What US city should I visit first?

The Analog Grownup

What US city should I visit first?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What US city should I visit first?

• New York
    • Boston
    • Chicago
    • Las Vegas
    • Seattle
    • Los Angeles
    • Miami
    • Orlando
    • Ft. Lauderdale
    • San Francisco
    • Goatnut
    • Stay away!
    • One you haven't listed (please tell me which one)

Why isn't DC on the list? It's a pretty cool place to visit, especially for the museums and monuments

Traffic is awesome too. A very SAFE city

Funny guy...

The traffic is atrocious sometimes, but I think some of the other cities that have been mentioned here are worse.

Call me looney tunes, but I've never minded the traffic in DC. And LIX is right, there is a lot to see and do. A lot of history, if you're into that kind of thing.

• Like 1

Let your stomach choose...

Thin crust pizza? New York

Deep Dish? Chicago

Tacos? Miami

Seafood? San Fran

Coffee? Seattle

Everything in buffet form? Las Vegas

Best Barbecue in Tennessee? Goatnut

Fixed

Mmmm, barbecue...

:drool:

I'm not online that much these days due to very long hours at work, but just wanted to let you know that I read your suggestions, take them to heart and are grateful for you time. Thank you! :)

Forgive me if some of this has already been answered...

You only have about one week to visit, right? Are you into sightseeing? Do you want to see a city and do all those quintessential touristy things? Do you like the big city or more small town? Are you a city guy or a country guy? If you really like the big city then I would probably visit NYC or Chicago, personally I would lean towards NYC. Much more to do. Chicago has a lot of what NYC has but NYC will have more options. Plus, you will be close to Boston and you will get a good feel for early America, history and architecture. Or, are you more of a nature guy, into hiking, camping, etc? If that's the case then maybe plan for a Midwest trip?? A good in-between option is of course Seattle/Portland. Some big city life and some nature. It's all new over here on the west coast. Not a lot of impressive architecture of historical buildings though.

Again though, it comes down to what you're interested in. You only have one week here so make it perfect! It should be exactly what you are into. Of course everyone who lives in the States is going to say their city is the best. You should only listen to me though because, truly, Seattle is the best. ;)

Oh and to answer your pot question earlier, you CANNOT smoke in public. So, I'll have to get you stoned indoors. :)

This is completely off-topic, but Janie, why didn't you come to the meetup before the show?!

So, reading through all this I can see that you've got some tough choices to make. The real challenge is the one week window. You live in Europe, so the question for me would be what is it about the US that makes it worth travelling so far? We have great cities, but so does Europe - to a much greater degree. When I talk with Europeans that come here to visit, their take away is rarely how great City X was. It's almost always the geography, especially the geography of the West. Janie mentioned not wanting to spend time in a car, but travelling the south and northwest US by car can be an amazing experience for someone that lives in an are as compact geographically as Europe. Of course, that takes time.

I still think I'd stick to the East Coast with only a one week window.

• Like 4

So, reading through all this I can see that you've got some tough choices to make. The real challenge is the one week window. You live in Europe, so the question for me would be what is it about the US that makes it worth travelling so far? We have great cities, but so does Europe - to a much greater degree. When I talk with Europeans that come here to visit, their take away is rarely how great City X was. It's almost always the geography, especially the geography of the West. Janie mentioned not wanting to spend time in a car, but travelling the south and northwest US by car can be an amazing experience for someone that lives in an are as compact geographically as Europe. Of course, that takes time.

Good point,

Coming so far for a week. I would stick to one city and the surrounding areas. Just not enough time for much else.

• Like 1

Good point,

Coming so far for a week. I would stick to one city and the surrounding areas. Just not enough time for much else.

The East is so much more compact geographically, it makes more sense.
  • Like 1

Good point,

Yeah, but on the other hand you could see and do a lot in a week. In 2010 I was 3 days in Chicago, saw a Rush show (!), drove to Omaha (1 day), spent 1 day there and saw a Rush show (!!), drove to Minneapolis/St. Paul, spent 2 days there and saw another Rush show (!!!). I mean when you're short in time, try to see the most you can. It's all a matter of good preperation and planning, and with the technology these days, it's even easier to do.

• Like 3

Good point,

Yeah, but on the other hand you could see and do a lot in a week. In 2010 I was 3 days in Chicago, saw a Rush show (!), drove to Omaha (1 day), spent 1 day there and saw a Rush show (!!), drove to Minneapolis/St. Paul, spent 2 days there and saw another Rush show (!!!). I mean when you're short in time, try to see the most you can. It's all a matter of good preperation and planning, and with the technology these days, it's even easier to do.

Have you recovered from that episode with the boys from Brazil Mike?
  • Like 1

Good point,

Yes,

But like Goose posted. I would do it on the east coast. You can cover a lot of ground in a week. Just depends on the planning and your interests.

• Like 1

Good point,

That was hard shit man. No doubt. Those guys were nuts and I loved it. :smoke:

• Like 1

Good point,

Yes,

But like Goose posted. I would do it on the east coast. You can cover a lot of ground in a week. Just depends on the planning and your interests.

I agree. The West may be too huge within that timeframe.

No chance to see more than a fractional amount of a fractional part.

• Like 1

Good point,

That was hard shit man. No doubt. Those guys were nuts and I loved it. :smoke:

I could tell when you walked up to me before breakfast and said "Duff I f***ed up"
  • Like 2

Your country is just so diverse in everything that it's really an abundance of choices. I tend to be the kind of person who gets lots in choices, so I always try to limit my choices to the bare essentials. The two major choices in this matter is scenery or city and I'm trying to get both. I know my trip will be very expensive and it will take a lot of hard work to save that money, so I just want to the maximize what I'll get out it.

Plane tickets have become very affordable so planning ahead on places to stay and renting a car will probably save me a lot of money. But I still can't decide :)

Your country is just so diverse in everything that it's really an abundance of choices. I tend to be the kind of person who gets lots in choices, so I always try to limit my choices to the bare essentials. The two major choices in this matter is scenery or city and I'm trying to get both. I know my trip will be very expensive and it will take a lot of hard work to save that money, so I just want to the maximize what I'll get out it.

Plane tickets have become very affordable so planning ahead on places to stay and renting a car will probably save me a lot of money. But I still can't decide :)

I hear you. Then, there's the choice of what kind of natural scenery. Forestry. Tropical beaches. Mountains...red, green, and brown. Swampland. Deserts. Truly you can't go wrong with any choice. The one week time limit is the thing to consider most.

• Like 1

I hear you. Then, there's the choice of what kind of natural scenery. Forestry. Tropical beaches. Mountains...red, green, and brown. Swampland. Deserts. Truly you can't go wrong with any choice. The one week time limit is the thing to consider most.

I agree and that's only easy choice for me. One week is not enough :)

Goatnut awaits you my friend...it is heaven on earth. New York is hell.
  • Like 1

The time of year matters ad well. If you are planning a Fall trip, the American northest is the place. You'll have the Cities, plus some of the most beautiful fall color imaginable.
  • Like 1

As far as cities go, SF is pretty. It's built on hills and surrounded on three sides by water. Drive an hour and you can be in farmland, wine country, or still in suburbia. Drive a few hours and you'll see some of the most gorgeous wilderness, tall mountains, and the tallest trees in the world.

We are very ethnically and culturally diverse here. I think the city is slightly less than 50% white, and there are people from all over the world here, with large populations from eastern & southeastern Asia, and Central America. You can't throw a rock without hitting a good restaurant.

The downside? It's probably the most expensive place in this country, there are thousands of homeless people, and public transit is less than ideal.

The major reason SF is on my list is the gorgeous nature nearby. If I can read a map correctly it isn't that far a drive to Yosemite and Grand Canyon. But then I would have to take that drivers license.

Come to Boston. We have good public transportation. We're small enough that you can actually walk to and from many of the big sights. We have great historical sites. We don't have the awe inspiring natural sites like the Grand Canyon though.

As far as cities go, SF is pretty. It's built on hills and surrounded on three sides by water. Drive an hour and you can be in farmland, wine country, or still in suburbia. Drive a few hours and you'll see some of the most gorgeous wilderness, tall mountains, and the tallest trees in the world.

We are very ethnically and culturally diverse here. I think the city is slightly less than 50% white, and there are people from all over the world here, with large populations from eastern & southeastern Asia, and Central America. You can't throw a rock without hitting a good restaurant.

The downside? It's probably the most expensive place in this country, there are thousands of homeless people, and public transit is less than ideal.

The major reason SF is on my list is the gorgeous nature nearby. If I can read a map correctly it isn't that far a drive to Yosemite and Grand Canyon. But then I would have to take that drivers license.

Come to Boston. We have good public transportation. We're small enough that you can actually walk to and from many of the big sights. We have great historical sites. We don't have the awe inspiring natural sites like the Grand Canyon though.

Should that be "Please come to Boston"?
  • Like 2