What US city should I visit first?

The Analog Grownup

What US city should I visit first?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What US city should I visit first?

• New York
    • Boston
    • Chicago
    • Las Vegas
    • Seattle
    • Los Angeles
    • Miami
    • Orlando
    • Ft. Lauderdale
    • San Francisco
    • Goatnut
    • Stay away!
    • One you haven't listed (please tell me which one)

Let your stomach choose...

Thin crust pizza? New York

Deep Dish? Chicago

Tacos? Miami

Seafood? San Fran

Coffee? Seattle

Everything in buffet form? Las Vegas

Best Barbecue in Tennessee? Goatnut

Fixed

Never been... yet... so I didn't know what to say.
  • Like 1

Cities suck. Get out and see some scenery.

so you voted for Goatnut, TN?

If it has to be a city I would vote for NYC. But there is so much beautiful scenery in this country that it would be a waste to just visit a city. They all start looking alike after a while.

Deep Dish? Chicago

Tacos? Miami

Seafood? San Fran

Coffee? Seattle

Fixed

Well it's a fact Tennessee's best is in Goatnut

http://www.heraldcourier.com/news/ridgewood-named-best-bbq-in-tennessee/article_f7f8c066-ede7-11e3-8b9b-0017a43b2370.html

Ridgewood named best BBQ in Tennessee

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/heraldcourier.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/c/28/c284d0d8-edb4-11e3-bff7-001a4bcf6878/53921d1c73252.image.jpg?resize=300%2C220

DAVID CRIGGER/BHC

Tennessee Economic and Community Development Commisssioner Bill Hagerty shows Ridgewood owner Larry Proffitt all of the restaurants that were in the running for the best barbecue restaurant in the state.

Buy this photo

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/heraldcourier.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/c/5a/c5ad3ec6-edb4-11e3-86d2-001a4bcf6878/53921d21bc4d0.image.jpg?resize=300%2C276http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/heraldcourier.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/c/b6/cb6ac28e-edb4-11e3-bf00-001a4bcf6878/53921d2b61bf7.image.jpg?resize=300%2C232http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/heraldcourier.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/d/16/d1632776-edb4-11e3-9f8e-001a4bcf6878/53921d3566d9f.image.jpg?resize=300%2C202http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/heraldcourier.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/d/5e/d5e03474-edb4-11e3-ade2-001a4bcf6878/53921d3ce6941.image.jpg?resize=300%2C182

Posted: Friday, June 6, 2014 10:03 pm

BY JAMES SHEA | GOATNUT BALLBREAKER TRIBUNE |

Goatnut, Tenn. — The rest of Tennessee now knows what residents in the Tri-Cities have understood for a long time — Ridgewood Barbecue has the best barbecue in Tennessee.

The iconic restaurant, tucked away on Elizabethton Highway, was voted the top barbecue spot in an online Facebook poll by the Tennessee Department of Economic and Community Development. Ridgewood beat out 30 other barbecue places around the state, including the well-known Rendezvous in Memphis.

Tennessee Commissioner of Economic Development Bill Hagerty visited Ridgewood on Friday and presented the owner, Larry Proffitt, with a certificate and dined on a pork sandwich.

“It was outstanding,” said Hagerty of his sandwich. “It was like heaven on earth here at Ridgewood Barbecue. You can tell Miss Proffitt’s genes are transferring all the way through the system to the third generation. It was outstanding. I can understand why Ridgewood won.”

Hagerty said the contest was created to recognize and encourage entrepreneurial activity in Tennessee. A business like Ridgewood, he said, reflects the hard work and dedication of any successful small business.

“This is a place where I’m sure a lot of commerce takes place, where a lot of friendships and bonds are formed,” Hagerty said. “It’s an important part of the community. It’s an important part of the economy.”

Ridgewood was founded in the late 1940s by Proffitt’s father and two others. It started as a place that sold beer and steaks. But in 1952, Sullivan County went dry and the little eatery could no longer sell beer. Proffitt’s father bought out the other two men and decided to have a go at barbecue.

There was a lot of learning in the early days.

“He built his first pit right out here,” Proffitt said. “He built it out of blocks. Before long, the grease got in there and it went into flames. Then he built one out of bricks. It’s like the three little pigs. And in a short time, it went up in smoke. The final design is concrete on the outside and inside there is a layer of fire bricks, like what is in your fireplace.”

Proffitt said he’s honored to be recognized by the state. He said the key to the restaurant has been consistency, something his mother was “dogmatic” about.

“In 1983, I went with my mother to be on ‘Good Morning America’ with Joan Lunden,” Proffitt said. “That was big time, but this is special because this is the state of Tennessee. We are Tennesseans.”

Proffitt’s daughter, Lisa, runs the restaurant now and has preserved the family recipes, especially the sauce, which is not written down. He said many people say they have copied the sauce, but nobody can duplicate the family recipe.

“My father developed the recipe,” Proffitt said. “My brother and my father and my mother and I all memorized it. My brother, two years before he died said, ‘Don’t you think we should give the recipe to Lisa?’ I said, ‘It’s not time.’ My brother died of a heart attack in 2002. A week later, I brought my daughter over and wrote it down. She memorized it. After about three times of making 40 gallons of sauce, I came out and got a pack of matches and said, ‘Have you got it?’ She said, ‘Yes.’ I struck [the matches] and said, ‘There goes your recipe.’”

Ray Harrington, who serves on the Bluff City Board of Mayor and Aldermen and helps manage the restaurant, said Hagerty’s visit was important for Bluff City.

“It’s hard to believe we beat out some of those places,” Harrington said. “It’s a big accomplishment for Bluff City. It puts us on the map.”

jshea@bristolnews.com | 276-645-2511 | @bhcjames | facebook.com/james.shea.7127 |

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 2

LA because I'm an hour an a half away :hi: . JK, I think New York would be nice to visit.
  • Like 1

Deep Dish? Chicago

Tacos? Miami

Seafood? San Fran

Coffee? Seattle

Fixed

Well it's a fact Tennessee's best is in Goatnut

http://www.heraldcou...17a43b2370.html

Ridgewood named best BBQ in Tennessee

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/heraldcourier.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/c/28/c284d0d8-edb4-11e3-bff7-001a4bcf6878/53921d1c73252.image.jpg?resize=300%2C220

DAVID CRIGGER/BHC

Tennessee Economic and Community Development Commisssioner Bill Hagerty shows Ridgewood owner Larry Proffitt all of the restaurants that were in the running for the best barbecue restaurant in the state.

Buy this photo

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/heraldcourier.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/c/5a/c5ad3ec6-edb4-11e3-86d2-001a4bcf6878/53921d21bc4d0.image.jpg?resize=300%2C276http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/heraldcourier.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/c/b6/cb6ac28e-edb4-11e3-bf00-001a4bcf6878/53921d2b61bf7.image.jpg?resize=300%2C232http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/heraldcourier.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/d/16/d1632776-edb4-11e3-9f8e-001a4bcf6878/53921d3566d9f.image.jpg?resize=300%2C202http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/heraldcourier.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/d/5e/d5e03474-edb4-11e3-ade2-001a4bcf6878/53921d3ce6941.image.jpg?resize=300%2C182

Posted: Friday, June 6, 2014 10:03 pm

BY JAMES SHEA | GOATNUT BALLBREAKER TRIBUNE |

Goatnut, Tenn. — The rest of Tennessee now knows what residents in the Tri-Cities have understood for a long time — Ridgewood Barbecue has the best barbecue in Tennessee.

The iconic restaurant, tucked away on Elizabethton Highway, was voted the top barbecue spot in an online Facebook poll by the Tennessee Department of Economic and Community Development. Ridgewood beat out 30 other barbecue places around the state, including the well-known Rendezvous in Memphis.

Tennessee Commissioner of Economic Development Bill Hagerty visited Ridgewood on Friday and presented the owner, Larry Proffitt, with a certificate and dined on a pork sandwich.

“It was outstanding,” said Hagerty of his sandwich. “It was like heaven on earth here at Ridgewood Barbecue. You can tell Miss Proffitt’s genes are transferring all the way through the system to the third generation. It was outstanding. I can understand why Ridgewood won.”

Hagerty said the contest was created to recognize and encourage entrepreneurial activity in Tennessee. A business like Ridgewood, he said, reflects the hard work and dedication of any successful small business.

“This is a place where I’m sure a lot of commerce takes place, where a lot of friendships and bonds are formed,” Hagerty said. “It’s an important part of the community. It’s an important part of the economy.”

Ridgewood was founded in the late 1940s by Proffitt’s father and two others. It started as a place that sold beer and steaks. But in 1952, Sullivan County went dry and the little eatery could no longer sell beer. Proffitt’s father bought out the other two men and decided to have a go at barbecue.

There was a lot of learning in the early days.

“He built his first pit right out here,” Proffitt said. “He built it out of blocks. Before long, the grease got in there and it went into flames. Then he built one out of bricks. It’s like the three little pigs. And in a short time, it went up in smoke. The final design is concrete on the outside and inside there is a layer of fire bricks, like what is in your fireplace.”

Proffitt said he’s honored to be recognized by the state. He said the key to the restaurant has been consistency, something his mother was “dogmatic” about.

“In 1983, I went with my mother to be on ‘Good Morning America’ with Joan Lunden,” Proffitt said. “That was big time, but this is special because this is the state of Tennessee. We are Tennesseans.”

Proffitt’s daughter, Lisa, runs the restaurant now and has preserved the family recipes, especially the sauce, which is not written down. He said many people say they have copied the sauce, but nobody can duplicate the family recipe.

“My father developed the recipe,” Proffitt said. “My brother and my father and my mother and I all memorized it. My brother, two years before he died said, ‘Don’t you think we should give the recipe to Lisa?’ I said, ‘It’s not time.’ My brother died of a heart attack in 2002. A week later, I brought my daughter over and wrote it down. She memorized it. After about three times of making 40 gallons of sauce, I came out and got a pack of matches and said, ‘Have you got it?’ She said, ‘Yes.’ I struck [the matches] and said, ‘There goes your recipe.’”

Ray Harrington, who serves on the Bluff City Board of Mayor and Aldermen and helps manage the restaurant, said Hagerty’s visit was important for Bluff City.

“It’s hard to believe we beat out some of those places,” Harrington said. “It’s a big accomplishment for Bluff City. It puts us on the map.”

jshea@bristolnews.com | 276-645-2511 | @bhcjames | facebook.com/james.shea.7127 |

As an aside, the appetizer served at the Ridgewood is saltine crackers and the best blue cheese salad dressing you've ever eaten. I'm not making it up.

I'm not online that much these days due to very long hours at work, but just wanted to let you know that I read your suggestions, take them to heart and are grateful for you time. Thank you! :)

Forgive me if some of this has already been answered...

You only have about one week to visit, right? Are you into sightseeing? Do you want to see a city and do all those quintessential touristy things? Do you like the big city or more small town? Are you a city guy or a country guy? If you really like the big city then I would probably visit NYC or Chicago, personally I would lean towards NYC. Much more to do. Chicago has a lot of what NYC has but NYC will have more options. Plus, you will be close to Boston and you will get a good feel for early America, history and architecture. Or, are you more of a nature guy, into hiking, camping, etc? If that's the case then maybe plan for a Midwest trip?? A good in-between option is of course Seattle/Portland. Some big city life and some nature. It's all new over here on the west coast. Not a lot of impressive architecture of historical buildings though.

Again though, it comes down to what you're interested in. You only have one week here so make it perfect! It should be exactly what you are into. Of course everyone who lives in the States is going to say their city is the best. You should only listen to me though because, truly, Seattle is the best. ;)

Oh and to answer your pot question earlier, you CANNOT smoke in public. So, I'll have to get you stoned indoors. :)

To make it even more difficult I'm into both city and scenery. Right now I kind of feel overwhelm by the possibilities :)

Can't smoke pot anymore. It's too strong and my heart starts pounding like crazy. Not a great feeling :(

• Like 2

I'm not online that much these days due to very long hours at work, but just wanted to let you know that I read your suggestions, take them to heart and are grateful for you time. Thank you! :)

You only have about one week to visit, right? Are you into sightseeing? Do you want to see a city and do all those quintessential touristy things? Do you like the big city or more small town? Are you a city guy or a country guy? If you really like the big city then I would probably visit NYC or Chicago, personally I would lean towards NYC. Much more to do. Chicago has a lot of what NYC has but NYC will have more options. Plus, you will be close to Boston and you will get a good feel for early America, history and architecture. Or, are you more of a nature guy, into hiking, camping, etc? If that's the case then maybe plan for a Midwest trip?? A good in-between option is of course Seattle/Portland. Some big city life and some nature. It's all new over here on the west coast. Not a lot of impressive architecture of historical buildings though.

Again though, it comes down to what you're interested in. You only have one week here so make it perfect! It should be exactly what you are into. Of course everyone who lives in the States is going to say their city is the best. You should only listen to me though because, truly, Seattle is the best. ;)

Oh and to answer your pot question earlier, you CANNOT smoke in public. So, I'll have to get you stoned indoors. :)

Can't smoke pot anymore. It's too strong and my heart starts pounding like crazy. Not a great feeling :(

amazing the freedom you'll find, from the things you leave behind.

People are still smoking it ALOT in public though. I smelled it everywhere...especially by the waterfront

Okay, from what I gather of this smorgasbord of information I will be better off with a drivers license and more than a week, so I'll have time to take in both city and scenery? Perhaps start off in Chicago for an easy start, then head west to Seattle for some p.. I mean coffee and from there down to SF. Then San Diego and NYC and back home.

Damn that's gonna be expensive! :LOL:

That's very poetic. I like it :)

You mind if I qoute you in my signature?

Edited by The Analog Grownup
  • Like 1

Milwaukee, I'll buy you beer

Actually, Chicago is a bigger city, more to do... and it's close enough... I could still buy you beer if I drive a little. Plus, if you love traffic, that's the place for you :)

And should you ever come to Denmark I'll buy you a round. Doesn't matter where as Denmark is so small ;)

• Like 1

It's a dangerous thing...going out your front door...
  • Like 1

It's a dangerous thing...going out your front door...

F--you Goose. Yes analog man...you may
  • Like 1

Okay, from what I gather of this smorgasbord of information I will be better off with a drivers license and more than a week, so I'll have time to take in both city and scenery? Perhaps start off in Chicago for an easy start, then head west to Seattle for some p.. I mean coffee and from there down to SF. Then San Diego and NYC and back home.

And it would take a lot longer than a week. :)

• Like 2

Reading this thread, and thinking about a friend who recently roadtripped across the country and back, I'm starting to think it would be a cool thing to do myself. For all the travelling I've done I've seen very little of my own country.
  • Like 2

Reading this thread, and thinking about a friend who recently roadtripped across the country and back, I'm starting to think it would be a cool thing to do myself. For all the travelling I've done I've seen very little of my own country.

I've seen more of Europe and Mexico than my own country, really. I retire in June, and my plan is to homeschool the lad - he'll be ten - and travel the US for a year.
  • Like 4

I retire in June, and my plan is to homeschool the lad - he'll be ten - and travel the US for a year.

I envy you my friend. Your son, while an incredible child now, will become something beyond your imagination. Care like that can only mean good things

I would really love to do what your friend did. Just get the fu** out of Dodge for a while and see the sites. Hit the back roads. :cool:

• Like 2

I would really love to do what your friend did. Just get the fu** out of Dodge for a while and see the sites. Hit the back roads. :cool:

Yeah...go somplace cool and off the beaten path...like Alaska...

• Like 3

I retire in June, and my plan is to homeschool the lad - he'll be ten - and travel the US for a year.

I envy you my friend. Your son, while an incredible child now, will become something beyond your imagination. Care like that can only mean good things

Here's hoping!
  • Like 1

Yeah...go somplace cool and off the beaten path...like Alaska...

Been there done that. :D

For me it would be the lower 48. :cool:

• Like 2

To make it even more difficult I'm into both city and scenery. Right now I kind of feel overwhelm by the possibilities :)

There are a lot of choices and I can see how it's overwhelming! Good thing you have a year to decide. One other question, which may help you whittle it down... if you want to do a lot of sightseeing, are you willing to spend the time traveling to see the sights or do you want all the sights in a close area? Personally, I would want a TON of sights in close proximity. I want to see and experience a lot without the headache or hassle of travel time and/or trying to figure out how I'm getting there and dealing with the sad realization that all my extra travel time means I'm spending my time in a car, bus or either instead of actually doing something.

If pot makes you jumpy, maybe don't come to Seattle because our other vice is coffee which will only make you more jumpy!

You'll need a lot more money AND time! That's too much! You'll be racing around like crazy. Seriously, I would pick just one city and absorb as much culture, food, architecture, art, music, theatre, nature... that city offers.

Don't run yourself ragged! You won't enjoy the experience.

• Like 1