The Synth Era: Essential Greatness

JohnRogers

OK...I'm in with a little group of "prog heads" on Facebook, and someone was talking about those 80's bands like Asia, GTR, and the 90125 version of Yes, and this stuff sort of fits into that if you really think about it. Rush's stuff was a little more accessible to someone that likes the "pop" rock sound, and I really think that Power Windows, and Hold You Fire fit into that category.

Those lush synth sounds, but they still had a more creative, progressive edge to it. Less "cookie cutter" than the rest of the stuff out there, but it still was easier to listen to than the older stuff. I knew people that really got into Asia and all that, but weren't digging the ELP or Yes stuff that was out before that... In fact, I know someone that LOVED 90125, and went out and bought some prior Yes, and was totally appalled by that stuff! (I think she bought Relayer since it was usually in the "cut out" bin!)

Ew.

:P

What, Relayer?

OK...I'm in with a little group of "prog heads" on Facebook, and someone was talking about those 80's bands like Asia, GTR, and the 90125 version of Yes, and this stuff sort of fits into that if you really think about it. Rush's stuff was a little more accessible to someone that likes the "pop" rock sound, and I really think that Power Windows, and Hold You Fire fit into that category.

Those lush synth sounds, but they still had a more creative, progressive edge to it. Less "cookie cutter" than the rest of the stuff out there, but it still was easier to listen to than the older stuff. I knew people that really got into Asia and all that, but weren't digging the ELP or Yes stuff that was out before that... In fact, I know someone that LOVED 90125, and went out and bought some prior Yes, and was totally appalled by that stuff! (I think she bought Relayer since it was usually in the "cut out" bin!)

Ew.

What, Relayer?

90125. Very poppy sounding.

I completely remember a gnashing of teeth over Signals...in part over synths...in part over reggae...in part over Lifesons haircut...

I also remember I was 15 or 16 and was listening to bands like the Police...like Missing Persons...like Yes...like 80s Crimson...so the whole new direction for Rush didn't make me upset in the slightest....I also got rid of my 70s feathered hair and got my ears cut out...slight mullet with some spikiness on top....wore skinny ties...the whole deal...I didn't mind Rush bering more "new wave" despite my peers losing it....ha...I said losing it.

Edited by JBsDWdrums
  • Like 2

I also remember I was 15 or 16 and was listening to bands like the Police...like Missing Persons...like Yes...like 80s Crimson...so the whole new direction for Rush didn't make me upset in the slightest....I also got rid of my 70s feathered hair and got my ears cut out...slight mullet with some spikiness on top....wore skinny ties...the whole deal...I didn't mind Rush bering more "new wave" despite my peers losing it....ha...I said losing it.

Parallel lives man...parallel lives.

Ew.

What, Relayer?

Oh yeah.... I was a HUGE fan of Topographic Oceans, and Close to the Edge when this came out... I didn't know WHAT to think! When I saw Asia in 1983 (because I wanted to see Carl Palmer more than anything else) I thought it was a little too poppy sounding...in 84 when I was hanging with a LOT of old Yes heads...we tried to decipher it, but just hoped that when we saw them live they'd play more OLD stuff...I didn't get that fix until 1989 when I saw Anderson Bruford Wakeman and Howe! (amazing show!)

I completely remember a gnashing of teeth over Signals...in part over synths...in part over reggae...in part over Lifesons haircut...

I was into the Missing Persons thing because of the Zappa affiliation! It was that same drool that you heard on the radio, but the notes were a little more meaningful! (although when the second album came out, it got a bit weird with the serious electronic drums and shit) 80's Crimson was a different animal..the radio stations STILL refused to play them, but the stuff was still different!

Ew.

What, Relayer?

Oh yeah.... I was a HUGE fan of Topographic Oceans, and Close to the Edge when this came out... I didn't know WHAT to think! When I saw Asia in 1983 (because I wanted to see Carl Palmer more than anything else) I thought it was a little too poppy sounding...in 84 when I was hanging with a LOT of old Yes heads...we tried to decipher it, but just hoped that when we saw them live they'd play more OLD stuff...I didn't get that fix until 1989 when I saw Anderson Bruford Wakeman and Howe! (amazing show!)

Yes became a different band for the worse at this point, IMO.

I wasn't quite into Yes as much as Rush...but remember 90125 creating an entirely new following for Yes.....this was around GUP...also Missing Persons Rhyme or Reason....Saw them live...Terry Bozzio blew my mind that night on that electronic kit...absolutely ferocious drumming...hair dyed reddish orange wearing a purple suit...it made a huge impression on my drumming

Disk98: You don't even like "Distant Early Warning?" To me, that song kicks ass. Awesome guitar...synth era or not. Same with "Kid Gloves."

I like both very much, I just don't think they're essential.

Ew.

What, Relayer?

Yeah...the only good thing that came out of it was that it got the core members back together, and they continued touring....I think Trevor Rabin "USED" the members of Yes to start his own career...None of his solo stuff was that good.... The Union Tour was cool to see live..

• Like 1

I wasn't quite into Yes as much as Rush...but remember 90125 creating an entirely new following for Yes.....this was around GUP...also Missing Persons Rhyme or Reason....Saw them live...Terry Bozzio blew my mind that night on that electronic kit...absolutely ferocious drumming...hair dyed reddish orange wearing a purple suit...it made a huge impression on my drumming

The Rhyme and Reason stuff turned me off to them...I LOVED the EP and first album...but the rest became too cookie cutter synth....the electronic kit was cool...but I always thought that the roto-tom kit was killer!

The Rhyme and Reason stuff turned me off to them...I LOVED the EP and first album...but the rest became too cookie cutter synth....the electronic kit was cool...but I always thought that the roto-tom kit was killer!

Yes it was....but even though R&R got more into funk and jazzier stuff...live Missing Persons still killed...because all of them save Chuck Wild ( who had an extensive studio resume as well) were Zappa alum...they ran circles around the other bands listed in their genre...they always got lumped in with bands who were significantly less talented and limited by comparison...

Ew.

What, Relayer?

Yeah...the only good thing that came out of it was that it got the core members back together, and they continued touring....I think Trevor Rabin "USED" the members of Yes to start his own career...None of his solo stuff was that good.... The Union Tour was cool to see live..

Quite the opposite, actually. 90125 started out as a Trevor Rabin solo project. He wrote the majority of the music. IIRC, Chris Squire was producing. He was getting other Yes alums to help out until, the label noticed that much of a Yes line up was present. "Hey, if you get Jon Anderson involved, it's a Yes album! We can market that! Make a Yes album! Make a Yes album!"

edited because like a dumbass I left out the record label the first time around.

Edited by Merely Space

Yes it was....but even though R&R got more into funk and jazzier stuff...live Missing Persons still killed...because all of them save Chuck Wild ( who had an extensive studio resume as well) were Zappa alum...they ran circles around the other bands listed in their genre...they always got lumped in with bands who were significantly less talented and limited by comparison...

Chuck Wild played keys on Thing Fish.

Synth Era:

Signals

GUP

PoW

HYF

One could even argue that it really began with Vital Signs. Also debatable is that Signals is not "synth" but pure transition album that is neither METAL nor Synth. To include anything after HYF in the synth era is nonsensical. Presto clearly was a clean break from what came before (even if it did suck).

Sometime in the mid 90s i made a bunch of cd comps for the car and I made an 80s Rush one rhat went like this...

TCE

Witch Hunt

Vital Signs

Analog Kid

Digital man

Chemistry

The Weapon

NWM

Countdown

Afterimage

Enemy Within

Red Lenses

Kid Gloves

BTW

That was my 80s Rush synth rock comp.

I skipped Subd and DEW because I made a live comp of Rio with those songs and i disnt want overlap!!:)

Edited by Digital Dad

Fine, all you little brats insist that Signals is the beginning of the Synth Era. Never mind my feelings, never mind all the time and work that went into this research. Fine, damn it.

This list was inspired by a friendly debate that Laughedatbytime and I where having while almost high-jacking a Clockwork Angels thread. Also the greatness of the Synth Era is a subject not covered enough in this forum. For my purposes the Synth begins with Grace Under Pressure Signals and ends with Test for Echo. You might say it ends with Counterparts or Roll the Bones but you’d be wrong.

Without further a due I present the Essential Songs of the Great Synth Era.

Signals

Subdivisions

The Analog Kid

Chemistry

Digital Man

The Weapon

New World Man

Losing It

Grace Under Pressure

Distant Early Warning

Red Sector A

Red Lenses

Between the Wheels

Power Windows

The Big Money

Grand Designs

Manhattan Project

Marathon

Territories

Emotion Detector

Mystic Rhythms

Hold Your Fire

Force Ten

Time Stand Still

Second Nature

Prime Mover

Lock and Key

Mission

Turn the Page

Presto

Show Don’t Tell

Chain Lightning

The Pass

Scars

Presto

Anagram (for Mongo)

Hand Over Fist

Available Light

Roll the Bones

Dreamline

Bravado

Where’s My Thing

The Big Wheel

Ghost of a Chance

Counterparts

Animate

Nobody’s Hero

Leave that Thing Alone

Test for Echo

Driven

Half the World

The Color of Right

Totem

Dog Years

Resist

Limbo

Carve Away the Stone

You may like this post showing your approval of the list but there is no need for ANYMORE comment or debate. In fact 73 can just lock this thread now.

For me it is Signals through Roll The Bones.

Counterparts they went back to Gibson's, Fenders, Marshall's and meaty sounds.

Essential tracks for me are:

Subdivisions

The Analog Kid

Chemistry

Digital Man

New World man

The Weapon

Losing It

Countdown

Distant Early Warning

Afterimage

Red Sector A

Body Electric

Between The Wheels

The Big Money

Grand Designs

Manhattan Project

Marathon

Middletown Dreams

Mystic Rhythms

Force 10

Time Stand Still

Open Secrets

Prime Mover

Lock And Key

Mission

Turn The Page

Show Don't Tell

The Pass

Presto

Red Tide

Available Light

Dreamline

Bravado

Roll The Bones

Wheres My Thing?

Ghost Of A Chance

There you have it.

Edited by Todem

I always felt that the "synth era" started when Ged's hands would leave the bass to play a synth part (while feet filled out the bass role on the Moog Pedals). In my eyes this would definitely be Signals for sure, though there are pics of sunths on his side of the stage as far back as Farewell To Kings.

As of last nights concert in Columbus, I think we are still in the synt hera...it is just now handled by sequencers....

I am also probably in the 1% who does not dislike any of the traditional "synth albums" - Signals to Roll TheBones in my book. Rush was doing exactly what made them near and dear to my heart...and that is saying F You to everyone and doing what they want

total PUNK ROCK!!!!

Hmm..not convinced about 'eras' in general, Rush have evolved and adapted with each album. However, if there is a 'synth era' it is Signals to HYF.

After MP Rush wanted to explore new directions, challenge themselves and definitely not repeat themselves. The idea of using keyboards as a lead instrument took hold resulting in Subdivisions, the quintessential Rush 'synth' track. They then fiddled with the formula over the next three albums (the best balance being achieved on PoW imo) but the idea of keyboards taking the lead (on some tracks of course, not all) largely ended with HYF. Presto onwards is Rush attempting a more guitar based sound - despite the thin guitar sound, common at the time.

I love the 'synth era' esp. PoW and full credit to the boys for unapologetically letting it rip during the CA tour...

• Like 1

I always felt that the "synth era" started when Ged's hands would leave the bass to play a synth part (while feet filled out the bass role on the Moog Pedals). In my eyes this would definitely be Signals for sure, though there are pics of sunths on his side of the stage as far back as Farewell To Kings.

As of last nights concert in Columbus, I think we are still in the synt hera...it is just now handled by sequencers....

I am also probably in the 1% who does not dislike any of the traditional "synth albums" - Signals to Roll TheBones in my book. Rush was doing exactly what made them near and dear to my heart...and that is saying F You to everyone and doing what they want

total PUNK ROCK!!!!

Agree.....as I said I never got bent out of shape with new directions...probably because unlike those wsho did (for example at Signals)... I never had a "fixed idea" of what Rush should be....they were listening to meathead guitar oriented stuff only....in fact Signals sounded very fresh and forward thinking at my first listen which was at a "Laser Rush" premiere show a couple weeks prior to its release at a science center....the entire experience was awesome....

This list was inspired by a friendly debate that Laughedatbytime and I where having while almost high-jacking a Clockwork Angels thread. Also the greatness of the Synth Era is a subject not covered enough in this forum. For my purposes the Synth begins with Grace Under Pressure and ends with Test for Echo. You might say it ends with Counterparts or Roll the Bones but you’d be wrong.

Without further a due I present the Essential Songs of the Great Synth Era.

Grace Under Pressure

Distant Early Warning

Red Sector A

Red Lenses

Between the Wheels

Power Windows

The Big Money

Grand Designs

Manhattan Project

Marathon

Territories

Emotion Detector

Mystic Rhythms

Hold Your Fire

Force Ten

Time Stand Still

Second Nature

Prime Mover

Lock and Key

Mission

Turn the Page

Presto

Show Don’t Tell

Chain Lightning

The Pass

Scars

Presto

Anagram (for Mongo)

Hand Over Fist

Available Light

Roll the Bones

Dreamline

Bravado

Where’s My Thing

The Big Wheel

Ghost of a Chance

Counterparts

Animate

Nobody’s Hero

Leave that Thing Alone

Test for Echo

Driven

Half the World

The Color of Right

Totem

Dog Years

Resist

Limbo

Carve Away the Stone

You may like this post showing your approval of the list but there is no need for comment or debate. In fact 73 can just lock this thread now.

Dude? No enemy within? Imo the best tune on gup followed by between the wheels.

I am glad someone else mentioned The Enemy Within, as I was about to. Honestly all of GUP could make this list. And Signals really should be included. Honesty, it's kind of a moot point if you ask me since Rush has been using synths since quite early on.

You nailed CP as the worst album and got the great songs from T4E, so I'll forgive you for having no idea what the synth era is.

I agree, but then again, he usually dose not have a clue what he talking about, on a consistent basis.

Tom Sawyer, YYZ, The Camera Eye, Witch Hunt and Vital Signs all have pretty prominent synthesizers. But MP isn't a synth album IMO. Signals sounds more like MP than GUP to me. I bought all three on their first day of release. GUP was the first one that I said, whoa, and it had to grow on me. But it did. PoW was the first one that I thought might end a great relationship. HYF did.
  • Like 1