The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

On a totally unrelated note, I think Kerry Livgren could and should write for Broadway.

he is a fantastic songwriter. and your right. Kansas always had an air of theatricality. that was in no small part down to Kerry..

i can see that working wonderfully.

Mick

• Like 1

Metal is still in my blood. Might have found my album of the year:

Death Angel- Humanicide

Also, new Springsteen soon! Loved LOVED every song released so far!

New Taylor Swift

New Alter Bridge

New Lacuna Coil

New Nightwish (next year)

Mekong Delta rumoured to be recording...

New Opeth

f**k my life, I need more money

• Like 1

so so far i've listened to just 70's ELO.

My Favs out of the bunch

ELO 2

On The Third Day

Eldorado

Out of the Blue (about as perfect a double album as you can Find)

A new World Record

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

I’ve really never listened to ELO. I know a few of their hits, but that’s it. I might take a look at their catalog.
  • Like 1

I’ve really never listened to ELO. I know a few of their hits, but that’s it. I might take a look at their catalog.

i was the same as you......was never a fan of them.

but my neighbor was blasting them. and i was like...that's fairly decent, lol

i'd say if you enjoy the beatles with touches of prog sprinkled about. you may enjoy them.

Mick

• Like 1

I tried some ELO today and couldn't stand it. Give it a few months and I will probably be back in the mood for it! I tend to really heavily listen to them when I am in a Beatles marathon mood.

Bizarre I didn't enjoy them today, but meh. It happens!

• Like 2

I tried some ELO today and couldn't stand it. Give it a few months and I will probably be back in the mood for it! I tend to really heavily listen to them when I am in a Beatles marathon mood.

Bizarre I didn't enjoy them today, but meh. It happens!

i've done that with LOTS of Bands.

heck i'd probably hate priest and Maiden now. given my headspace is SOOOOO not metal at the moment, lol

Mick

My Favs out of the bunch

ELO 2

On The Third Day

Eldorado

A new World Record

Mick

ELO 2 and On The Third Day are that great? Dang, I’m gonna have to find copies of those now!

• Like 1

My Favs out of the bunch

ELO 2

On The Third Day

Eldorado

A new World Record

Mick

ELO 2 and On The Third Day are that great? Dang, I’m gonna have to find copies of those now!

ELO 2 is more full on prog rock. the album proper (cause some cd's have added bonus tracks) is 5 songs long.

On the Third Day has prog touches but starts to streamline things for the more hook-y pop/rock they developed even more later on.

both fantastic records though.

Mick

• Like 1

Do I even know anything from ELO? I know the name but couldn't tell you a song from theirs off the top of my head. I'm sure that they got a couple of songs radio has played to death and I just don't know it's them.

Do I even know anything from ELO? I know the name but couldn't tell you a song from theirs off the top of my head. I'm sure that they got a couple of songs radio has played to death and I just don't know it's them.

Mr. Blue Sky

Evil Woman

Don’t Bring Me Down

Sweet Talkin’ Woman

Do Ya

Telephone Line

a lot of hits

• Like 1

Mr. Blue Sky

Evil Woman

Don’t Bring Me Down

Sweet Talkin’ Woman

Do Ya

Telephone Line

a lot of hits

Ok, I will go look these songs up on YouTube then.

• Like 2

2019 might be the most fun year of music listening I have ever had. My obsessions have been as follows:

1. Judas Priest

2. Iced Earth

3. Iron Maiden

4. After Forever

5. Savatage

6. Dream Theater

7. Epica

8. Megadeth

9. Within Temptation

10. Taylor Swift

I've absolutely loved all this! Oh god...I'm probably enjoying metal more this year than I ever have before! This could be, and probably is, my top ten music artists of the year so far, and only two have released new albums!

Also the first time I have ever been majorly obsessed with a large number of metal bands, and none are particularly depressing. Woowoo!

Sorry about Taylor Swift. I know I probably let the side down there...

2019 might be the most fun year of music listening I have ever had. My obsessions have been as follows:

1. Judas Priest

2. Iced Earth

3. Iron Maiden

4. After Forever

5. Savatage

6. Dream Theater

7. Epica

8. Megadeth

9. Within Temptation

10. Taylor Swift

I've absolutely loved all this! Oh god...I'm probably enjoying metal more this year than I ever have before! This could be, and probably is, my top ten music artists of the year so far, and only two have released new albums!

Also the first time I have ever been majorly obsessed with a large number of metal bands, and none are particularly depressing. Woowoo!

Sorry about Taylor Swift. I know I probably let the side down there...

these are the bands/artists i've played most.

1. Maiden

2. Priest

3. ELO

4. Springsteen

5. Alan Parsons Project

6. Al Stewart

7. AC/DC

8. Alter Bridge (all day yesterday basically)

9. Steely Dan

10. Doobie Brothers

so for the most part. year of the throwback baby, lol

Mick

I just Want to give my AB Rankings now since they are.......out of nowhere.......my band of the moment.

1. Fortress (the only perfect album in the cannon, IMO. everything just gelled here. perfectly) (10/10)

2. Blackbird (this album man.....this album's amazing. the grower out of the bunch) (9/10)

3. AB III (This dropped. i love the first Half a lot more than the 2nd) (8/10)

4. One Day Remains (sounds more like Creed with Myles but it's a good record) (7/10)

5. The Last Hero (5/10)

Mick

i noticed AB drops in score each album in my rankings the lower my list goes. that doesn't always happen. so the new one shall have pressure on it. lol. if i love it. could be a 10. if not .....it may be negative 58, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Let me try:

Hard to actually rank for me:

1. ABIII (10/10)

I know it's very long, but this album got me into the band, and every single song is special to me. Not just "all killer, no filler", as I get why some songs aren't a hit for everyone. But genuinely, start to finish, every song means a lot to me. Especially Fallout, Wonderful Life, I Know It Hurts, Breathe Again and Slip To The Void. Production is not terrific, but I don't care.

2. Fortress (10/10)

I can't fault this album. It has stunning variety, and I love it all. But...some songs can be skipped, as I know for sure which songs I want to hear the most. But as a whole, start to finish, this is easily the bands best album. It's just not my favourite.

3. The Last Hero (9/10)

We discuss this often, but I have grown to love this album. Every song, it's almost as special to me as ABIII, with two faults holding it back: it's too long, with nearly every song working at full bombast. And the production is not amazing (honestly, the band had perfect production and mixing on Fortress, so why the step back here?).

4. B-Sides And Rarities (9/10)

Bonus disc to the live at the O2 Arena album, this is the reason to buy the three disc set. The band here has all the songs from their career not released on a full length, in chronological order (with a major point deducted for not including Watch Over You ft. Cristina Scabbia). In an alternate universe, this could be released as Alter Bridge's Greatest Hits. Zero, Home, Solace, Cruel Sun, Never Say Die (Outright) and Symphony Of Agony are AMAZING songs. Some of their best, in fact. For example, I think every Blackbird era song on this disc, especially New Way To Live, one of the bands greatest songs, is superior to many on the actual album).

5. One Day Remains (8/10)

I love this album wholeheartedly! Yes, I hear the Creed similarities, but with Myles voice, I hear plenty of The Mayfield Four as well (pisses me off how expensive those two albums are now!). Find The Real, Burn It Down, In Loving Memory, The End Is Here...bloody amazing album! But at the same time, every other album (including Blackbird) has greater highs.

6. Blackbird (7/10)

Ties That Bind, Come To Life, Blackbird, Watch Over You, Before Tomorrow Comes...these songs are indicative of BEST ALBUM EVER status. But...oh lordy...I can happily skip the rest (including minor hit and major fan favourite Rise Today). Don't get me wrong, there is nothing bad here. But I don't enjoy the unlisted songs all that much. As I said before, I think every b-side from this era would have better fit on this album over other tracks.

• Like 1

Let me try:

1. ABIII (10/10)

I know it's very long, but this album got me into the band, and every single song is special to me. Not just "all killer, no filler", as I get why some songs aren't a hit for everyone. But genuinely, start to finish, every song means a lot to me. Especially Fallout, Wonderful Life, I Know It Hurts, Breathe Again and Slip To The Void. Production is not terrific, but I don't care.

2. Fortress (10/10)

I can't fault this album. It has stunning variety, and I love it all. But...some songs can be skipped, as I know for sure which songs I want to hear the most. But as a whole, start to finish, this is easily the bands best album. It's just not my favourite.

3. The Last Hero (9/10)

We discuss this often, but I have grown to love this album. Every song, it's almost as special to me as ABIII, with two faults holding it back: it's too long, with nearly every song working at full bombast. And the production is not amazing (honestly, the band had perfect production and mixing on Fortress, so why the step back here?).

Bonus disc to the live at the O2 Arena album, this is the reason to buy the three disc set. The band here has all the songs from their career not released on a full length, in chronological order (with a major point deducted for not including Watch Over You ft. Cristina Scabbia). In an alternate universe, this could be released as Alter Bridge's Greatest Hits. Zero, Home, Solace, Cruel Sun, Never Say Die (Outright) and Symphony Of Agony are AMAZING songs. Some of their best, in fact. For example, I think every Blackbird era song on this disc, especially New Way To Live, one of the bands greatest songs, is superior to many on the actual album).

I love this album wholeheartedly! Yes, I hear the Creed similarities, but with Myles voice, I hear plenty of The Mayfield Four as well (pisses me off how expensive those two albums are now!). Find The Real, Burn It Down, In Loving Memory, The End Is Here...bloody amazing album! But at the same time, every other album (including Blackbird) has greater highs.

6. Blackbird (7/10)

Ties That Bind, Come To Life, Blackbird, Watch Over You, Before Tomorrow Comes...these songs are indicative of BEST ALBUM EVER status. But...oh lordy...I can happily skip the rest (including minor hit and major fan favourite Rise Today). Don't get me wrong, there is nothing bad here. But I don't enjoy the unlisted songs all that much. As I said before, I think every b-side from this era would have better fit on this album over other tracks.

i get the view on Blackbird as that was the view I had at the beginning.

but within the past few spins it's clicked. every aspect of it. heck i goes as far to say it MAY be their most Melodic and soaring album.

but again i get your view.

ABIII is awesome. and it's lyrical themes are almost like the album was written for me, lol. it's eerie dude. but it's also the most (apart from TLH) fatiguing album for me. just wish it was a few tracks shorter.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Let me try:

1. ABIII (10/10)

2. Fortress (10/10)

3. The Last Hero (9/10)

6. Blackbird (7/10)

but within the past few spins it's clicked. every aspect of it. heck i goes as far to say it MAY be their most Melodic and soaring album.

ABIII is awesome. and it's lyrical themes are almost like the album was written for me, lol. it's eerie dude. but it's also the most (apart from TLH) fatiguing album for me. just wish it was a few tracks shorter.

Mick

Played the B-Sides yet? Terrific album in its own right!

• Like 1

Let me try:

1. ABIII (10/10)

2. Fortress (10/10)

3. The Last Hero (9/10)

6. Blackbird (7/10)

Mick

the B-sides i prefer over TLH but a large Margin. that should have been the album proper.

or not, lol. but it's still better IMO.

Mick

Let me try:

1. ABIII (10/10)

2. Fortress (10/10)

3. The Last Hero (9/10)

6. Blackbird (7/10)

Mick

the B-sides i prefer over TLH but a large Margin. that should have been the album proper.

or not, lol. but it's still better IMO.

Mick

It's terrific. I already had every available song downloaded for several years by the time the disc came out, so it was mostly familiar to me. With th rest of the songs, all in one place, I prefer it song for song over the first two albums.

• Like 1

I think I can a say happily that Judas Priest are my favourite British metal band after Paradise Lost, with Iron Maiden in third.
  • Like 1