The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

I really don't mind people disliking my all time favourite album.

That's a good attitude!

So far this is no more "nu-metal" than early Linkin Park, and I enjoy early Linkin Park.

Oh and having just reached the second track, I must say I immediately prefer the girl's voice to the guy's. She doesn't wait to make a good impression.

Andrea's voice is always what turns a lot of people off. Everyone loves Cristina. But there are a lot of people who say if it wasn't for that f***in guy I would really like this band. My brother is one of those people. He likes a lot of the same music I do but the male vocals he can't get past. They wouldn't have as unique of a sound if he wasn't there though.

Lacuna Coil has had far more ups than downs. But the couple of downs were really bad.

yea in my recent mini-run. they really did hit an awful slump. their own fault BTW. in the one interview i saw with Cristina she essentially put Shallow life's suckage on the fans.

...............THANKS????

lol.

Mick

Erm...I know the interview you meant, what she actually meant was...they didn't market the album well and she can see why the fans didn't get the humour of the photoshoots.

I actually posted on the LC page that the joke would have been funnier if their fashion shoots weren't so good looking. I mean...it's hard to laugh at Cristina when she looks like a major Hollywood hotty! So the band made sure from DA onwards, they put more effort in making sure their imagery and sound made total sense.

Because...I know what they were trying but the photoshoots were far too flattering

And some of SL sounds like a rocky Cher Europop album.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Lacuna Coil has had far more ups than downs. But the couple of downs were really bad.

yea in my recent mini-run. they really did hit an awful slump. their own fault BTW. in the one interview i saw with Cristina she essentially put Shallow life's suckage on the fans.

lol.

Mick

Erm...I know the interview you meant, what she actually meant was...they didn't market the album well and she can see why the fans didn't get the humour of the photoshoots.

I actually posted on the LC page that the joke would have been funnier if their fashion shoots weren't so good looking. I mean...it's hard to laugh at Cristina when she looks like a major Hollywood hotty! So the band made sure from DA onwards, they put more effort in making sure their imagery and sound made total sense.

Because...I know what they were trying but the photoshoots were far too flattering

i know what she meant, lol.

but it made me laugh how she was tap dancing around owning up, lol. which she was. it just came ACROSS as shifting the blame, lol

Mick

After listening to it a couple days ago, I think Broken Crown Halo may have taken over as my favorite LC album. It's just flawless and covers everything the band does well. Zombies might be my favorite chorus from them and Hostage To The Light I think is far and away Cristina's best vocal performance. Andrea's voice also is better than ever on it.
  • Like 2

I really don't mind people disliking my all time favourite album.

That's a good attitude!

So far this is no more "nu-metal" than early Linkin Park, and I enjoy early Linkin Park.

Oh and having just reached the second track, I must say I immediately prefer the girl's voice to the guy's. She doesn't wait to make a good impression.

Andrea's voice is always what turns a lot of people off. Everyone loves Cristina. But there are a lot of people who say if it wasn't for that f***in guy I would really like this band. My brother is one of those people. He likes a lot of the same music I do but the male vocals he can't get past. They wouldn't have as unique of a sound if he wasn't there though.

Exactly.

Oddly, the only time I've ever thought "eugh" about Andi is SL. I love his voice on Karmacode but on SL it sounds really off.

But SL for me is the only album the band has released that sounds like everything else coming out around the time. Reading Lacuna Coils biography that came out last year, they reveal that an awful lot of insecurity was invested in the production of that album. They trusted Don Gilmore a lot, and were unsure of plenty of things he suggested, but they were open to try. He had a much lighter hand in the making of DA.

Broken Crown Halo was a tough production, which is why Delirium was solely self-produced.

The book was really good reading. They were open about some of their issues in the studio. For example, the debut EP was not what the band intended, it was too smooth and melodic, they wanted something harder and heavier. They were I think always battling a little with the producers, and Delirium is likely the first LC album to sound 100% the way the band wanted it too.

lol.

Mick

i know what she meant, lol.

but it made me laugh how she was tap dancing around owning up, lol. which she was. it just came ACROSS as shifting the blame, lol

Mick

I think there is a deeper layer of hurt surrounding that album that may take another decade before they are open about discussing it. The tours around that album cycle were poor as well.

• Like 1

After listening to it a couple days ago, I think Broken Crown Halo may have taken over as my favorite LC album. It's just flawless and covers everything the band does well. Zombies might be my favorite chorus from them and Hostage To The Light I think is far and away Cristina's best vocal performance. Andrea's voice also is better than ever on it.

I can't fault BCH. It's the album I recommend both Mick and Blue J. It's got everything I love about LC and more. One Cold Day tops Falling/Falling Again for me.

• Like 2

To me......EVERYTHING that's great about LC is in BCH......it's like we took a couple detours to get there.

but what a reward. i adore BCH.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

I've been enjoying Karmacode just fine while browsing the inter webs for the past little while. Now on track 12, which to my delight is in Italian!

I've been enjoying Karmacode just fine while browsing the inter webs for the past little while. Now on track 12, which to my delight is in Italian!

Without Fear is a special song to me. One beautiful line in English. The Depeche Mode cover is my all time favourite cover.

They have another Italian song: Senzafine. One of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard

• Like 1

Without Fear is a special song to me. One beautiful line in English. The Depeche Mode cover is my all time favourite cover.

They have another Italian song: Senzafine. One of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard

Senzafine, without end? As one word? That's a rather beautiful title for a song.

• Like 1

This is certainly a good cover of Enjoy The Silence. Stays pretty true to the original's arrangement, but the band makes it their own by simple virtue of playing it how they play their other songs.

How Segue feels about Lacuna Coil is how I am with Rush. Somebody points out a flaw and I'm like what the hell are you talking about? I don't hear any of that lol.

Nope. I feel very frustrated with SL and DA, the reason I don't favour BCH over KC is probably down to Die And Rise, and the reason I don't rate Unleashed Memories at number one is I find the mixing of the vocals a bit...weird.

Edited by Segue Myles

Senzafine, without end? As one word? That's a rather beautiful title for a song.

The English translation of the lyrics is some of my favourite lyrics from the band.

• Like 1

Also something you critics of Karmacode and the nu metal influence fail to recognise is, the band incorporated those styles because they are massive fans of bands like Linkin Park, Disturbed, Korn...the blend of American hard rock with European gothic metal is a blend that to me left us with a unique album that sounds like nothing else out there.
  • Like 1

The English translation of the lyrics is some of my favourite lyrics from the band.

What album is that on? I'll keep an eye out for it next time I'm shopping for music.

What album is that on? I'll keep an eye out for it next time I'm shopping for music.

Unleashed Memories. It's a little harder to find. Search it on the YouTubes!

There is also an older version of Senzafine on the 2000 ep Half Life. It has a trance intro.

Oh and that's another thing...fans saying Lacuna Coil sold out with nu metal...before the band had even started making waves, they were covering British pop bands and incorporating club music in their gothic metal!

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Also something you critics of Karmacode and the nu metal influence fail to recognise is, the band incorporated those styles because they are massive fans of bands like Linkin Park, Disturbed, Korn...the blend of American hard rock with European gothic metal is a blend that to me left us with a unique album that sounds like nothing else out there.

I thought that sound was mainly because Cristina's boyfriend was the guitar player for Slipknot.

• Like 1

Never cared much for Disturbed, and Korn is kind of borderline quality to me, but I really enjoy Linkin Park and I totally hear the influence of Hybrid Theory and Meteora on Karmacode. This is the kind of nu metal influence I enjoy. Downtuned heaviness that's employed to add power and emotion to great hooks and melodies.

i get it.......doesn't mean it works for them. which my ears tell me it doesn't.

Mick

I thought that sound was mainly because Cristina's boyfriend was the guitar player for Slipknot.

No. They are massive fans of US rock and metal. If you search old interviews from way before Karmacode even started being recorded, Cristina raved about her favourite bands of the time, how she learned to sing better singing Destiny's Child songs (she's a massive fan of rnb and soul music), and Marco Citi Zelati (the bands principle songwriter) is a huge fan of bands like Coal Chamber and Fear Factory.

Unleashed Memories. It's a little harder to find. Search it on the YouTubes!

There is also an older version of Senzafine on the 2000 ep Half Life. It has a trance intro.

Oh and that's another thing...fans saying Lacuna Coil sold out with nu metal...before the band had even started making waves, they were covering British pop bands and incorporating club music in their gothic metal!

lol, thanks for the rec!

i get it.......doesn't mean it works for them. which my ears tell me it doesn't.

Mick

And yet the style of Karmacode is all over Broken Crown Halo...

• Like 1

Mick

And yet the style of Karmacode is all over Broken Crown Halo...

true but it's more obnoxius. it's andrea. i'll just say it....he's my least fav thing about LC. he blends better on BCH. he is all up in my face on KC

what can i say, lol

Mick