The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

Lmao seriously it's THE metal album experience of my life!

• Like 3

The title track, Night Crawler, A Touch Of Evil and One Shot At Glory are all top 20 Priest songs for me.

A Touch of Evil is superb......i love that song so much.

That whole record is a how to in reclaiming your metal mantle lol

Mick

• Like 2

The title track, Night Crawler, A Touch Of Evil and One Shot At Glory are all top 20 Priest songs for me.

Mick

A lot of praise needs to go to Scott Travis for how this album turned out. He replaced Priest drummer Dave Holland who left the band. Scott brought the double bass drum kick to the band. He was also ten years younger so he gave a new fresh energy to the band with his playing. Him joining them really revitalized their sound. Richie Faulkner has done the same since replacing KK. Angel Of Retribution is a great album but I'm not sure if they come out with albums as good as Redeemer and Firepower this late in their career if KK is still with them.

• Like 2

Mick

A lot of praise needs to go to Scott Travis for how this album turned out. He replaced Priest drummer Dave Holland who left the band. Scott brought the double bass drum kick to the band. He was also ten years younger so he gave a new fresh energy to the band with his playing. Him joining them really revitalized their sound. Richie Faulkner has done the same since replacing KK. Angel Of Retribution is a great album but I'm not sure if they come out with albums as good as Redeemer and Firepower this late in their career if KK is still with them.

i agree. Firepower blew me away. I loved Redeemer but I STILL was not expecting anything as great as Firepower. it stands with the classics for me.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Ok so played British Steel.

My least favourite track is Breaking The Law. And it's actually a fantastic song!

Marvellous!

I'm always a bit hesitant with a massive, iconic album. I do tend to try and avoid hyped releases as they can let me down.

I won't lie, it's not close to my favourite but boy was it good!

• Like 3

My least favourite track is Breaking The Law. And it's actually a fantastic song!

Marvellous!

I'm always a bit hesitant with a massive, iconic album. I do tend to try and avoid hyped releases as they can let me down.

Same.

the only song i don't really like......and it's not bad....is United.

i quite enjoy Breaking the Law.......bit of cheeky fun.

Mick

• Like 1

Marvellous!

Same.

Mick

Breaking The Law is fine, but it's so overplayed and I never liked it to begin with. I thought JP would sound like that song and nothing else. Actually, I didn't like Grinder at all either. It sounded like a heavy metal advert for the gay dating app Grindr.

All in all, an ok album but I would put it below Point Of Entry and Ram It Down.

Marvellous!

Same.

Mick

Breaking The Law is fine, but it's so overplayed and I never liked it to begin with. I thought JP would sound like that song and nothing else. Actually, I didn't like Grinder at all either. It sounded like a heavy metal advert for the gay dating app Grindr.

All in all, an ok album but I would put it below Point Of Entry and Ram It Down.

Really? Grinder’s one of my favorite cuts on there. Definitely above United, LAM, and Steeler for me.

• Like 1

Marvellous!

Same.

Mick

Really? Grinder’s one of my favorite cuts on there. Definitely above United, LAM, and Steeler for me.

It seriously sounds like a gay sex service advertisment to my ears...sorry/not sorry lol

Edited by Segue Myles

Also United sounds like an ABBA song...seriously that's a Euro cheese pop chorus if ever I heard one! I dig it but it's cheesy to the max. The sort of song I thought was Priests bread and butter

I get this album is a huge hit for many but...it's not really for me. But I'm pleasantly surprised!

Marvellous!

Same.

Mick

It seriously sounds like a gay sex service advertisment to my ears...sorry/not sorry lol

Fair enough. I dig the riff though.

Also United sounds like an ABBA song...seriously that's a Euro cheese pop chorus if ever I heard one! I dig it but it's cheesy to the max. The sort of song I thought was Priests bread and butter

I get this album is a huge hit for many but...it's not really for me. But I'm pleasantly surprised!

My understanding was Take On The World was an attempt to write their own We Will Rock You, and United was their second attempt when the first one didn’t become a smash hit. Could be wrong though.

I mean fair enough this is their big hit but...honestly I don't like it very much. Spinning British Steel again...for whatever reason this album isn't impressing me at all. It's cool to disagree though, Mick isn't keen on Defenders and I love Turbo.

My understanding was Take On The World was an attempt to write their own We Will Rock You, and United was their second attempt when the first one didn’t become a smash hit. Could be wrong though.

Honestly this entire album sounds like an attempt to be a hit. It worked for them, it isn't dreadful but...give me Stained Class or Killing Machine over this any day.

It's slipped to about a 5/10 for me. So glad I skipped over this one, I had a feeling I wouldn't be into it.

Also Breaking The Law is still a song I can't stand, but I don't think it's a bad song.

I will admit I love Living After Midnight a lot.

• Like 1

I mean fair enough this is their big hit but...honestly I don't like it very much. Spinning British Steel again...for whatever reason this album isn't impressing me at all. It's cool to disagree though, Mick isn't keen on Defenders and I love Turbo.

It didn’t impress me on my first few listens either. Then I started spinning it before football game days on campus to hype myself up (I’m in marching band so it’s an all day ordeal). That’s when it really started clicking with me.

• Like 1

Marvellous!

Same.

Mick

Well, after Halford publicly came out as being gay in the early 90s he said there had been clues for years that he was a gay man. Maybe Grinder was one of them lol

• Like 2

It didn’t impress me on my first few listens either. Then I started spinning it before football game days on campus to hype myself up (I’m in marching band so it’s an all day ordeal). That’s when it really started clicking with me.

Yeah this won't click with me. I like it about enough as I can. It's got that campiness I don't really like about Queen, and little to keep me completely entertained.

It's basically what I've been saying I don't like about JP for years. But the playing is incredible, and I will admit I could happily listen to an entire album of songs like The Rage. But...it's overall not for me. I prefer Point Of Entry to this. Possibly Ram It Down as well.

But it's good. I won't be skipping it when I marathon them.

• Like 1

Marvellous!

Same.

Mick

Well, after Halford publicly came out as being gay in the early 90s he said there had been clues for years that he was a gay man. Maybe Grinder was one of them lol

Haha definitely. Plus I'm being a hypocrite lol! I'm about as manly as a limp daisy. Plus the boyfriend I have...

But it's not for me. But I will happily try this era live! I feel like these songs are written for the stage.

The Rage is a stone cold classic as far as I am concerned.
  • Like 2

Definitely not an album without good points!
  • Like 1

Marvellous!

Same.

Mick

Island of Domination should have tipped people off long before they brought out the leather.

The Rage is a stone cold classic as far as I am concerned.

Yeah I was about to ask. If you like nothing else here, certainly you lies The Rage. Rob’s vocal is primal.

• Like 1

I will ay it again. It's got a mixed response from me. Nothing is all out bad, I feel as if maybe I've been spoiled so much I cannot quite handle anything less than MASTERPIECE from them.

Steeler is great as well.

Well it's another enjoyable Priest effort!