What's you're favorite Rush album cover art?

rftag

This post was inspired by the discussion about the alternate cover for Permanent Waves, with printouts of the boys' brain waves.

In the era of the vinyl LP, the album cover was a great platform for visual artistic expression; something sadly lost as LPs gave way to cassettes and CDs and MP3 etc. The album cover art, the liner notes, all that stuff, was a big part of the overall experience of an album back then. A lost art in my opinion.

But I digress...

So, what do you think are the best Rush album covers?

I love the surreality of the PeW cover, and the MP and AFTK covers were also pretty cool in my opinion.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

My all time favorite album cover by rush is Vapor Trails

I agree with Grace Under Pressure right there with it.

• Like 3

My all time favorite album cover by rush is Vapor Trails

I agree with Grace Under Pressure right there with it.

GUP cover was awesome, yes.

• Like 1

This post was inspired by the discussion about the alternate cover for Permanent Waves, with printouts of the boys' brain waves.

In the era of the vinyl LP, the album cover was a great platform for visual artistic exp<b></b>ression; something sadly lost as LPs gave way to cassettes and CDs and MP3 etc. The album cover art, the liner notes, all that stuff, was a big part of the overall experience of an album back then. A lost art in my opinion.

But I digress...

So, what do you think are the best Rush album covers?

I love the surreality of the PeW cover, and the MP and AFTK covers were also pretty cool in my opinion.

Thoughts?

I couldn't agree more in regards to the album art, and the overall experience and vibe ... and I often wonder about the impact heavy music makes now, with so many people hearing/seeing bands on handheld crap, small devices and computers - there is no movement of the Earth or thump in the chest

When the intro riff to "What You're Doing" comes thru to you via four big ol' Bose 601 speakers, it's a feeling that no modern device can come close to ..

Returning to the question

My favorite cover is a toss up between A Farewell To Kings and Fly By Night ... ah, the memories of that owl painted on the backs of denim jackets :D

Edited by Lucas

The cover art of Rush has always (well, almost) been thoughtful and visually eye-pleasing. It's difficult to pick just one, so I'll name a few.

- A Farewell To Kings. I like that hollow, desolate landscape, the ruins and everything. Very thought-provoking image.

- Grace Under Pressure. Very "cool" overall, very 80's cover but a classy one.

- Permanent Waves. Reminds me somehow of old Hollywood films from the 50's. Don't ask me to explain, I can't.

- Hold Your Fire. Brilliant minimalism.

Have to add that I like the whole Clockwork Angels concept a lot, the steampunk thing and the booklet art.

Edited by Pete Bondurant
  • Like 1

Caress Of Steel and Grace Under Pressure. Maybe Vapor Trails. And Moving Pictures. Possibly A Farewell To Kings. I quite like 2112, and the debut is iconic.

Otherwise, not keen on their choices to be honest.

Fly By Night. That owl is bad ass.

^^^^The iconic one I mentioned earlier. The one and only... :)

I think the owl on Fly By Night looks ugly compared to the eagle on Kansas' Song For America. Never liked that cover until I saw the complete painting. The way its chopped to fit the cover does nothing for me.

permanent waves or counterparts for sheer class. clockwork angels the worst yuk. hemispheres and AFTK are totally awesome when you pull the gatefolds open obviously. when you open out VT and get what it is for the first time, is certainly powerful but overall a bit too cumbersome for me.

lookin forward to the next one actually wish they'd hurry up :) essential part of the rush package.