The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

I think I can a say happily that Judas Priest are my favourite British metal band after Paradise Lost, with Iron Maiden in third.

Priest IS my fav.

here's what i see. They are more patchy then maiden. but Priest i've always found the highs to be higher then Maiden. and i just find them more fun.

and the Firepower is just SO FUKKING GOOD for a later record.

Mick

I think I can a say happily that Judas Priest are my favourite British metal band after Paradise Lost, with Iron Maiden in third.

Priest IS my fav.

here's what i see. They are more patchy then maiden. but Priest i've always found the highs to be higher then Maiden. and i just find them more fun.

and Firepower is just SO FUKKING GOOD for a later record.

Mick

I really wish Strangeways were better known. Native Sons and Walk In The Fire are 80s melodic rock perfection. They've aged so well!

Both albums share the exact same magic as Fahrenheit, but I'd argue the songs are even better. Bloody forgot how much I love Strangeways!

I really wish Strangeways were better known. Native Sons and Walk In The Fire are 80s melodic rock perfection. They've aged so well!

Both albums share the exact same magic as Fahrenheit, but I'd argue the songs are even better. Bloody forgot how much I love Strangeways!

Who?

Who?

Scottish AOR band regarded by critics as one of the best AOR bands of the era, but they never found commercial success despite Native Sons being regarded as a masterpiece.

Never listened to Survivor much before...I absolutely love them! They may eclipse all other AOR bands for me!

I shall be collecting the Rock Candy reissues!

"f**k Rush!!!"

-Segue.....30 seconds ago.

Mick

NOOOOOO I TOOK IT BACK!

• Like 1

But today I am all about Survivor and Toto and Priest and that's bae
  • Like 1

i'm finally Waking up to Iced earth and Survivor.

Survivor is the kind of band i'm a slut for.

Mick

SAAAAAAME

• Like 1

I have to thank you guys for Iced Earth. another Metal Band i would have missed.

I will say I'm not much a fan of the first 2 albums. the first in particular. The vocals.......just to silly, lol

but virtually every album after has been a winner (slight dip on horror Show)

I'm digging the ripper era!!!!

Segue mad a great point. he said Ripper just happens to sound like Halford. probably true. but i just can't help but to think Halford in the mid 2000's made a secret detour to IE, lol. they sound THAT similar. If he's NOT doing a put on thing. it truly is uncanny.

the 2 ripper IE albums could be lost Priest albums.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Ripper really shines on Framing Armageddon. He proves he's more than a Halford tribute on it. He does some really good stuff vocally.

I'm guessing you'll love their current singer Stu Block. He has his own voice but can do a great mix of both Barlow and Ripper. Too bad Schaffer seems to be such a hardass to work with. The singer switches have probably hurt them in becoming more well known. But Stu has had three albums with them so far. Maybe Jon found the true successor to Barlow with him.

• Like 1

Ripper really shines on Framing Armageddon. He proves he's more than a Halford tribute on it. He does some really good stuff vocally.

I'm guessing you'll love their current singer Stu Block. He has his own voice but can do a great mix of both Barlow and Ripper. Too bad Schaffer seems to be such a hardass to work with. The singer switches have probably hurt them in becoming more well known. But Stu has had three albums with them so far. Maybe Jon found the true successor to Barlow with him.

I love this band and I must admit, Stu is awesome.

• Like 2

Yea. Framing armegeddon. Ripper sounds more his own man.

I look forward to stu. it's almost a shame the singer position is a revolving door. cause Ripper was Just coming into his own.

If i had to early rank what i've heard.

1. Something Wicked

2. The Glorious Burden

3. The Dark Saga

4. Burnt Offerings

5. Framing Armageddon

6. Horror Show

7. Night of the Stormrider

8. Iced Earth.

of course all early end more to hear.

but most of what it's played i have played a few times

Mick

• Like 1

I look forward to stu. it's almost a shame the singer position is a revolving door. cause Ripper was Just coming into his own.

1. Something Wicked

2. The Glorious Burden

3. The Dark Saga

4. Burnt Offerings

5. Framing Armageddon

6. Horror Show

8. Iced Earth.

Mick

Barlow is back for part two!

• Like 1

I will rank what I've been playing the last few weeks:

1. Burnt Offerings

=. Something Wicked This Way Comes

3. Night Of The Stormrider

4. Iced Earth

5. The Dark Saga

6. Horror Show

Will immerse myself in the rest soon!

• Like 1

1. Something Wicked

2. The Glorious Burden

3. The Dark Saga

4. Burnt Offerings

5. Framing Armageddon

6. Horror Show

8. Iced Earth.

Mick

Any idea why he stopped by for a one off.

it just seems odd. was he just a placeholder while they properly replaced Ripper?

Mick

1. Something Wicked

2. The Glorious Burden

3. The Dark Saga

4. Burnt Offerings

5. Framing Armageddon

6. Horror Show

8. Iced Earth.

Mick

it just seems odd. was he just a placeholder while they properly replaced Ripper?

Mick

Not a clue!

• Like 1

i just gonna say.....Barlow's my fav. he just has such a unique tone.

BUT.......i'm loving ripper WAAAAY more than i thought i would.

the music is more anthem based almost with him.

too real different flavors.

1. Something Wicked

2. The Glorious Burden

3. The Dark Saga

4. Burnt Offerings

5. Framing Armageddon

6. Horror Show

8. Iced Earth.

Mick

Mick

It wasn't supposed to be a one off. He was going to be their singer again going forward. Schaffer wanted the band to do much more touring but Barlow didn't want to stay away from his family for long stretches of time. So he left again.

Barlow has a band now called Ashes Of Ares. He's still involved in music but he just doesn't want to commit full time. He left Iced Earth the first time to become a police officer. I'm guessing he still does that with music on the side.

• Like 1

1. Something Wicked

2. The Glorious Burden

3. The Dark Saga

4. Burnt Offerings

5. Framing Armageddon

6. Horror Show

8. Iced Earth.

Mick

Mick

It wasn't supposed to be a one off. He was going to be their singer again going forward. Schaffer wanted the band to do much more touring but Barlow didn't want to stay away from his family for long stretches of time. So he left again.

Barlow has a band now called Ashes Of Ares. He's still involved in music but he just doesn't want to commit full time. He left Iced Earth the first time to become a police officer. I'm guessing he still does that with music on the side.

i don't know how i would have about it if i had been a fan then. bucause ripper's just blossoming and......Barlow's back, lol.......and then......gone.

Mick

If you can check out the Festivals Of The Wicked DVD. It has three shows from European festivals. One show from 2007 with Ripper and two from 2008 with Barlow. The Ripper show was really good but the two with Barlow smoke it.
  • Like 1

1. Something Wicked

2. The Glorious Burden

3. The Dark Saga

4. Burnt Offerings

5. Framing Armageddon

6. Horror Show

8. Iced Earth.

Mick

Mick

i don't know how i would have about it if i had been a fan then. bucause ripper's just blossoming and......Barlow's back, lol.......and then......gone.

Mick

Yeah, I had mixed feelings on it at first. But the excitement of Barlow being back kind of took over everything. Plus, everyone knew he would do the Ripper stuff just as good if not better.

• Like 1

If you can check out the Festivals Of The Wicked DVD. It has three shows from European festivals. One show from 2007 with Ripper and two from 2008 with Barlow. The Ripper show was really good but the two with Barlow smoke it.

i need to start buying more Concert DVD'S again. used to be a real hobby but i dropped off, lol.

But i'll for sure look.

It's amazing BTW. when Barlow comes back the band changes tone back so swiftly. cause to my ears they did write in a different style/tone for Ripper. just kind of cool they're able to switch back like that. (i'm playing the Crucible of Man now)

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1