Live Albums

madra sneachta

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Aug 30 2005, 01:52 PM)
I'm just listening to "A Million Miles Away", and realised that there is one unforgiveable omission from my original list -

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00001OH7G.01._PE8_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Yes! Rory live was something else.

Anyone willing to give this legend a try should check out:

Live In Europe

Stagestruck

Taste - Live At The Isle of Wight

I need to pull up iTunes to make a full post, but I can do this now.. I have a shit load of Live albums.

But I'll post some of my favorates

Pink Floyd- Pulse

Pink Floyd - Is there anybody out there "The Wall" live

Yes- Yessongs

Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe - An evening of Yes music Plus

Dream Theater - Score

Scorpions - Tokyo Tapes

Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere (Technically a DVD, but I have an Audio Rip)

ill come up with more later

Rush - All The World's A Stage

Yes - Yessongs

(I don't have all that many live records besides Rush and Yes.)

Jethro Tull - A Little Light Music

PG - Secret World Live

Roger Waters - In The Flesh

Zappa - The Best Band You Never Heard in Your Life

Much as I love Queen and LZ their live recordings sound not nearly as good as their studio albums to me

QUOTE (HisCounterpart @ Mar 30 2009, 11:37 AM)
Much as I love Queen and LZ their live recordings sound not nearly as good as their studio albums to me

Really? Because I'd certainly say How the West Was Won is one of the all-time great live albums.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Mar 30 2009, 08:35 PM)
Much as I love Queen and LZ  their live recordings sound not nearly as good as their studio albums to me

Really? Because I'd certainly say How the West Was Won is one of the all-time great live albums.

Well each to their own, I suppose. Although I have to say How the West Was Won definitely sounds better than The Song Remains The Same. It's a great film but it's impossible for me to listen to it as an audio.

QUOTE (theworkingman @ Mar 30 2009, 10:57 PM)

Much as I love Queen and LZ  their live recordings sound not nearly as good as their studio albums to me

Live Killers

That's all I have to say

The recording quality is awful on that one... Although I have to say I have a soft spot for the fast version of WWRY

now is this just albums or including dvds? usually the dvds feature more songs. anywho...

albums

Fleetwood Mac - Live

cds and dvds

Fleetwood Mac - The Dance

John Mayer - Where the light is

Metallica - S&M

dvds

Stevie Nicks - Live at Red Rocks(funniest shit ever)

Tenacious D - The Complete Master Works vol. 2

and all Rush, of course!

I have a lot of bootlegs in my iTouch, but if I were to limit it to strictly offical live albums, my favorites would be...

The Cure - Show & Paris

Depeche Mode - 101

Dire Straits - Alchemy

Peter Gabriel - Plays Live

John Lennon - Live In New York City

Nine Inch Nails - And All That Could Have Been

Gary Numan - Scarred

Radiohead - I Might Be Wrong

The Smiths - Rank

Yes - Yessongs

Thinking this over I realized I'm not a big fan of live albums. Anyway, here are my non-Rush favs:

Cheap Trick At Budokan

Kiss Alive!

The Who Live at Leeds

Robyn Hitchcock & The Egyptians - Gotta Let This Hen Out!

That's about it. Also, I'm not that much of a fan of Rush's live albums either. All the World's a Stage is the only one I listen to regularly.

Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains The Same

Lynard Skynyrd - One More From The Road

Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive

AC/DC - If You Want Blood

all good ones....

I'll add:

Every Rush live recording of course

Eagles Hell Freezes Over

Clapton Unplugged

Who Live at Leeds

QUOTE (HisCounterpart @ Mar 30 2009, 06:56 PM)
QUOTE (theworkingman @ Mar 30 2009, 10:57 PM)

Live Killers

That's all I have to say

The recording quality is awful on that one...

...but the performances are great. There's a sincerity that comes across on that live collection that I love.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 2 2009, 06:57 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHMUSE @ Mar 31 2009, 04:33 PM)
H.A.R.P.

The live album that ALL live albums should compare themselves to.

If only they made a CD of the Glasto '04 show that came out on DVD. Then no-one would pick HAARP.

yes.gif

I am a huge fan of HAARP, but Glastonbury was incredible

The Police - Certifiable: Stew, Andy and Sting sound even better 25 years later. Copeland's drumming hasn't lost a bit of its pulse pounding intensity, Summers adds shredding solos that were never heard on any Police studio recording, and Sting's voice still sounds fresh. This set of classics captures one of their tightest performances on the reunion tour.

Nirvana - Unplugged in New York: An album as haunting as it is beautiful, this acoustic set proves that the band was capable of delving deeper than their grunge roots. Every song works perfectly as an acoustic arrangement, and some even surpass the originals; "About a Girl" and The Meat Puppets "Oh, Me" serve as prime examples. Simply put, one of the greatest live albums of all time.

Jeff Buckley - Mystery White Boy: I never thought Buckley's singing could sound better than it does on Grace, but this collection of live performances perfectly displays both the beauty and power behind one of rock's greatest voices.

The Who - Live at Leeds: A barrage of violent, heavy, and raw rock and roll. Four men with polar personalities teetering on the edge of chaos on stage but holding it together to deliver what is considered to be the greatest live record of all time, and rightfully so.

Bob Dylan - The Royal Albert Hall Concert: This show captures Dylan at the peak of his career with some of his most popular material from the mid sixties. Also, the electric set serves as a document of rock history.

Neil Diamond - Hot August Night: A master performer, this setlist loaded with hits perfectly displays why he is considered to be one of the greatest showmen of all time.

The Allman Brothers Band - At Fillmore East: Phenomenal musicianship and several twenty minute jams capture the band at the height of their sound.

Kings X - Live and Live some More

Originally a radio broadcast during the Dogman tour in 1994, it is devasatingly good.

I can't think of any other band who can play and sing so well simultaeously.