Motherf$%^^* Have to vent.

glennb2112

Is it a big deal? Like...if you know the setlist the night is going to suck?

Erm...not really sure how a gig can be spoiled in this way to be honest with you.

yeah, I don't get it either. "this song sounds like shit because I knew they would be playing it." ?

seems like an older person vs young person thing. people our age don't give a shit, and I guess for everybody else not knowing the set makes you feel young again? I dunno.

Older person? Older person?! What the hell is that supposed to mean?!...

:LOL: .... :codger:

Oh I am loving getting older.

Now being an irritable guy you can blame on age.

I can't wait to get a cane so I can whack kids in the knees.

"Get off my porch you heathens!" :codger:

Erm...not really sure how a gig can be spoiled in this way to be honest with you.

yeah, I don't get it either. "this song sounds like shit because I knew they would be playing it." ?

seems like an older person vs young person thing. people our age don't give a shit, and I guess for everybody else not knowing the set makes you feel young again? I dunno.

Bathory has a real bee in his bonnet against old people.

I wonder how he is going to avoid aging?

• Like 3

FYI....Concert Photos are spoilers

I went to the Foreigner concert Friday and sat next to a Rush fan..who decided to try and show me the streaming setlist..WTF. I saw one song when he stuck his phone in my face. I was ready to punch his ass.

This is why I don't discuss anything with strangers at concerts.

You should never talk to strangers anyway. Didn't your Mommy ever tell you that?

Exactly- This I talk to everyone world we live in is horrible.

Do parents still tell kids not to talk to strangers or do they just text them?

That explains all the trouble you've gotten into then.

The pro-spoil crowd baffles me. It's like going into your parents' closet a month before the holidays and seeing what your presents are. Absolutely no fun in that. And no, it doesn't "ruin" the show, but it does lessen the excitement quite a bit. And sorry to be frank, but if you completely avoid live shows of bands you supposedly really like, just because you don't 'approve' of a particular tour's setlist, then honestly, you're a pretty lousy fan of that band. I saw Kittie (the all-girl metal band, who, like Rush, are also from Ontario) here in Syracuse in 2011. I looked at the setlist beforehand. While they played very little from their first two, more successful albums (which I was much more familiar with than their later work), I wasn't going to miss a chance to meet them and see them play in my hometown.

Edit to add: I'd looked up the Kittie setlist because knowing wasn't going to bother me (after five crappy opening bands, I was just glad to see them take the stage), and because a Kittie show is nowhere near the sacred* experience a RUSH show is. Most of the other bands I see on a regular basis change the setlist up from night to night (i.e., Metallica), so I can't know exactly what I'll be hearing.

I was not referring to my very favourite bands, but unless you have unlimited funds, which I don't, I cannot afford to go to every performance of a band I like or love just because I want to support them, if their is a chance I won't enjoy the gig, I stay away and find another way to support that band or another that I love instead.

• Like 2

I thought it was the opposite. That the younger fans didn't want to know.

It is annoying to be on a Rush forum and have to curtail my enthusiasm for the shows in a little corner because a handful of fans want to be surprised.

I agree with Segue. What the heck is the difference whether you know the set list or not?

I am with you on this one. Would I love to relive my youth and everything be a total surprise? Yes. Am I realist at this point and know especially being on here on a daily basis that this is not really possible? Yes. The information age has its advantages and disadvantages obviously. A great advantage is this forum and everything that goes with it and if that includes knowing the setlist and everything about the show before I go then so be it... :codger:
  • Like 2

I went to the Foreigner concert Friday and sat next to a Rush fan..who decided to try and show me the streaming setlist..WTF. I saw one song when he stuck his phone in my face. I was ready to punch his ass.

You should never talk to strangers anyway. Didn't your Mommy ever tell you that?

It's why as I've gotten older I keep to myself.

I don't how you say it, discuss music with strangers at Foreigner shows.... :drool:

• Like 1

To the guy who was showing you the setlist... First of all, if you're at a Foreigner show, you should be enjoying Foreigner and not texting, emailing, browsing. etc. You paid money to see a band so watch and listen !!!

He was with his wife..I went for a beer and somehow they struck up a conversation with my Girlfriend. I had my Rush shirt on. BTW Foreigner and Night Ranger put on a hell of a show.

• Like 1

I thought it was the opposite. That the younger fans didn't want to know.

It is annoying to be on a Rush forum and have to curtail my enthusiasm for the shows in a little corner because a handful of fans want to be surprised.

I agree with Segue. What the heck is the difference whether you know the set list or not?

I am with you on this one. Would I love to relive my youth and everything be a total surprise? Yes. Am I realist at this point and know especially being on here on a daily basis that this is not really possible? Yes. The information age has its advantages and disadvantages obviously. A great advantage is this forum and everything that goes with it and if that includes knowing the setlist and everything about the show before I go then so be it... :codger:

We had no choice back then. Unless a band was doing a week of shows at MSG and you happened to run into someone who had been to one, you found out the set list when you went.

But now that there is a choice - to know or not to know - and since concert tickets have far surpassed the twenty dollars a ticket stage, I'm glad to know the songs they will be doing. :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

• Like 2

It's why as I've gotten older I keep to myself.

I don't how you say it, discuss music with strangers at Foreigner shows.... :drool:

:LOL: :lol: :LOL: Discuss music with strangers at a Foreigner show. That's funny. :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

• Like 2

Bathory has a real bee in his bonnet against old people.

I wonder how he is going to avoid aging?

Love the "bee in his bonnet" phrase. Thanks Lorraine for the blast from the past. It always makes me smile when you work one of those in here and there. I like bathory personally but that bee is definitely there buzzing around... :LOL:
  • Like 2

To the guy who was showing you the setlist... First of all, if you're at a Foreigner show, you should be enjoying Foreigner and not texting, emailing, browsing. etc. You paid money to see a band so watch and listen !!!

He was with his wife..I went for a beer and somehow they struck up a conversation with my Girlfriend. I had my Rush shirt on. BTW Foreigner and Night Ranger put on a hell of a show.

You asked for it then. I have no sympathy for you. ;)

By the way, I bet that was a good show. Night Ranger used to be good. And so was Foreigner. :)

• Like 1

SO this guy- at the show who custom met is ALSO -THIS GUY- The guy on the plane who wants to talk. The guy at the mechanic who wants to tell me what's wrong with his car even though, I also am getting my oil changed. - When you see/ hear this guy, there is only 1 thing to do- Run for zee hills. He usually never shuts up.

Edited by Disembodied Spirit
  • Like 1

Um....does anyone see the irony in wanking about surprise spoilers and using the InterWeb at the same time?

If somebody was really wanting a complete concrete box about an upcoming show...do not look at any form of technology whatsoever in the weeks preceding the show. No TV. No cell phones. No internet. No nothing.

Otherwise, it's your own damned fault.

There's pretty regulated protocol around here for spoilers, but the truth is, you shouldn't be coming to a Rush fan forum if you really want total surprise at your show.

• Like 2

I would rather see Foreigner live at this point...the fans are much easiergoing...the way Rush fans get so heated up and pedantic over setlists makes me think I would probably get stabbed for suggesting they play Chain Lightning after Xanadu haha!

At least at a Foreigner gig, no matter what I wish for, it will still be cheese!

Um....does anyone see the irony in wanking about surprise spoilers and using the InterWeb at the same time?

If somebody was really wanting a complete concrete box about an upcoming show...do not look at any form of technology whatsoever in the weeks preceding the show. No TV. No cell phones. No internet. No nothing.

There's pretty regulated protocol around here for spoilers, but the truth is, you shouldn't be coming to a Rush fan forum if you really want total surprise at your show.

Agreed.

And the guy who commited the severe crime of showing a setlist...THE DUDE WAS OBVIOUSLY UBER EXCITED AND FINALLY HAD SOMEONE TO TALK TO ABOUT IT!

For goodness sake...two types of fans, one all nice and conversational, the other ready to pounce and punch...

Gotta say, I like the dude with the chitty chatty vibe more haha

• Like 4

Agreed.

And the guy who commited the severe crime of showing a setlist...THE DUDE WAS OBVIOUSLY UBER EXCITED AND FINALLY HAD SOMEONE TO TALK TO ABOUT IT!

For goodness sake...two types of fans, one all nice and conversational, the other ready to pounce and punch...

I agree. That's why I wore my Rush shirt to the store this morning (thank you, Narps! :hug2: ) hoping to run into another fan in Deadsville, USA so I could gush about Rush.

Alas! No one was found to gush with. :(

• Like 1

I would rather see Foreigner live at this point...the fans are much easiergoing...the way Rush fans get so heated up and pedantic over setlists makes me think I would probably get stabbed for suggesting they play Chain Lightning after Xanadu haha!

At least at a Foreigner gig, no matter what I wish for, it will still be cheese!

Heated??? Ever been to a Motörhead gig?....

• Like 1

No. I like music.

• Like 1

Agreed.

I agree. That's why I wore my Rush shirt to the store this morning (thank you, Narps! :hug2: ) hoping to run into another fan in Deadsville, USA so I could gush about Rush.

We can gush...over cupcakes and a glass of amaretto on ice.

• Like 1

Agreed.

Okay, but I will take a cup of coffee in place of the amaretto. Cupcakes and coffee go well. :)

• Like 2

No. I like music.

They are Motörhead and they play Rock'n'Roll !

• Like 1

Agreed.

Okay, but I will take a cup of coffee in place of the amaretto. Cupcakes and coffee go well. :)

But amarreto goes great with coffee...

• Like 1

No. I like music.

They are Motörhead and they play Rock'n'Roll !

I find being stabbed in the ears with pencils, and pouring in hot vinegar and lemon juice into the wounds before adding salt a much less painful experience.

Rock n roll my bottom...not a fan and never will be :codger:

• Like 1

if I can say this without getting bitched at for spoiling something, I would shit myself if I went into this show not knowing the set. plus I can re-familiarize myself with any rarities before the gig, not that they are or aren't playing any rarities, I can't say.

I agree with this 100%. I spent a lot of years not knowing what the songs were going to be when I went to a show. I love being able to know ahead of time for the same reason as you do. It doesn't lessen my enjoyment of the show at all.

• Like 3