The Rush Show Post-Partum Blues

Principled Man

You mean....this is IT? I've never going to see them live again? EVER??

http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~ichthus/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/despair.jpg

Post your tales of gloom, despair and agony HERE..... :boohoo: :boohoo:

I felt a bit crest fallen after reading about/watching the show Tues. I last saw them May 22, 08 figuring that would be it...but it's a bit depressing thinking I probably won't get another opportunity.

Don't look at it that way. Be grateful that Rush exist, that you know them and that you have seen them in concert. You have forty years of music to keep you going and a massive amount of bootlegs to listen to (and vids to watch) if you put yourself on the list to get the bootlegs.

Nothing last forever.

"Wish them well." They've earned their retirement, don't you think?

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 9

We like to cling - people, things, places. It took me a long time to learn how to let go when the time came. Sometimes I didn't have a choice. But it was either that or lose my sanity, so I chose to let go.
  • Like 2

Don't look at it that way. Be grateful that Rush exist, that you know them and that you have seen them in concert. You have forty years of music to keep you going and a massive amount of bootlegs to listen to (and vids to watch) if you put yourself on the list to get the bootlegs.

Nothing last forever.

Agree with everything. We still gotta pass through the "post-partum sadness" phase of our evolution as Rush fans. For all of us, there will be a moment of intense grief over saying goodbye to Rush on the lighted stage. We gotta pass through it, survive it, and move on to the next phase....whatever that phase may be!!

Nothing last forever.

Agree with everything. We still gotta pass through the "post-partum sadness" phase of our evolution as Rush fans. For all of us, there will be a moment of intense grief over saying goodbye to Rush on the lighted stage. We gotta pass through it, survive it, and move on to the next phase....whatever that phase may be!!

I think it's worse when you go see them. I'd want to freeze the moment and never want it to end.

• Like 3

You can always join us in the live setlist reveal thread for tonight's show. There may even be a live feed or two we can watch if a fan is so inclined to give us one through a new smartphone app called Periscope. It won't be the same as being there and it's very possible the feed can go out but it's a way to still enjoy Rush live even though you may never see them in person again.
  • Like 1

June 29 will be their last show east of KC, and I am very scared of that date. They have earned retirement. But I will miss getting to see them rock.

I am lucky to have tix for two shows. My "devil shoulder" is saying...road trip Boston Philly AND DC. Go out with 5! But that will not change the inevitable on Aug 2. Hopefully I will be able to add on one of those shows but it will be a very sad late summer. Already, the distraction is enormous. There is nothing else I can compare to. Sports is fun, but players come and go. With Rush, its our "buddies" from childhood, Ged, Al n Neil!

• Like 1

Just be glad no band ever recalls their albums at retirement.

We'll always have the music.

Mick

Very true, and hopefully they will have some concert DVDs and some rare footage in the vault to release.

But....something great will be missing.

There are always the post hiatus albums to explore deeper ;)

Just be glad no band ever recalls their albums at retirement.

We'll always have the music.

Mick

Very true, and hopefully they will have some concert DVDs and some rare footage in the vault to release.

But....something great will be missing.

There are always the post hiatus albums to explore deeper ;)

According to a Rush book that I have, they do have some things in the deep freeze.

For those of you who are young, you will survive this. Hard as it might be to fathom right now, another band will come along and not necessarily take Rush's place, but be almost right up there alongside.

The rest of us oldsters will just cry until we kick the bucket. :LOL: :cool: ;) ;) ;)

• Like 1

I'm actually surprised that Rush has done as much as they have since Neil's family tragedies. I remember being convinced back then that they were finished as a band once all that went down. For them to come back from that difficult time re-energized for another 10+ years has been amazing. It's just the icing on the cake.
  • Like 3

I have been wondering every tour for years if this is the last time I will see them live. I think I may feel some sadness after the show has ended pondering the same thought with more attached to it this time. But for now the ultra excitement of knowing I will witness one more time is forefront of my thoughts. I am also very thankfull for the fact that I have experienced them live every chance I could and the legacy they will leave behind. They are in some respects truely immortal! I also truely believe there will be more Rush music to come and Maybe a very lucky few will still have a chance to witness them again. I will dream that I may be one of them

Part of the sadness comes from the fact that there isn't a great batch of bands remarkable enough to take their place. In all honesty, I can't name a band that could be considered the Rush of the 21st century. When Zeppelin, Purple and Sabbath started to be called dinossaurs we had Priest, Van Halen, Maiden etc. coming up. The 90's had Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Dream Theater etc. And now what?!?!
  • Like 1

Part of the sadness comes from the fact that there isn't a great batch of bands remarkable enough to take their place. In all honesty, I can't name a band that could be considered the Rush of the 21st century. When Zeppelin, Purple and Sabbath started to be called dinossaurs we had Priest, Van Halen, Maiden etc. coming up. The 90's had Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Dream Theater etc. And now what?!?!

Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber and One Direction... :dweez:

God I hate most of the 'popular' music from my generation

Edited by Geddymancer
  • Like 1

I don't share the love for your 90s bands but what you say is actually true (and then sad!).

I keep trying to find some new band to fall in love with but, even though I like some of them, seems to be a desperate task.

Can anyone please send Bon Scott back ???

I was a huge Phish fan for a couple of years and after they played their supposed last gig in 02 or whatever I was really bummed for a few days afterwards. I saw like the last 9 shows or something. When they came back a few years later I really could give a flying squirrel about them. Strangest thing. One just moves on I guess.

It is not any easier coming off the best Rush show I think I've ever seen just two days ago! My heart is breaking reading all your posts. My own "devil shoulder" has pretty much got me certain about my once crazy thought of continuing on after Vegas, hitting AZ, Irvine, and the Forum! My first show was at the Forum in 87', how could I live with missing this chance as the years go on? Yeah, it's that important to me, I've been doing this for years. The idea of not having my "immortals", our "friends" to travel with, to visit, to take part in the roadshow they give so many of us is not short of devastating to me and clearly so many of us. I get it's life, we move on, we all do it. Doesn't mean we like it.

Does anyone ever wonder if they feel bad? Maybe they are glad to be done with all after forty plus years.

I wonder and I think they probably have mixed feelings. After all, this has been their lives for pretty much forever. I would guess that they would miss the touring because of the thrill of going out in front of a live audience but otherwise, it's a lot of hard work. However they still can record. Geddy certainly doesn't intend on giving up completely or he wouldn't have bought all those basses. What they end up doing is known only to them, but I do think they'll still record something after this.