Motherf$%^^* Have to vent.

glennb2112

FYI....Concert Photos are spoilers

I went to the Foreigner concert Friday and sat next to a Rush fan..who decided to try and show me the streaming setlist..WTF. I saw one song when he stuck his phone in my face. I was ready to punch his ass.

Maybe he didn't read the rules previously outlined here on TRF. :)

• Like 1

It is my belief that if one wishes to "avoid knowing," living alone in a cave might be the best way to do just that. If not, you get what you get. In the larger scheme, it is not a huge deal one way or another. There are more significant things in life...'ya know?
  • Like 3

And who would want concerts to sound like the old days?

I hated going to concerts back then because I was always disappointed that the bands never sounded live like they did on the album. Today, they can do anything in concert.

If you'd like to hear bands sound like they do on the album, you should just listen to the album!! Most who do sound the same aren't really playing live anyhow.

P.S. Foreigner is not Foreigner without Lou Gramm. I'd rather go see Lou Gramm Band for $10 at Jamesville Balloon Fest (which I did when he was here two years ago...would love for him to come back) and get the best of Foreigner and his solo stuff.

Foreigner released one of their best albums without the Grammeister, Can't Slow Down, so I strongly disagree with this assertion.

SEGUE MYLES....do a pointless poll and get to the bottom of how old the folks are who don't want to know the setlist or anything else about the concert.

DONE

SEGUE MYLES....do a pointless poll and get to the bottom of how old the folks are who don't want to know the setlist or anything else about the concert.

DONE

Come vote in Segue's poll so we can get a handle on the age bracket of those of you who want the concert to be a surprise: http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/93412-pointless-poll-9-you-who-say-no-spoilers-what-age-bracket-do-you-fall-into/#entry3550613

I think age does play a bit of a factor in who checks out setlists before the show. If you're older, you're used to going to shows without knowing the set because that's how it was years ago. There was no way to find out ahead of time what the band was playing unless you went to another show or you knew someone who did. A lot of older people just got use to that way and don't bother now even though the technology is so great that they can have any set they want with just a quick internet search.

I guess i'm caught between the old way and the new one. I turn 37 in August and I remember going to concerts in the early/mid 90s and not having a clue about the set. Yes, it was exciting to not know what was coming next but I got to admit disappointment came at the end of some shows when a band didn't play a song I was really hoping to hear. That's a big reason why I like seeing the spoilers now. I won't go to a show expecting to hear something that won't get played and I can avoid that disappointing feeling. Plus, like bathory said, it gives you a chance to refamiliarize yourself with certain songs if you don't know them as well. You can get hyped up to hear songs you know will be played. It's just so easy to get a bands set now, that it just doesn't make sense to me not to look at it. Last, and most important of all I wouldn't be able to discuss the tour with the fine members of this board from start to finish if I didn't know what the setlists were.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

Um....does anyone see the irony in wanking about surprise spoilers and using the InterWeb at the same time?

If somebody was really wanting a complete concrete box about an upcoming show...do not look at any form of technology whatsoever in the weeks preceding the show. No TV. No cell phones. No internet. No nothing.

Otherwise, it's your own damned fault.

There's pretty regulated protocol around here for spoilers, but the truth is, you shouldn't be coming to a Rush fan forum if you really want total surprise at your show.

Agreed.

And the guy who commited the severe crime of showing a setlist...THE DUDE WAS OBVIOUSLY UBER EXCITED AND FINALLY HAD SOMEONE TO TALK TO ABOUT IT!

For goodness sake...two types of fans, one all nice and conversational, the other ready to pounce and punch...

Gotta say, I like the dude with the chitty chatty vibe more haha

I agree. That's why I wore my Rush shirt to the store this morning (thank you, Narps! :hug2: ) hoping to run into another fan in Deadsville, USA so I could gush about Rush.

Alas! No one was found to gush with. :(

You would love it here in Buffalo, Lorraine. Rush has always been huge in this area. Being very close to Toronto no doubt has a lot to do with it but they're one of those bands that is just ingrained in the rock music culture here. I remember a few years ago, I was going grocery shopping and wearing a Rush shirt and some guy stopped me in the middle of the isle and we talked about Rush for a few minutes. Even when I wear a Rush shirt to a non Rush show, I always get some good comments on it. Last year, at a concert a guy bought me a drink just because I had a Rush shirt on. The regular rock/metal concertgoers here absolutely love them.

• Like 1

Add me to the list of those who want the setlist to be a complete surprise. I like the earlier post about relating it to sneaking in your parent's closet to find your Christmas presents. To me, it adds to the magic of the night wondering what they are going to play next and still having the hope that they will play The Fountain Of Lamneth or some other similar snowball chance in hell song.

I have always wished that Rush would have completely different setlists every night and therefore it would always be a surprise. But I know that with their perfectionist nature, it isn't practical for them to have been able to rehearse and prepare enough songs to be able to do that. I was pleased when they swapped in a few songs in and out last tour.

But, other than songs, I do want to know other spoilers. I did go to 'riab' and viewed a bunch of pictures for the show. Was very curious to see what the stage looked like and what instruments the boys were playing. There was a pre-show spoiler on riab that I clicked on which ended up going to the spoiler page showing the whole setlist. I quickly turned my eyes away but saw a couple of the tunes. No big deal. I do realize the risks of seeing the setlists and that if it were really a big deal, I would stay away from rush related internet sites.

• Like 1

Um....does anyone see the irony in wanking about surprise spoilers and using the InterWeb at the same time?

If somebody was really wanting a complete concrete box about an upcoming show...do not look at any form of technology whatsoever in the weeks preceding the show. No TV. No cell phones. No internet. No nothing.

Otherwise, it's your own damned fault.

There's pretty regulated protocol around here for spoilers, but the truth is, you shouldn't be coming to a Rush fan forum if you really want total surprise at your show.

Agreed.

And the guy who commited the severe crime of showing a setlist...THE DUDE WAS OBVIOUSLY UBER EXCITED AND FINALLY HAD SOMEONE TO TALK TO ABOUT IT!

For goodness sake...two types of fans, one all nice and conversational, the other ready to pounce and punch...

Gotta say, I like the dude with the chitty chatty vibe more haha

I agree. That's why I wore my Rush shirt to the store this morning (thank you, Narps! :hug2: ) hoping to run into another fan in Deadsville, USA so I could gush about Rush.

Alas! No one was found to gush with. :(

You would love it here in Buffalo, Lorraine. Rush has always been huge in this area. Being very close to Toronto no doubt has a lot to do with it but they're one of those bands that is just ingrained in the rock music culture here. I remember a few years ago, I was going grocery shopping and wearing a Rush shirt and some guy stopped me in the middle of the isle and we talked about Rush for a few minutes. Even when I wear a Rush shirt to a non Rush show, I always get some good comments on it. Last year, at a concert a guy bought me a drink just because I had a Rush shirt on. The regular rock/metal concertgoers here absolutely love them.

I am almost positive that when they saw my shirt with RUSH emblazoned on it, they thought "Rush Limbaugh" (or however he spells his name). Not because this is a conservative city, but because they probably thought it quite bold that anyone would walk around proclaiming their admiration for the man. :LOL:

During the CA tour, I asked one of the young girls who works in the Electronics Department if they had any Rush CDs and she said "Who?" :huh:

I think I need to avoid the internet for a few days. Another NON-spoiler page and unfortunately saw a couple of photos of the stage.

it useless...

I think that's the approach. This tour is big news and folks want to be apart of it all, not just enjoy those lightning fast ___hours...see, I can't even refer to a time as THAT would be a spoiler.

Its huge news, this last tour. Instead of one tiny thread for the spoiler crowd, there should be one tiny thread for the lights out no info crowd!

• Like 1

I think I need to avoid the internet for a few days. Another NON-spoiler page and unfortunately saw a couple of photos of the stage.

it useless...

I think that's the approach. This tour is big news and folks want to be apart of it all, not just enjoy those lightning fast ___hours...see, I can't even refer to a time as THAT would be a spoiler.

Its huge news, this last tour. Instead of one tiny thread for the spoiler crowd, there should be one tiny thread for the lights out no info crowd!

You are absolutely correct. But that's the way it is with most things. The majority suffer because of a few.

• Like 1

One thing I've noticed about getting older... I have ZERO interest in talking to people I don't know at concerts.

It does nothing to improve my concert experience to have some half drunk dipshit blowing beer breath all over me just to prove beyond any doubt I my have had about their douchebag level, or their 'Google Expert' opinions.

That said... COME ON MAY 30!!!

• Like 1

In the 70's we used to read mags like 'Rock Scene' to get the down-low on set lists... it used to be cool to be in the know.

This is the very first Rush concert that I am purposely avoiding spoilers... only because it's R40, and possibly the last chance to see the boys.

If I don't know the setlist, cuz I'm hoping for a long shot like FoL, am I thinking about the concert in front of me, or daydreaming about some fictional long shot future event?

Knowing the setlist in advance keeps the focus on the music and the band.

It's ironic, isn't it? The folks that seek out the list in advance and discuss it ad naseum (me!) probably think about it less during the show...since the cats out of the bag.

• Like 1

The pro-spoil crowd baffles me. It's like going into your parents' closet a month before the holidays and seeing what your presents are. Absolutely no fun in that.

Of course, we were children then.

If I don't know the setlist, cuz I'm hoping for a long shot like FoL, am I thinking about the concert in front of me, or daydreaming about some fictional long shot future event?

It's ironic, isn't it? The folks that seek out the list in advance and discuss it ad nauseum (me!) probably think about it less during the show...since the cats out of the bag.

Anti-spoilers are the people bitching at the end of the show about what they didn't play.
  • Like 2

FYI....Concert Photos are spoilers

I went to the Foreigner concert Friday and sat next to a Rush fan..who decided to try and show me the streaming setlist..WTF. I saw one song when he stuck his phone in my face. I was ready to punch his ass.

Wow Glenn have a cocktail its all good. I've seen the set list lots of times in the last few days and man Im old and have forgotten already!!!
  • Like 1

I like knowing, because it prevents huge swings of emotion and some inevitable disappointment.

When I don't know, I get my hopes up for certain things to appear, which inevitably do not. I also get more disappointed when something I'd rather not hear comes around, and that will happen once or twice as well.

Really, I actually enjoy it more when I know ahead of time.

• Like 2

Even in the old days, it was possible, if you were determined, to hunt down ways and means to figure a setlist if you really wanted to know.

Calling radio stations in other states comes to mind. I never did it, but I had friends who did.

Even in the old days, it was possible, if you were determined, to hunt down ways and means to figure a setlist if you really wanted to know.

Calling radio stations in other states comes to mind. I never did it, but I had friends who did.

Soviet spies used to bug the American arenas to snatch set list and then snail mail the list to the general public and drop them from crop dusters. They would do just about anything to piss off the capitalist rock music intelligencia.

• Like 1

It's ironic, isn't it? The folks that seek out the list in advance and discuss it ad nauseum (me!) probably think about it less during the show...since the cats out of the bag.

Anti-spoilers are the people bitching at the end of the show about what they didn't play.

Pro-spoilers are the people bitching before the show about what they won't play. :P

• Like 1

I wouldn't go to Rush.com - they're posting the setlist and photos from each show.

And definitely stay off Youtube - there's audio from Tulsa show (entire concert) - actually a decent recording - boys sound GREAT!

Pro-spoilers are the people bitching before the show about what they won't play. :P

_____ this tour. Can't even reply to that silly post...due to lame rules. There's tons of questions from the non spoiler crowd that can't even be answered due to their rules.

They are asking, "why are the folks from Europe saying ' they definitely won't be adding a Europe leg ' after reading reviews/ setlist."

Wish I could tell you why, but we got rules here. No spoilers.