The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

Interesting how tastes vary. I think S&A is awful. I view it as Rush's only truly bad album.

Nah. That's Test For Echo.

Interesting how tastes vary. I think S&A is awful. I view it as Rush's only truly bad album.

It is interesting...a big part of what keeps a music forum going!

Can you expand on what you feel makes it awful?

It is interesting...a big part of what keeps a music forum going!

Can you expand on what you feel makes it awful?

I'd have to relisten to it to give a proper commentary because I've probably only heard the full album three times since it was released along with a few partial listens over the years. Who knows, maybe I'll like it a little more now? But I remember it as a plodding, undynamic, mid-tempo bore-fest with a whiny Geddy's pathetic vocal cracks peppering each uninspired wall of noise. I feel like S&A was Rush's attempt to come off as sadly earnest and I just never bought it. On the other hand, I think they did emotional turmoil really well on VT.

I can't comment on the lyrics because I don't know them that well. Who knows, maybe they're decent? I just can't get past the music to find out.

Things I kind of like about S&A (believe it or not):

The No one gets to their heaven without a fight sections in "Armor and Sword" are legit awesome!

"Hope" should have been a highlight because normally an Alex acoustic piece is like crack to me. But, while it's a pleasant enough listen, at its core it's really just a generic folk doodle any halfway accomplished guitarist could have written.

Oddly enough, "Workin' Them Angels", which I dislike when I hear it on the album, is pretty interesting to me coupled with this video. Mysteries never cease.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFeVzv6qUfw

• Like 1

I think Judas Priest are my favourite classic metal band. Just wow. Every time I come back to them the music becomes even better
  • Like 2

I think Judas Priest are my favourite classic metal band. Just wow. Every time I come back to them the music becomes even better

British Steel got a 9 huh?

interesting, lol

Mick

I didn't take to their eighties stuff as quickly as the seventies. It was quite jarring.

• Like 1

They're my favorite metal band, period. Great choice!

Here is my ranking of Modern Maiden:

5. Dance Of Death (8/10)

Some killer material here, the best songs for me match the material of Brave New World, and in Pashendale actually surpasses it. Killer title track, and the folk metal beauty that is Journeyman is exquisite. But Wildest Dreams and No more Lies are filler, and whilst they aren't bad songs, being at the front end of the tracklist gets the album off to a rockier start than it should have. I personally would have cut them entirely.

4. The Book Of Souls (9/10)

It makes me feel really bad putting it fourth, but it only got its first proper spin yesterday, and I am quite attached to the top three. But Iron Maiden step no foot wrong here. I did feel that some songs were longer than necessary, and I can't quite decide how I feel yet about Tears Of A Clown, but this album is killer, and flies by with the feel of a much shorter album. If Eternity Should Fail, the title track and Empire Of Clouds are sublime. Watch this space.

3. Brave New World (10/10)

Took me far too long to warm too, this album is perfect. From start to finish, it's just a masterpiece. Dream Of Mirrors, Blood Brothers, Out Of The Silent Planet and The Thin Line Between Love And Hate are AMAZING songs, whilst The Mercenary and Wicker Man fall very closely behind. Again, a long album, but unlike Dance Of Death (which I think has moments of superior songwriting), this album is all killer, no filler.

2. The Final Frontier (9/10)

Here me out. This album DOES dip ever slightly beneath the flawless high standard of Brave New World. I strongly believe Distant Satellites...The Final Frontier should be two separate tracks; Starblind is BEAUTIFUL musically but I feel the vocals let it down, and The Man Who Would Be King is masterful but also falls behind the very best this album has to offer. But, oh boy, the very best this album has to offer may just be my favourite songs of Modern Maiden outside A Matter Of Life And Death. Isle Of Avalon, El Dorado, the actual title track, The Talisman...every single other song listed...this album is PRECIOUS and aside from the three minor blips I highlight, I love it a lot more than Brave New World. Even imperfect, I can't deny my love for it. It reminds me strongly of No Prayer For The Dying, oddly enough another Maiden album I adore, but proggier. You can flip this album and Brave New World and I would still be happy with the ranking. But I still feel this is some of their greatest material, even when it dips.

1. A Matter Of Life And Death (10/10)

From start to finish, this album is astonishing. I love the lack of mastering. This is hands down my favourite sounding Maiden album. Song for song, this for me is Maiden's greatest masterpiece since their eighties heyday, and I may even have to rank it higher than the likes of Seventh Son or Piece Of Mind. In fact, with songs like The Longest Day, The Greater Good Of God, The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg and The Legacy...not to mention every other song WHICH ARE ALL HIGHLIGHTS, you have my absolute favourite modern Maiden album, and one of my top metal albums, period. Ultimately a top three Maiden album for me, alongside Seventh Son and Somewhere In Time. Stunning, moving, heavy, complex and just so bloody addictive.

So there we go. Rank these albums how you wish, I think this is Maiden's greatest unbroken run of albums.

• Like 2

Mine

5. The Final Frontier. (7/10)

this iis last and will always be. I love the entire "first side" but after it gets slap dash and old fast for me. add that Bruce sounds so disinterested and off through most of it.

4. Dance of Death (8/10)

This follows up Brave New World and it's REALLY worthy, IMO. it has actually a couple of alll time favs the title song and Pachendale. and several other really good ones (Rainmaker, Age of Innocence, New Frontier) problem is it's lows are kinda draggy and some hooks are awful. but when it's great it's memorable as hell.

3. A Matter Of Life And Death (9/10)

This is so fucckin' good. and was a way mature work when it dropped, Songs like these Colors Don't Run, Brighter Than A Thousand Suns, The Longest Day, Lord of Light re downright classics to these ears and have some of Bruce's best vocals. and the band fires off at top speed too. I just wish songs were trimmed and tightened up just Slightly cause they do overstay a tad.

2. Book of Souls (9/10)

this album reads and sounds like a Maiden best of. And comparing this too Frontier. It just Sounds more like a band alive to me. The first Disc is literally ALL bangers with The Red and the Black being a top 5 all time Maiden tune. but the entire first disc is flawless. the 2nd is different in most of it isn't as gut punching and immediately stunning (well for me...ask Segue.....he foamed at the mouth all throughout, lol) and i love Empire of the clouds more now than in 2015!! stunning late day Achievement.

1. Brave New World. (10/10)

This HAS to be one for me. Simply cause song for song it has no skippers. and after the dire blaze era. this was an awesome gift. and it's the most fun of the modern albums IMO. i mean just go down the tracklist and pick a tune. all are anthems and MUCH better constructed than any Blaze era song.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Taylor Swift's new album Lover is out on August 23 all you fanboys.

http://youtu.be/8KpKc3C9V3w

But you already knew that, didn't you?

Wow, apparently synthwave has made it to the mainstream!

Before that, the only thing I ever liked from Taylor Twain is this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snf-ffWqfj0

Yay! I love her!!

So replaying Fear Of The Dark today.

It's not as bad as I remembered.

Fear Of The Dark:

1. Be Quick Or Be Dead

A rollicking opening song, it's fast, it's heavy, it's catchy, it's really good. Fantastic solo. Carries on nicely from what they were doing on No Prayer, and Bruce sounds like he's having fun.

8/10

• Like 1

2. From Here To Eternity

Am I crazy, or do the verses sound like Holy Smokes? A decent song. It's short, snappy and catchy. It's also pretty forgettable, but I found myself enjoying the chorus, which doesn't really sound like trademark Maiden. I liked this one, but it's far from being a classic (but I could imagine some fans loving this song a great deal).

6/10

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

3. Afraid To Shoot Strangers

I like the gentle intro. This is a softer song for Maiden, and I like what they attempting here. It's atmospheric, Bruce sounds brooding and moody. It's also a tad dull, as it doesn't seem to be going anywhere, and it carries no real weight. But I like it, and will hold my hands up and say I have overlooked this song. The riffs are great, and whilst it's not one of my favourite Maiden songs, it's also one I am curious to hear live. I just wish the production was punchier, and the band were a little less sleepy sounding. It's a tad too long, but at the same time I love how it progresses, even if it never quite soars as high as I wish it did.

7/10

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

4. Fear Is The Key

I hate quite a bit about this song. I think it features some of the worst singing in Maiden's studio history, the section where Bruce sings the "lies" section is horrendous, but the entire song is woeful. There is a lot of thid and stomp to the arrangement, which I find has moments of trademark Maiden grandeur peaking through but honestly, this is one of my least favourite Maiden songs.

A better vocal performance, tighter songwriting, or even just omitting it entirely, would have improved it's standing with me. I do hate this song!

1/10

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

5. Childhood's End

I have to give a shout out to Nicko McBrain on this track, he is an incredible drummer to my ears! I actually really love this song, it's a really well written song, with an interesting arrangement, fantastic riffs, and a decent vocal. Again, not loving the vocals on this album, Bruce sounds worn out. But this is a good song. It sounds quite unusual to me, I just wish we had some of that eighties BIG production here. Also, as one of the shorter tracks, it doesn't outstay it's welcome.

Phenomenal solos too.

Not one of the all time great Maiden songs, but it's definitely a hidden gem.

7/10

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

3. Afraid To Shoot Strangers

I like the gentle intro. This is a softer song for Maiden, and I like what they attempting here. It's atmospheric, Bruce sounds brooding and moody. It's also a tad dull, as it doesn't seem to be going anywhere, and it carries no real weight. But I like it, and will hold my hands up and say I have overlooked this song. The riffs are great, and whilst it's not one of my favourite Maiden songs, it's also one I am curious to hear live. I just wish the production was punchier, and the band were a little less sleepy sounding. It's a tad too long, but at the same time I love how it progresses, even if it never quite soars as high as I wish it did.

7/10

Is there anything specific you want to know about the live version? I saw them play it in 2012. I thought it sounded a little better than on the album.

6. Wasting Love

A ballad. And one I've noticed on forums seems to be an album highlight for a lot of fans, but it's not really all that special.

I don't think Maiden should worry themselves writing songs like this. It's really not that good. The chorus is flat, the verses are boring, but I do (as it seems I almost always do) like the more acoustic playing underneath.

Definitely not one of Bruce's best vocal performances either.

I'd say it's also about two minutes too long.

A truly boring moment.

5/10

Edited by Segue Myles