Clockwork Angels

Na na na

So... you all have me thinking about Clockwork Angels and its status as an epic masterpiece. I strikes me that so many people I admire can't be wrong about this, so I've listened and searched for what you're all hearing. This is what I've come to...I think there is an epic masterpiece in there, although it's somewhat shorter than what RUSH eventually put out.

1. Clockwork Angels

2. BU2B

3. The Anarchist

4. Seven Cities of Gold

5. Carnies

6. BU2B2

7. The Garden

8. Caravan

Goose...my man...you left out HF,the heaviest song they've written.

SCOG got some love I see. Nice. It's maligned for no good reasons. Geddy shreds in all phases on it. They could have made it shorter, but no. I'll take it all.

BU2B2 has been a source of irritation for many because it's not a "song". I don't get that. It's a transition--what's wrong with that?

I had to make some choices...and leaving out Headlong Flight was one. I think Caravan captures a similar performance. Having both seems :beathorse: .

Some people just like simple, mindless drivel. I'd rather hear the pontificating.

Gee that answers so many floating questions.

Yeah, that I like smarter lyrics. :LOL:

What do you think of T4E?

What.is.up.....with all the Wish them Well bashing....?....sure its got a "singalong" feel...so what....this type of bashing reminds me of all the Dog Years complaining...Dog Years was great in its simplicity and refusal to take everything so seriously.

The Anarchist riff is classic classic Rush riffage....I almost laughed out loud the first time I heard it...because it sounded so Rush...immediately....7 COG...intro build into riff was also damn fun on the first listen for me.

Edited by JBsDWdrums
  • Like 4

What.is.up.....with all the Wish them Well bashing....?....sure its got a "singalong" feel...so what....this type of bashing reminds me of all the Dog Years complaining...Dog Years was great in its simplicity and refusal to take everything so seriously.

Um ... I like Dog Years. And for those very reasons.

The Anarchist riff is classic classic Rush riffage....I almost laughed out loud the first time I heard it...because it sounded so Rush...immediately....7 COG...intro build into riff was also damn fun on the first listen for me.

:yes:

• Like 3

So... you all have me thinking about Clockwork Angels and its status as an epic masterpiece. I strikes me that so many people I admire can't be wrong about this, so I've listened and searched for what you're all hearing. This is what I've come to...I think there is an epic masterpiece in there, although it's somewhat shorter than what RUSH eventually put out.

1. Clockwork Angels

2. BU2B

3. The Anarchist

4. Seven Cities of Gold

5. Carnies

6. BU2B2

7. The Garden

8. Caravan

Remove Carnies and plug in Headlong Flight and I can deal with it. 7COG not a favorite but I could live with it. You did leave off the two real stinkers at least... :cheers:

Carnies rocks! I have to agree to disagree here, I just love that song. I guess I fell in love with CA from the get go and I listen to it often (in the car and cranked up loud). I like the steampunk theme and yes the book is pretentious (too many forced quotes of lyrics from their other songs :facepalm: ). Yet it is a satisfying mix for me and I see the Garden as Neil's take on Candide. He's giving some thought to slowing down and savoring life etc. As with all of Rush's albums, there are so many good songs. I am so glad I got to see the CA tour, it was fantastic :finbar: :D

• Like 7

The book I don't care about so much. I love to read, but Clockwork Angels is not high on my list of things I want to read, so I never have. Maybe I will, at some point. But anyway...

Clockwork Angels, the album, I would list among the top five or so albums they've ever made. Maybe just outside the top five, but only just. It is wall-to-wall great. And yes, the production is noisy- I think that works well in some places on it, more than others. But even when I think it suffers, that does not take anything away from the quality of the songs, or of the musicianship. It is a late-career classic!

• Like 8

1. Clockwork Angels

2. BU2B

3. The Anarchist

4. Seven Cities of Gold

5. Carnies

6. BU2B2

7. The Garden

8. Caravan

Remove Carnies and plug in Headlong Flight and I can deal with it. 7COG not a favorite but I could live with it. You did leave off the two real stinkers at least... :cheers:

Carnies rocks! I have to agree to disagree here, I just love that song. I guess I fell in love with CA from the get go and I listen to it often (in the car and cranked up loud). I like the steampunk theme and yes the book is pretentious (too many forced quotes of lyrics from their other songs :facepalm: ). Yet it is a satisfying mix for me and I see the Garden as Neil's take on Candide. He's giving some thought to slowing down and savoring life etc. As with all of Rush's albums, there are so many good songs. I am so glad I got to see the CA tour, it was fantastic :finbar: :D

We can't always agree which makes the world go around I suppose. This album if I recall doesn't even crack my top ten. I think its better than anything from 91' to current but that is about it. I realize its a dead horse at this point but the production doesn't do it any favors. With a less is more production it might could slip past HYF or Presto but that is as far as I would go. Everything Power Windows back is better in my opinion including the Debut. Just my opinion and I seem to be in the minority again but so be it... :sigh: :D

For the record, my issue with CA is not solely down to the production. The album is repetitive, noisy and full of mediocre moments that don't do anything beyond remind me that they did the whole hard rock sound better in years past.

Sure, it is a great modern hard rock album, but in the grand scheme of things, it isn't saying much. This isn't a golden age for rock n roll, and CA might be one of the better examples, but thirty years ago this would have been a blip.

The production makes matters worse for me, but considering one of my favourite post-2000 albums is Springsteen's Magic, which sounds even worse, its safe to say my issue is based on the music itself.

This album lacks the effortless grace of the bands best work. In fact, more than any other Rush album, this one feels, song for song, like a collection of disparate ideas and riffs pieced together to make songs.

Some bright moments, and the CA fanboys will scream abuse for me not being right, and how they are so open minded and yet so closed off from accepting criticism, and will gang together and make out that somehow this album is better than the birth of a child or their own wedding day, but I will make it clear:

Best Rush album for a long time (not counting VT), but not deserving of the almost abusive hype it is getting around these parts. TM and others have a right to their own opinion, but this constant ramming of CA down our collective throats is damn off putting, and a real reason why quite a few of us are getting sick of this section of the forum.

And how anybody can claim CA is better than Hemispheres is beyond me. Even when I didn't quite recognise the full greatness of Hems, its clear it is a bigger milestone in the history of Rush, and a superior example of their epic craft at that.

1. Clockwork Angels

2. BU2B

3. The Anarchist

4. Seven Cities of Gold

5. Carnies

6. BU2B2

7. The Garden

8. Caravan

Carnies rocks!

:moose: :baabaa: :moose: :baabaa: :moose: :baabaa: :moose:

Long live sheep effect!

• Like 1

Started a new poll in Feedback! I thought it would be interesting to see how popular CA is in comparison to each album...

Could be an eye opener for us all!

(Including my moody self)

Halo Effect is an awful song, but I do wonder who Neil is writing about. The lyrics are interesting.

Halo Effect is the opposite of the Speed of Love: it realistically captures issues regarding love, it is beautiful aesthetically, it is intelligent lyrically, and it doesn't induce spontaneous vomiting and other side effects.

• Like 3

For the record, my issue with CA is not solely down to the production. The album is repetitive, noisy and full of mediocre moments that don't do anything beyond remind me that they did the whole hard rock sound better in years past.

Sure, it is a great modern hard rock album, but in the grand scheme of things, it isn't saying much. This isn't a golden age for rock n roll, and CA might be one of the better examples, but thirty years ago this would have been a blip.

The production makes matters worse for me, but considering one of my favourite post-2000 albums is Springsteen's Magic, which sounds even worse, its safe to say my issue is based on the music itself.

This album lacks the effortless grace of the bands best work. In fact, more than any other Rush album, this one feels, song for song, like a collection of disparate ideas and riffs pieced together to make songs.

Some bright moments, and the CA fanboys will scream abuse for me not being right, and how they are so open minded and yet so closed off from accepting criticism, and will gang together and make out that somehow this album is better than the birth of a child or their own wedding day, but I will make it clear:

Best Rush album for a long time (not counting VT), but not deserving of the almost abusive hype it is getting around these parts. TM and others have a right to their own opinion, but this constant ramming of CA down our collective throats is damn off putting, and a real reason why quite a few of us are getting sick of this section of the forum.

Not sure why you wrote this. Why is it off-putting or abusive if some members are expressing their enthusiasm for something?

• Like 7

And how anybody can claim CA is better than Hemispheres is beyond me. Even when I didn't quite recognise the full greatness of Hems, its clear it is a bigger milestone in the history of Rush, and a superior example of their epic craft at that.

Very eloquently put. Well done. :)

• Like 1

Halo Effect is an awful song, but I do wonder who Neil is writing about. The lyrics are interesting.

If you read the book it explains who he's talking about. It was Owen Hardys infatuation with a girl from the traveling circus.

The band would see the milestones as 2112, MP, and Clockwork Angels. Even Neil said that Rush didn't really start in his mind until MP. Hemispheres is a great prog record for music and musician nerds, but I wouldn't call it a milestone.

Bottom line:

CA is a solid album marred by a crappy mix.

Thanks Nick. Thanks alot.

Brilliant album hampered by crappy mix...

How about this: Masterpiece mixed in a manner that makes some picky fans, yearning for the long gone TB era, uncomfortable because they're afraid of new soundscapes from Rush

Or masterpiece mixed in a manner that it gives some synthy fans, yearning for the long gone synth dominated material, uncomfortable because they're afraid of guitar based Rush and would rather have them sound like neutered Mister Mister like sap.

So full of win :)

Not sure why you wrote this. Why is it off-putting or abusive if some members are expressing their enthusiasm for something?

I forgot to delete that

• Like 1

This is almost funny. It's the rush forum. I don't see how or why anyone should be surprised to find people here who love any or all of their albums. Some could say they are tired of hearing about lacuna coil or Bruce Springsteen but I think they're big enough to just not read posts about those bands.

• Like 3

If you read the book it explains who he's talking about. It was Owen Hardys infatuation with a girl from the traveling circus.

The lyrics are far more interesting if you just forget the book and think of it generally as someone who fell in love with what he wanted a woman to be, and not who she really was.

• Like 2

The lyrics are far more interesting if you just forget the book and think of it generally as someone who fell in love with what he wanted a woman to be, and not who she really was.

Only interesting in the sense of whether you want to relate directly to the lyrics themselves.

Has anone already talked about all the stuff hidden on that front cover?? I explain if no one did already. I really cant understand 2 things:

A- was all the stuff done on purpose? Or was just a mistake? And if they did on purpose id say it was waaaay too much effort

B- the people who found that out. Are u sick or what? Really, the ones that found that songs 9 to 12 are 21:12 what were u doing??

1. Clockwork Angels

2. BU2B

3. The Anarchist

4. Seven Cities of Gold

5. Carnies

6. BU2B2

7. The Garden

8. Caravan

Goose...my man...you left out HF,the heaviest song they've written.

SCOG got some love I see. Nice. It's maligned for no good reasons. Geddy shreds in all phases on it. They could have made it shorter, but no. I'll take it all.

BU2B2 has been a source of irritation for many because it's not a "song". I don't get that. It's a transition--what's wrong with that?

I had to make some choices...and leaving out Headlong Flight was one. I think Caravan captures a similar performance. Having both seems :beathorse: .

So...after further review, Caravan is out and Headlong Flight is in. Better jam and makes more sense.

This is almost funny. It's the rush forum. I don't see how or why anyone should be surprised to find people here who love any or all of their albums. Some could say they are tired of hearing about lacuna coil or Bruce Springsteen but I think they're big enough to just not read posts about those bands.

I am sorry I lack tact at the moment.

Not sorry about what I am trying to say, but I am sorry about how I said it. I've been provocative, but it wasn't my intention.