The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

it's been a while but i figured while i'm in Quarantine. i'd revive this.

i had been getting depressed for a while what with horrible news and people just miserable in general. i'm just not getting back into serious music mode.

it's funny EP did a journey thread i've been into them lately.

it's funny they are known as hit makers but their albums as whole works are awesome. and perry remains a golden voice in his prime most people would still kill to have.

Messy personal problems aside. they were a truly great band.

Mick

When I first started high school and I was really starting to make some choices about my favorite music, Journey actually made the shortlist for my top 5 bands. Now I can't say that they'd get close today, but I can still hear clearly what I did then that made me love them. Classic songwriting, ear-catching vocals, massive harmonies, shining guitar work, and a bluesy background. They had a ton going for them.

• Like 1

I love Journey. When I first joined this forum, they were one of those bands I dismissed as cheesy old school rock. Once I took up the recommendation to play Infinity, well, I became obsessed. I love five of their albums to death!

I'm under lockdown, music and movies is a must.

• Like 2

i had been getting depressed for a while what with horrible news and people just miserable in general. i'm just not getting back into serious music mode.

it's funny they are known as hit makers but their albums as whole works are awesome. and perry remains a golden voice in his prime most people would still kill to have.

Mick

When I first started high school and I was really starting to make some choices about my favorite music, Journey actually made the shortlist for my top 5 bands. Now I can't say that they'd get close today, but I can still hear clearly what I did then that made me love them. Classic songwriting, ear-catching vocals, massive harmonies, shining guitar work, and a bluesy background. They had a ton going for them.

Journey was my first AOR band (before i put a name to the style, lol) and i have a MAJOR soft spot for them. now that i've dived deep into the genre i wouldn't call them my fav AOR band. HOWEVER......i do think Perry is the gold standard for AOR singers. as evidenced by the many perry clones that popped up in AOR after.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

Journey was my first AOR band (before i put a name to the style, lol) and i have a MAJOR soft spot for them. now that i've dived deep into the genre i wouldn't call them my fav AOR band. HOWEVER......i do think Perry is the gold standard for AOR singers. as evidenced by the many perry clones that popped up in AOR after.

Mick

Totally.

Speaking of AOR, I was watching an episode of a documentary series called Rock Legends recently where they tried to call AOR, as I know it from this forum, "American Rock." The whole episode was about Boston, REO Speedwagon, and Styx, and though they did have a lot of interesting things to say about the three bands and their style of music, hearing them continually say stuff like "Boston's first album really pioneered the American Rock style" or "Styx were really the definitive American Rock band" was pretty cringey. So I'm glad I know the term AOR form this forum.

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

Totally.

Speaking of AOR, I was watching an episode of a documentary series called Rock Legends recently where they tried to call AOR, as I know it from this forum, "American Rock." The whole episode was about Boston, REO Speedwagon, and Styx, and though they did have a lot of interesting things to say about the three bands and their style of music, hearing them continually say stuff like "Boston's first album really pioneered the American Rock style" or "Styx were really the definitive American Rock band" was pretty cringey. So I'm glad I know the term AOR form this forum.

American rock style? lol.

AOR'S catchier. it's a great genre. and what's weird it has a unioue flavor they really doesn't exist in other genre's. it's like it's own bubble, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Segue I just feel like you'll like this, maybe love it:

a3455290920_10.jpg

Check out track 3, Mud, if you don't have time for any of the longer tracks.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

Segue I just feel like you'll like this, maybe love it:

a3455290920_10.jpg

Check out track 3, Mud, if you don't have time for any of the longer tracks.

Ok! Always up for something new

• Like 1

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-9LpjCnCDEOk/US8_xHCUuLI/AAAAAAAAPY4/6oAhyECbi8E/s1600/Muppetts.jpg

The Blue Fox and The Cupcake Warrior

It's great to see you my friend. i've missed you around here.

Mick

• Like 1

I still remember our Springsteen and King's X chats!
  • Like 2

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-9LpjCnCDEOk/US8_xHCUuLI/AAAAAAAAPY4/6oAhyECbi8E/s1600/Muppetts.jpg

The Blue Fox and The Cupcake Warrior

It's great to see you my friend. i've missed you around here.

Mick

Thank you for your kind words my friend!

• Like 1

I still remember our Springsteen and King's X chats!

Hope to have many more chats to come, my friend!

That was sick!

• Like 1

It's been ages!

So here's my update on bands I'm currently obsessed with:

Kings Of Leon

Biffy Clyro

The Doors

Bruce Springsteen

Epica

And you?

EP I include you too!

• Like 1

let's see

1. Pendragon

2. IQ

3. Toto

4. Steely Dan

5. Kate Bush

i've Been really getting into neo prog with Pendragon and IQ.

IQ is weird. they're like if peter Gabriel Never left Genesis but i like these guys better then Gabriel Genesis. more melodic.

and the rest is all comfort music, lol

Mick

• Like 1

let's see

1. Pendragon

2. IQ

3. Toto

4. Steely Dan

5. Kate Bush

IQ is weird. they're like if peter Gabriel Never left Genesis but i like these guys better then Gabriel Genesis. more melodic.

Mick

I'm all about comfort music too. My list is nostalgia heavy, and I've reconnected with Leon and Biffy in a major way. The sounds of my teens, both of them. I need that right now.

• Like 1

let's see

1. Pendragon

2. IQ

3. Toto

4. Steely Dan

5. Kate Bush

Mick

I'm all about comfort music too. My list is nostalgia heavy, and I've reconnected with Leon and Biffy in a major way. The sounds of my teens, both of them. I need that right now.

oh i love Biffy. Not one disappointing album IMO.

Mick

Oh EP. if you like Pink floyd/genesis i'd suggest Pendragon to you.

Musically there more genesis but their lead singer guitarist plays just like David gilm

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Cool to see what you guys are into right now! Getting bright summery vibes from Segue and headphone session vibes from Mick. It's all great!

Honestly I've been jumping between things like I'm playing frogger. What with the massive load of new records I got from my dad's friend recently and another sizable chunk of new things I've snagged since being stuck at home, I'm almost struggling just to keep up with all this new music. But here are a few I've been playing a lot in the past few months:

King Crimson

Jimmy Eat World

Jethro Tull

Def Leppard

Museo Rosenbach

As of right now I just listened to Deftones Around The Fur and Sum 41 All Killer, No Filler for the first time each in the past 24 hours. Loved both!

• Like 1

Musically there more geniais but their lead singer guitarist plays just like David gilmour

Mick

I've been itching to check out some of this kind of newer prog recently, I'll check them out!

Btw, the album I posted at the top of the page while back is also neo-prog, somewhere between Genesis and Yes with pristine female vocals.

• Like 1

Cool to see what you guys are into right now! Getting bright summery vibes from Segue and headphone session vibes from Mick. It's all great!

Honestly I've been jumping between things like I'm playing frogger. What with the massive load of new records I got from my dad's friend recently and another sizable chunk of new things I've snagged since being stuck at home, I'm almost struggling just to keep up with all this new music. But here are a few I've been playing a lot in the past few months:

King Crimson

Jimmy Eat World

Jethro Tull

Def Leppard

Museo Rosenbach

As of right now I just listened to Deftones Around The Fur and Sum 41 All Killer, No Filler for the first time each in the past 24 hours. Loved both!

Headphone vibes is right. in addition to the major 2 pog bands i listed. i've been re-visiting prog in general as well. the epitome of headphone music.

Mick

• Like 1

It's been ages!

So here's my update on bands I'm currently obsessed with:

Kings Of Leon

Biffy Clyro

The Doors

Bruce Springsteen

Epica

And you?

EP I include you too!

Trivium.

But you already knew that lol.

I find it odd that I missed out on them for as long as I did. It's not like they're some under the radar band that I never heard of until recently. Their name has always had a solid presence in the metal world over the years, I just never gave them a listen for whatever reason. A lot of what they do well is what I like about metal in the first place.

Musically there more genesis but their lead singer guitarist plays just like David gilm

Mick

Dude that was awesome!

let's see

1. Pendragon

2. IQ

3. Toto

4. Steely Dan

5. Kate Bush

Mick

oh i love Biffy. Not one disappointing album IMO.

Mick

New album in August. All three singles are killer.

King Crimson

Jimmy Eat World

Jethro Tull

Def Leppard

Museo Rosenbach

What Jimmy have you heard?