A Great Truth Must Be Told

JohnRogers

But if something went wrong with the pregnancy, you could very possibly have been born in the seventies...are you dead until you fall out the fleshy passage? No, you are alive from the moment of conception.

You're approaching SOCN territory here.

;)

He's approaching numpty territory.

Ima numpty...

If what I am saying is approaching SOCN territory I am sorry...maybe likening an album to pregnancy is a bit douchey lol

Yes. A more appropriate analogy would be comparing it to an executive order. If habeus corpus is suspended in December, but not enforced until January, for example...

:P

But the principle of dating and aging is the same so why not use the analogy?

Not in this case ffs

OK I'd rather back off than offend anybody on this heavy subject.

I've never been to SOCN so sorry, had no idea I was bordering on controversial matter, not from the angle I was getting at.

Sorry dude!

In the case of people we're talking about a particular event, the event of birth. No one sane would argue that a person isn't alive before birth, but the common convention is that age is determined by the birthday. Part of the reason for that is that we're not always sure of the date of conception.

In this case, we know when the album was recorded, finished, sent to the radio station, and played, and all of those events were during the 70s. The album was heard for the first time in the 70s; for any number of valid reasons, it's a 70s album.

• Like 1

In the case of people we're talking about a particular event, the event of birth. No one sane would argue that a person isn't alive before birth, but the common convention is that age is determined by the birthday. Part of the reason for that is that we're not always sure of the date of conception.

In this case, we know when the album was recorded, finished, sent to the radio station, and played, and all of those events were during the 70s. The album was heard for the first time in the 70s; for any number of valid reasons, it's a 70s album.

Which was my point. And I used the concept of a birth day as a point of discussion, not to discuss pregnancy lol but our idea of what defines a products age.

Which was my point. And I used the concept of a birth day as a point of discussion, not to discuss pregnancy lol but our idea of what defines a products age.

I don't think you said anything particularly controversial at all; you just stated the obvious.

• Like 1

I don't think you said anything particularly controversial at all; you just stated the obvious.

I stated the obvious because I thought the answer was obvious, and yet that's never good enough for some!

People keep thinking about when THEY heard the album, or when it was released, but honestly this music isn't ours, it belongs to Geddy, Alex and Neil. It's their creation, their blood sweat and tears..their baby so to speak..and it was conceived and created in the 70's.

If you use the child analogy then it is the 80s.

That's why that analogy is daft.

But it's the correct one to say it's the 70's. :D

Well no. If you were born in Jan 1980 you'd look stupid declaring you were born in the 70s.

But if something went wrong with the pregnancy, you could very possibly have been born in the seventies...are you dead until you fall out the fleshy passage? No, you are alive from the moment of conception.

Exactly. You don't just "become alive" when you're born, but when you're conceived.

Ignoring certain philosophical arguments, we consider people's birthdays from when they are born not conceived. It's a stupid analogy and you and Segue are being daft.

No, you're just being argumentative for something to do. Believe what you want to believe I just know I'm right. :)

• Like 3

People keep thinking about when THEY heard the album, or when it was released, but honestly this music isn't ours, it belongs to Geddy, Alex and Neil. It's their creation, their blood sweat and tears..their baby so to speak..and it was conceived and created in the 70's.

If you use the child analogy then it is the 80s.

That's why that analogy is daft.

But it's the correct one to say it's the 70's. :D

Well no. If you were born in Jan 1980 you'd look stupid declaring you were born in the 70s.

Exactly. You don't just "become alive" when you're born, but when you're conceived.

Ignoring certain philosophical arguments, we consider people's birthdays from when they are born not conceived. It's a stupid analogy and you and Segue are being daft.

You're right and this album was "born" on January 1st, 1980.

I was giving Mr Myles some jazz "life begins at conception" is close to "SOCN debates begin when someone mentions life begins at conception".

As for the Permanent Waves sound being an 80's sound it also sounds like the album that preceded it.

I was giving Mr Myles some jazz "life begins at conception" is close to "SOCN debates begin when someone mentions life begins at conception".

As for the Permanent Waves sound being an 80's sound it also sounds like the album that preceded it.

I am just trying my best not to start another round of petty squabbling. Its been turning into a weekly thing lol

Not in this case ffs

OK I'd rather back off than offend anybody on this heavy subject.

I've never been to SOCN so sorry, had no idea I was bordering on controversial matter, not from the angle I was getting at.

Sorry dude!

What the f**k are you talking about child?

I am just trying my best not to start another round of petty squabbling. Its been turning into a weekly thing lol

Petty squabbling?

You need to learn that whilst everyone is entitled to an opinion it doesn't mean you can be stupidly wrong and people just have to accept that it is your opinion and respect it.

Just because someone believes you are wrong and says so also doesn't mean that the debate is heated or a "squabble". Squabbling is for washerwomen and children.

I might be a total git but better that than a simpering wimp.

Petty squabbling?

You need to learn that whilst everyone is entitled to an opinion it doesn't mean you can be stupidly wrong and people just have to accept that it is your opinion and respect it.

Just because someone believes you are wrong and says so also doesn't mean that the debate is heated or a "squabble". Squabbling is for washerwomen and children.

Might be?

:)

Petty squabbling?

Might be?

:)

Aw shucks thanks love.

Ok, I am a total git.

But I speaketh true.

Does anybody REALLY care that much? PeW has elements similar to Hemispheres (a '70s album), and elements similar to what would become Moving Pictures (an '80s album). The songs were written, and the album arranged, recorded, constructed, etc. in 1979, but 99% of people didn't get to hear it until early 1980. You could make valid arguments on either side. Just be glad it's an amazing album you get to listen to anytime you want.

As far as how people refer to periods of time, I'm okay with decades being referred to as the years ranging from 0-9 (for the '80s, 1980-1989). It really all depends on how you word it. For example, the term "the 1900s" refers to the 100-year period beginning January 1, 1900 and ending at the end of December 31, 1999. The "twentieth century," meanwhile, runs from January 1, 1901 through December 31, 2000. The "New Millennium" began on January 1, 2001.

This is an important subject that is not nearly covered enough.

Really ? Come on, you guys talk about it all the freakin' time :LOL:

lol. I know. I remember when i read this topic for the first time. I was like......really? this an issue? a hot bottom debate? :laughing guy:

Mick

• Like 1

This is an important subject that is not nearly covered enough.

Really ? Come on, you guys talk about it all the freakin' time :LOL:

lol. I know. I remember when i read this topic for the first time. I was like......really? this an issue? a hot bottom debate? :laughing guy:

Mick

I thought the hot bottom debates were in NWW talking about who was the most in love with Geddy's bum... :huh:

• Like 1