Motherf$%^^* Have to vent.

glennb2112

Um....does anyone see the irony in wanking about surprise spoilers and using the InterWeb at the same time?

If somebody was really wanting a complete concrete box about an upcoming show...do not look at any form of technology whatsoever in the weeks preceding the show. No TV. No cell phones. No internet. No nothing.

Otherwise, it's your own damned fault.

There's pretty regulated protocol around here for spoilers, but the truth is, you shouldn't be coming to a Rush fan forum if you really want total surprise at your show.

Agreed.

And the guy who commited the severe crime of showing a setlist...THE DUDE WAS OBVIOUSLY UBER EXCITED AND FINALLY HAD SOMEONE TO TALK TO ABOUT IT!

For goodness sake...two types of fans, one all nice and conversational, the other ready to pounce and punch...

Gotta say, I like the dude with the chitty chatty vibe more haha

The dude also found something in common, when he saw custom's Rush shirt.

This is what I call the 'we have in common something guy' .

It happens alot if you wear a sports team shirt to the store too.

THIS GUY- "Hey you like the INSERT TEAM HERE too?"

Uh yes, it's why I am wearing a shirt. These people immediately want to insert themselves into Your life.

All you want to do is grab some steaks and head home, but this clown wants to discuss a football game from 7 months ago.

I would rather see Foreigner live at this point...the fans are much easiergoing...the way Rush fans get so heated up and pedantic over setlists makes me think I would probably get stabbed for suggesting they play Chain Lightning after Xanadu haha!

At least at a Foreigner gig, no matter what I wish for, it will still be cheese!

Heated??? Ever been to a Motörhead gig?....

No. I like music.

They are Motörhead and they play Rock'n'Roll !

I find being stabbed in the ears with pencils, and pouring in hot vinegar and lemon juice into the wounds before adding salt a much less painful experience.

Rock n roll my bottom...not a fan and never will be :codger:

Your bottom rocks ????? LOL

• Like 1

Um....does anyone see the irony in wanking about surprise spoilers and using the InterWeb at the same time?

If somebody was really wanting a complete concrete box about an upcoming show...do not look at any form of technology whatsoever in the weeks preceding the show. No TV. No cell phones. No internet. No nothing.

There's pretty regulated protocol around here for spoilers, but the truth is, you shouldn't be coming to a Rush fan forum if you really want total surprise at your show.

Agreed.

And the guy who commited the severe crime of showing a setlist...THE DUDE WAS OBVIOUSLY UBER EXCITED AND FINALLY HAD SOMEONE TO TALK TO ABOUT IT!

For goodness sake...two types of fans, one all nice and conversational, the other ready to pounce and punch...

I agree. That's why I wore my Rush shirt to the store this morning (thank you, Narps! :hug2: ) hoping to run into another fan in Deadsville, USA so I could gush about Rush.

Alas! No one was found to gush with. :(

We can gush...over cupcakes and a glass of amaretto on ice.

CUPCAKES!!!!!

• Like 1

I would rather see Foreigner live at this point...the fans are much easiergoing...the way Rush fans get so heated up and pedantic over setlists makes me think I would probably get stabbed for suggesting they play Chain Lightning after Xanadu haha!

At least at a Foreigner gig, no matter what I wish for, it will still be cheese!

Heated??? Ever been to a Motörhead gig?....

No. I like music.

They are Motörhead and they play Rock'n'Roll !

I find being stabbed in the ears with pencils, and pouring in hot vinegar and lemon juice into the wounds before adding salt a much less painful experience.

Rock n roll my bottom...not a fan and never will be :codger:

Your bottom rocks ????? LOL

It is delightfully curved, better than any carved rock statue I'll have you know.

This is been my complaint all along when people say they don't want spoilers. They think that everyone else should contain their excitement and not post anything about the concerts just because they don't want to hear anything in advance. Stay off of the Internet then. I guess that concept is too foreign for people to understand.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 3

Agreed.

I agree. That's why I wore my Rush shirt to the store this morning (thank you, Narps! :hug2: ) hoping to run into another fan in Deadsville, USA so I could gush about Rush.

CUPCAKES!!!!!

This thread needs a new direction:

http://cdn-image.myrecipes.com/sites/default/files/styles/300x300/public/image/app/maple-bacon-cupcakes-xl.jpg?itok=Y4AypQoj

maple bacon cupcakes...for those who enjoy having their gigs ruined by really kind hearted fellow fans who share excitement in a way different to others...

Agreed.

CUPCAKES!!!!!

This thread needs a new direction:

http://cdn-image.myrecipes.com/sites/default/files/styles/300x300/public/image/app/maple-bacon-cupcakes-xl.jpg?itok=Y4AypQoj

maple bacon cupcakes...for those who enjoy having their gigs ruined by really kind hearted fellow fans who share excitement in a way different to others...

I had one of those once and I didn't particularly care for it.

This is been my complaint all along when people say they don't want spoilers. They think that everyone else should contain their excitement and not post anything about the concerts just because they don't want to hear anything in advance. Stay off of the Internet then. I guess that concept is too foreign for people to understand.

i agree, and I have to say that I really resent having to contain my enthusiasm to one little subsection while the minority opinion rules here.

Rush is on what might possibly their last tour dammit, and we have to walk on eggshells on a Rush forum and watch everything we say because a few people don't want to know the set list? And if our excitement should happen to carry us away for a thoughtless moment, we catch hell for it?

:boo hiss:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

Is it a big deal? Like...if you know the setlist the night is going to suck?

Erm...not really sure how a gig can be spoiled in this way to be honest with you.

yeah, I don't get it either. "this song sounds like shit because I knew they would be playing it." ?

seems like an older person vs young person thing. people our age don't give a shit, and I guess for everybody else not knowing the set makes you feel young again? I dunno.

Older person? Older person?! What the hell is that supposed to mean?!...

:LOL: .... :codger:

:o :boo hiss:

:codger:

Agreed.

Okay, but I will take a cup of coffee in place of the amaretto. Cupcakes and coffee go well. :)

You and me both.

• Like 2

Erm...not really sure how a gig can be spoiled in this way to be honest with you.

yeah, I don't get it either. "this song sounds like shit because I knew they would be playing it." ?

seems like an older person vs young person thing. people our age don't give a shit, and I guess for everybody else not knowing the set makes you feel young again? I dunno.

:o :boo hiss:

:codger:

http://www.kappit.com/img/pics/87740598dhegc_sm.jpg

FYI....Concert Photos are spoilers

I went to the Foreigner concert Friday and sat next to a Rush fan..who decided to try and show me the streaming setlist..WTF. I saw one song when he stuck his phone in my face. I was ready to punch his ass.

This is why I don't discuss anything with strangers at concerts.

You should never talk to strangers anyway. Didn't your Mommy ever tell you that?

Talking to strangers at Rush show is half the fun, have met some great people over the years--doing strangers at Rush shows now that's something else entirely.

I went to the Foreigner concert Friday and sat next to a Rush fan..who decided to try and show me the streaming setlist..WTF. I saw one song when he stuck his phone in my face. I was ready to punch his ass.

You should never talk to strangers anyway. Didn't your Mommy ever tell you that?

Talking to strangers at Rush show is half the fun, have met some great people over the years--doing strangers at Rush shows now that's something else entirely.

Pardon?

• Like 1

i agree, and I have to say that I really resent having to contain my enthusiasm to one little subsection while the minority opinion rules here.

Rush is on what might possibly their last tour dammit, and we have to walk on eggshells on a Rush forum and watch everything we say because a few people don't want to know the set list? And if our excitement should happen to carry us away for a thoughtless moment, we catch hell for it?

Exactly. I was having the same discussion over on Facebook last night. They have a special group just for spoilers. There are people getting pissed because they're seeing people post pics or discussions on their own pages. That's just nuts. Get off social media until after your show! But nope, they can't understand that simple thing.

• Like 3

I dont mind the smoky sweet bacony flavor in my sweets. I just dont want actual bacon sticking out of a cupcake. Now a waffle...different story. Gimme dat bacon!!!

DONE! Bacon goes with everything...love me a bit of fried salted pig carcass...

It makes little sense for someone who's dieharding about spoilers to even come to a fan forum.

Don't visit Rush internet sites if you want absolutes. :)

• Like 1

Pardon?

probably should have said after the show--would never ruin the show with that type of activity.

Pardon?

probably should have said after the show--would never ruin the show with that type of activity.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/8e/8e4dc8eb87da414b906d853ce68385f52f75728aa4413c35f269d903ad337080.jpg

• Like 1

I am still proudly unspoiled. I have stayed out of the spolier section, stayed off of any social media.

It's not that difficult.

And I always talk to Rush fans at shows....and I always ask if they know the set-list as a matter of courtesy. In Tampa it's my son and wife....so not too much talking to other fans as I have them to get giddy with. But in Vegas I will make for shit sure anyone I talk too, I will not spoil the set for them...unless they ask.

People. It's not that hard to avoid spoilers. Just stay off the net.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 2

Bathory has a real bee in his bonnet against old people.

I wonder how he is going to avoid aging?

it only seems that way because everyone here is old and I'm always getting into shit with people. :D I guess I'm just bitter in general?

on this particular "issue" it just seemed like most of the no-spoiler crowd is older. by older I mean old enough to have gone to concerts before most households had internet. I thought it might have something to do with trying to make the show feel like "the old days."

I think the fact that the rules of the forum (i.e. the separate section for R40 spoilers) are the way they are, is the reason those of us who want to remain in the dark, still come here in the weeks before our show...so we can continue to talk about RUSH without worrying about accidentally finding something out. If it was all-bets-are-off, of course we would stay away. Us being here prior to our show is a product of that set-up (the R40 section), not the other way around. I mean, jeez, you only have to click the mouse one extra time to get to the area where you can discuss that stuff.

As far as age, I'm 32, and it has nothing to do with reliving days of old...being surprised by songs at shows is just more fun than knowing ahead of time. I don't know what makes it better, whether it's the anticipation, or delayed gratification, or a combination of both. But to me it has very little, if anything, to do with aging. Rush is actually one of the few bands I see frequently on tour where the setlist remains largely the same throughout the tour (aside from the few swap-outs). I'm not huge on DMB, Pearl Jam, or Phish, but holy cow...those guys rarely, if ever, play the same show twice.

P.S. Foreigner is not Foreigner without Lou Gramm. I'd rather go see Lou Gramm Band for $10 at Jamesville Balloon Fest (which I did when he was here two years ago...would love for him to come back) and get the best of Foreigner and his solo stuff.

And who would want concerts to sound like the old days?

I hated going to concerts back then because I was always disappointed that the bands never sounded live like they did on the album. Today, they can do anything in concert.

The only thing I would want back is the old ticket prices (never going to happen ever again), and maybe the opportunity for purchasing tickets in another way other than on the internet - like going to a box office, or Ticketron.