Motherf$%^^* Have to vent.

glennb2112

I think its somewhat a big deal. Night wont suck but rather be pleasantly surprised. I've waited this long don't want some dick shoving his phone in my face when I'm seeing the show Thursday.

So you don't want to know in advance about the Rivendell/Tears/Tai Shan medley? ;-}

• Like 2

I could be a real asshole and post something that'll make the OP very upset, but I won't, because even though I have the reputation of an Internet douchenozzle, I'm classier than that.

Seriously, it's a f***ing setlist, it's not the most important thing in the world.

Edited by fraroc

Your first mistake was going to see Foreigner. Or the Mick Jones and whoever I can get to play all those old foreigner tunes show.

It is my belief that if one wishes to "avoid knowing," living alone in a cave might be the best way to do just that. If not, you get what you get. In the larger scheme, it is not a huge deal one way or another. There are more significant things in life...'ya know?

Yeah, there are more significant things in life. There are more significant things in life than having your car keyed too but that doesn't mean it's not an asshole thing to do.

I could be a real asshole and post something that'll make the OP very upset, but I won't, because even though I have the reputation of an Internet douchenozzle, I'm classier than that.

Seriously, it's a f***ing setlist, it's not the most important thing in the world.

Neither is the ability to have a cake made by a particular baker.

• Like 2

I think age does play a bit of a factor in who checks out setlists before the show.

This is not completely true. I didn't want to know. I went with my 18 year old son, and he didn't want to know either.

• Like 1

Nice one^^^^... :clap:
  • Like 1

And who would want concerts to sound like the old days?

I hated going to concerts back then because I was always disappointed that the bands never sounded live like they did on the album. Today, they can do anything in concert.

The only thing I would want back is the old ticket prices (never going to happen ever again), and maybe the opportunity for purchasing tickets in another way other than on the internet - like going to a box office, or Ticketron.

If the old days were during the "Exit Stage Left" era, they certainly did sound live like they did on the album. So much so that even today people are complaining about it.

Um....does anyone see the irony in wanking about surprise spoilers and using the InterWeb at the same time?

If somebody was really wanting a complete concrete box about an upcoming show...do not look at any form of technology whatsoever in the weeks preceding the show. No TV. No cell phones. No internet. No nothing.

Otherwise, it's your own damned fault.

There's pretty regulated protocol around here for spoilers, but the truth is, you shouldn't be coming to a Rush fan forum if you really want total surprise at your show.

This is been my complaint all along when people say they don't want spoilers. They think that everyone else should contain their excitement and not post anything about the concerts just because they don't want to hear anything in advance. Stay off of the Internet then. I guess that concept is too foreign for people to understand.

i agree, and I have to say that I really resent having to contain my enthusiasm to one little subsection while the minority opinion rules here.

Rush is on what might possibly their last tour dammit, and we have to walk on eggshells on a Rush forum and watch everything we say because a few people don't want to know the set list? And if our excitement should happen to carry us away for a thoughtless moment, we catch hell for it?

:boo hiss:

It makes little sense for someone who's dieharding about spoilers to even come to a fan forum.

Don't visit Rush internet sites if you want absolutes. :)

I found out about one of the songs they played in a thread in SOCN about whether dropping the bombs on Japan at the end of WW2 was necessary.

Thanks, bathory. :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

And who would want concerts to sound like the old days?

I hated going to concerts back then because I was always disappointed that the bands never sounded live like they did on the album. Today, they can do anything in concert.

The only thing I would want back is the old ticket prices (never going to happen ever again), and maybe the opportunity for purchasing tickets in another way other than on the internet - like going to a box office, or Ticketron.

If the old days were during the "Exit Stage Left" era, they certainly did sound live like they did on the album. So much so that even today people are complaining about it.

I wasn't referring to Rush. Rush always managed to sound the same in concert as they did on the album. Even in the seventies. And I don't know how they did it, but they did. In fact, they sounded better in concert than on their albums.

• Like 1

I swear to christ, I don't get the big deal about seeing a setlist. It's like seeing boobies before you see the real things. It's f***in awesome either way and even better when the boobies or Rush songs are real.

Most of us are over the age of 10.

The surprise is half (or more of the fun).

• Like 1

I swear to christ, I don't get the big deal about seeing a setlist. It's like seeing boobies before you see the real things. It's f***in awesome either way and even better when the boobies or Rush songs are real.

And that's great. But if you really want to stick to that, why visit an online fan forum at all? It's simply too risky. You're expecting thousands of online folks to ensure they mind spoilers when that's a huge expectation that's largely unrealistic. I myself have been guilty of inadvertently mentioning spoilers because I presume folks who browse these forums check out all the threads. Easiest way to really save your experience as fresh as possible is to not hit the fan sites.

And that's great. But if you really want to stick to that, why visit an online fan forum at all? It's simply too risky. You're expecting thousands of online folks to ensure they mind spoilers when that's a huge expectation that's largely unrealistic. I myself have been guilty of inadvertently mentioning spoilers because I presume folks who browse these forums check out all the threads. Easiest way to really save your experience as fresh as possible is to not hit the fan sites.

I found out in SOCN in a thread about whether the bombing of Hiroshima was justified. I avoided the Rush section and everything but SOCN and OLV since three days before the opener and even changed my skin so that new thread titles and titles in the Rush section couldn't be seen and found out anyway. For someone who takes those precautions it should be reasonable to expect not to see any spoilers.

• Like 2

I found out in SOCN in a thread about whether the bombing of Hiroshima was justified. I avoided the Rush section and everything but SOCN and OLV since three days before the opener and even changed my skin so that new thread titles and titles in the Rush section couldn't be seen and found out anyway. For someone who takes those precautions it should be reasonable to expect not to see any spoilers.

You did what you could, and even that wasn't enough...tough road to hoe bro!

are you deliberately trying to get on my bad side?

Then some ahole at the show said loudly about 20 minutes before showtime what the song was that was the second to last song before the encore, so I got the same spoiler twice. It was the first time for my son though..he didn't appreciate it much either.

Edited by laughedatbytime

are you deliberately trying to get on my bad side?

No, but it would be an added bonus. It wouldn't really be that much of an achievement, though, since I'm one of those "ignorant" people who doesn't really like the synth era all that time.

As you yourself are clearly a testament to, the only real way to reasonably avoid all spoilers is to not visit fan sites before your show.

Then some ahole at the show said loudly about 20 minutes before showtime that Xanadu was the second to last song before the encore, so I got the same spoiler twice. It was the first time for my son though..he didn't appreciate it much either.

See....right there, in this thread that is not in the R40 Spoiler Tour Forum, you casually spoiled the fact that __________ is in the set.

That's how easy it is.

Edited by Bard
  • Like 1

Then some ahole at the show said loudly about 20 minutes before showtime that a particular song was the second to last song before the encore, so I got the same spoiler twice. It was the first time for my son though..he didn't appreciate it much either.

See....right there, in this thread that is not in the R40 Spoiler Tour Forum, you casually spoiled the fact that a particular song is that is in the set.

That's how easy it is.

You're absolutely right, I forgot what subforum this was. I went back and edited any post I had that shared the information, and would ask the same of you (which obviously you're under no obligation to do).

Edited by laughedatbytime

Why can't people just avoid forums and social media if they don't want spoilers? It's not like the tour is six-months long or something.
  • Like 1

Why can't people just avoid forums and social media if they don't want spoilers? It's not like the tour is six-months long or something.

Why can't people that want to talk about the tour stay in a section which was created for them to talk about the tour? Why do they have to talk about the setlist in every single place on the site?

Then some ahole at the show said loudly about 20 minutes before showtime that Xanadu was the second to last song before the encore, so I got the same spoiler twice. It was the first time for my son though..he didn't appreciate it much either.

See....right there, in this thread that is not in the R40 Spoiler Tour Forum, you casually spoiled the fact that a particular song is that is in the set.

That's how easy it is.

You're absolutely right, I forgot what subforum this was. I went back and edited any post I had that shared the information, and would ask the same of you (which obviously you're under no obligation to do).

And I've absolutely edited posts after making the error and realizing it (in one or two instances, a moderator did it for me). But the damage was done already, in the sense that someone could've seen it before it was changed.

I appreciate your sentiment, man, I do. But it's virtually impossible, the online reality you're expecting. It's just too easy to drop something in passing in a communal online group where one assumes, everyone's visiting to talk about and discuss the current tour. Even outside the tour forum. My point was, the only way to truly avoid it outright is to not visit before your show. Otherwise, caveat emptor and all that. :)

• Like 1