The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

If i had to Rank 80's maiden after my run (i don't intend to continue cause just my opinion.....but nother after the 80's lived up)

1. Number of the Beast

2 . Piece of Mind

3. Somewhere in Time

4. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

5. Iron Maiden

6. Killers

7. Powerslave

Mick

Oof, that's a pretty low ranking for Powerslave.

i enjoyed it but i don't get why it's rated so highly.

it's kinda boring honestly.

Mick

To me, it’s just a heavy block of driving metal done Maiden style. It’s easy to enjoy and keeps me coming back.

Amen

Nothing boring to my ears at all!!!

Sigh..........FINE!!!! :laughing guy: :laughing guy: :laughing guy:

Mr. Iron Maiden expert poopy pants.

i kid i kid.......i don't dislike the album. just like it less.

Mick

Its ok i get ya.

Will say Maiden is magic BUT Priest have more diversity.

I don't think either band offers much in the way of musical diversity. What they do offer is individual signature sounds that they have mastered to perfection. Don't need diversity when they have that.

• Like 1

Going Through Priest now. stopped at stained Class. continueing today. i really prefer them to Maiden. i mean just looking at the albums.

Sad Wings

Sin After Sin

Stained Class

Killing Machine/Hell Bent for Leather

British Steel

Screaming For Vengeance

Defenders of the Faith

Painkiller

Angel of Retribution

Firepower

That is pretty great.

and i think they have (Aside from Nostradamus, Jugulator and Demolition (all are pretty bad) better later day stuff. I enjoy Maiden's 2000's on BUT the stuff is just TOO LONG, lol

Anyway just my thoughts and preference.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

Going Through Priest now. stopped at stained Class. continueing today. i really prefer them to Maiden. i mean just looking at the albums.

Sad Wings

Sin After Sin

Stained Class

British Steel

Screaming For Vengeance

Defenders of the Faith

Painkiller

Angel of Retribution

Firepower

That is pretty great.

and i think they have (Aside from Nostradamus, Jugulator and Demolition (all are pretty bad) better later day stuff. I enjoy Maiden's 2000's on BUT the stuff is just TOO LONG, lol

Mick

There is something really amazing to me about eighties Maiden that to me is phenomenal. And whatever that magic is, I hear also in Rush and Priest. Can't tell you what it is, but the three bands all share a certain feel that I am finding so empowering and joyous. I listen to all three and everything I love about metal is on display. And yes, for a lot of their early albums, I regard Rush as metal.

It makes me think that I have what it takes to be a massive Sabbath fan. I mean I love doom metal and gothic metal, and the two genres wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the Sabbath influence.

I do really like Deep Purple. But one band at a time!

All I know with Priest is I have played all their albums up to Killing Machine and each and every one was bloody amazing. Even the debut, which may actually rank as one of the best debuts I have heard.

As for Maiden, been a fan for years but right now I feel like I am hearing them for the first time.

• Like 1

Sad Wings

Sin After Sin

Stained Class

British Steel

Screaming For Vengeance

Defenders of the Faith

Painkiller

Angel of Retribution

Firepower

That is pretty great.

Mick

There is something really amazing to me about eighties Maiden that to me is phenomenal. And whatever that magic is, I hear also in Rush and Priest. Can't tell you what it is, but the three bands all share a certain feel that I am finding so empowering and joyous. I listen to all three and everything I love about metal is on display. And yes, for a lot of their early albums, I regard Rush as metal.

It makes me think that I have what it takes to be a massive Sabbath fan. I mean I love doom metal and gothic metal, and the two genres wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the Sabbath influence.

All I know with Priest is I have played all their albums up to Killing Machine and each and every one was bloody amazing. Even the debut, which may actually rank as one of the best debuts I have heard.

As for Maiden, been a fan for years but right now I feel like I am hearing them for the first time.

I LOVE me some maiden......usually the classic albums.

but I feel Priest has more great albums spread over their career......not a slight against Maiden at all!!!!

and Sabbath. i think their my next run. it's been YEARS for them.

but these bands are the very heart of Metal, IMO.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Sad Wings

Sin After Sin

Stained Class

British Steel

Screaming For Vengeance

Defenders of the Faith

Painkiller

Angel of Retribution

Firepower

That is pretty great.

Mick

but I feel Priest has more great albums spread over their career......not a slight against Maiden at all!!!!

Mick

Oh agreed. Led Zeppelin can't be overlooked either.

• Like 1

Sad Wings

Sin After Sin

Stained Class

British Steel

Screaming For Vengeance

Defenders of the Faith

Painkiller

Angel of Retribution

Firepower

That is pretty great.

Mick

Mick

Zep i sadly DO tend to overlook but everytime i play them.....they slap me across the face and go "silly bitch!!"

Mick

• Like 1

Sad Wings

Sin After Sin

Stained Class

British Steel

Screaming For Vengeance

Defenders of the Faith

Painkiller

Angel of Retribution

Firepower

That is pretty great.

Mick

Mick

Zep i sadly DO tend to overlook but everytime i play them.....they slap me across the face and go "silly bitch!!"

Mick

I am exactly the same, by I have no issue saying I am not a massive fan of Plants voice so I have to be in a certain frame of mind

• Like 1

Judas Priest and Iron Maiden join Rush as my fave metal/hard rock bands of the seventies and eighties. Throw in Megadeath as well.

I honestly feel like I've discovered heavy metal all over again!

• Like 3

Judas Priest and Iron Maiden join Rush as my fave metal/hard rock bands of the seventies and eighties. Throw in Megadeath as well.

Priest, Maiden, Rush, Megadeth....toss in Sabbath and Anthrax for good measure but great palette of bands to love there!

• Like 1

Priest, Maiden, Rush, Megadeth....toss in Sabbath and Anthrax for good measure but great palette of bands to love there!

Deep Purple as well for me. Not at all an Anthrax fan really but I respect them.

• Like 2

If your talking classic metal this is my holy trinity.

Sabbath (get on this band more next Segue)

Maiden

Priest

you can even toss Zep in there on a good day.

Sorry to say i don't like Rush near as much as i used too. Don't get angry i still like them. but i think i can count on one hand the times i've played them in the last 3 years.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Maiden

Priest

Sorry to say i don't like Rush near as much as i used too. Don't get angry i still like them. but i think i can count on one hand the times i've played them in the last 3 years.

Mick

I love Rush with a passion but there are bands I love as much or more. Iron Maiden and Priest are so great I may now end up loving them both more than any other bands in time. Hoping to see Maiden this year

• Like 1

Also for me you can put in Early Metallica as well.

i need to pay more attention to Megadeath.

Mick

Honestly? Metallica have faded massively for me.

• Like 1

Maiden

Priest

Mick

Sure, you could toss Zeppelin in there...

But they're not metal.

• Like 2

Maiden

Priest

Mick

But they're not metal.

yea i was stretching it, lol

Mick

Maiden

Priest

Mick

But they're not metal.

yea i was stretching it, lol

Mick

They have some metal moments and were influential in the genre though. Viking themed metal probably doesn't exist without them.

• Like 2

So Saxon are fine. Not as good as I expected but a nice band all the same.

There aren't many bands in the same league as Priest and Maiden, are there?

I call Saxon "dollar store Priest". There is nothing Saxon has done that Priest didn't do first and do better. I do give Saxon credit for one thing. Of all the Priest copycats out there, they are the most successful and lasted the longest.

Sabbath's first six albums I would put in the same league as Maiden and Priest. I would also put Heaven And Hell and The Mob Rules there as well. Have you ever heard Rainbow's first three albums with Dio? Those are up there too. Have you ever given Dio a try at all? Love his first four albums. From Rainbow onward, Dio never did anything that bad. There's a few solo albums that are a little off but overall he always had quality stuff.

• Like 2

I call Saxon "dollar store Priest". There is nothing Saxon has done that Priest didn't do first and do better. I do give Saxon credit for one thing. Of all the Priest copycats out there, they are the most successful and lasted the longest.

Sabbath's first six albums I would put in the same league as Maiden and Priest. I would also put Heaven And Hell and The Mob Rules there as well. Have you ever heard Rainbow's first three albums with Dio? Those are up there too. Have you ever given Dio a try at all? Love his first four albums. From Rainbow onward, Dio never did anything that bad. There's a few solo albums that are a little off but overall he always had quality stuff.

I really like Dio. Rainbow are fantastic, Holy Diver is a fantastic album. Kickstarted my Black Sabbath listening period yesterday. Honestly really enjoyed the debut, it has a lot of that Kate sixties British blues sound, but darker and really interesting. Already a good start as I used to hate the album. All I could think of yesterday is they sound like the band every goth and doom metal band I love told me to listen too. Odd how it takes years for something to click with you!

I love Master Of Reality to death.

• Like 2

I love Anything with Dio. but i've been a dio mark all my life so, lol

First six Sabbath i agree on. it's in the same class as and Maiden and Priest.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

so all i've been living on and alternating between is Maiden and priest exclusively and i think i need help.

I'm really digging the Dickinson reunion stuff as well. long as it all is. it's all very awesome.

• Like 2

so all i've been living on and alternating between is Maiden and priest exclusively and i think i need help.

I'm really digging the Dickinson reunion stuff as well. long as it all is. it's all very awesome.

It's metal that fills me with happiness and joy!

• Like 2

Whenever jess (my lovely patient girl friend, lol) spends the night. i have to use headphone.

she says if she has to hear either of these 2 bands again. i will be thrown through the window, lol

i'm obsessed

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Whenever jess (my lovely patient girl friend, lol) spends the night. i have to use headphone.

she says if she has to hear either of these 2 bands again. i will be thrown through the window, lol

i'm obsessed

Mick

I can't put my finger on why but they are so addictive and Maiden especially make me really happy.

• Like 1