weather supposed to be crap in Seattle? That's all I ever hear about :eh: Then again I come from a rainy country so what do I know ;)

As far as cities go, SF is pretty. It's built on hills and surrounded on three sides by water. Drive an hour and you can be in farmland, wine country, or still in suburbia. Drive a few hours and you'll see some of the most gorgeous wilderness, tall mountains, and the tallest trees in the world.

We are very ethnically and culturally diverse here. I think the city is slightly less than 50% white, and there are people from all over the world here, with large populations from eastern & southeastern Asia, and Central America. You can't throw a rock without hitting a good restaurant.

The downside? It's probably the most expensive place in this country, there are thousands of homeless people, and public transit is less than ideal.

The major reason SF is on my list is the gorgeous nature nearby. If I can read a map correctly it isn't that far a drive to Yosemite and Grand Canyon. But then I would have to take that drivers license.

Depends what you mean by "not that far a drive". Offhand I'd guess San Fran to the Grand Canyon is definitely over 1,000 kilometers.

Another important point is how much time you'll have. If you'll have a couple of weeks or more then I'd say: get your international license in your home country then hit up Sedona and the Grand Canyon when you're stateside. If you only have a week then I'd say NYC.

Also, when are you planning on going? If July-September then I'd skip Florida. It's hot as hell then and there's a good chance of storms and/or hurricanes...I grew up in Jacksonville, FL.

Realistically I'm talking next summer, or perhaps in october. It will be a week. :)

To squeeze in San Fran + Yosemite and/or Grand Canyon in a week not including flights and driving time would be greedy and too RUSHed. Hit up NYC: no probs with transport, good food, endless choices of things to do. More than likely there'll be a rock gig that you'll want to check out while you're there too.

• Like 1

I always tend to gravitate towards San Fran but it's always nice to hear suggestions from the ones living in the country I'd like to visit :)

That's helpful. Most cities have public buses but I wouldn't describe them as good public transportation. That limits you to more compact areas with train/subway service IMO. I would scratch Orlando off the list for this reason and no kids. I would focus more on the large metro areas like New York, Chicago, San Fran. Most places are very spread out here so rental cars are the best bet if you want to venture outside the cities.

Just from looking at your list from top to bottom, I would say take your pick among New York, Chicago, Seattle or San Francisco. You can't go wrong with any of them. New York is probably the most tourist-like out of all those, so if you don't fancy that, any of the other three are excellent choices.
  • Like 1

Milwaukee, I'll buy you beer

Actually, Chicago is a bigger city, more to do... and it's close enough... I could still buy you beer if I drive a little. Plus, if you love traffic, that's the place for you :)
  • Like 2

Yosemite is about three hours away, and I think you can get there via bus. The Grand Canyon is at least a full day's drive, and it would be easier to fly there. But if you're in SF make sure you spend at least a day exploring the coast. We have some sandy beaches here, but the real beauty is in the wild and mountainous coastlines.

• Like 2

Realistically I'm talking next summer, or perhaps in october. It will be a week. :)

To squeeze in San Fran + Yosemite and/or Grand Canyon in a week not including flights and driving time would be greedy and too RUSHed. Hit up NYC: no probs with transport, good food, endless choices of things to do. More than likely there'll be a rock gig that you'll want to check out while you're there too.

A week isn't much time. New York is your best bet, I think. The West is big, and takes time.