The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

I think Images and Words has some of their best songs (Take The Time, Metropolis Pt. 1, Under A Glass Moon and Learning To Live) but it ain't my favorite DT album either which is funny/ironic cause I think Octavarium has less songs I'd consider to be their best yet as a whole, it's my favorite DT album.

it's my 2nd fav.......and most criminally underrated. love Octavarium.

Mick

I think Images and Words has some of their best songs (Take The Time, Metropolis Pt. 1, Under A Glass Moon and Learning To Live) but it ain't my favorite DT album either which is funny/ironic cause I think Octavarium has less songs I'd consider to be their best yet as a whole, it's my favorite DT album.

it's my 2nd fav.......and most criminally underrated. love Octavarium.

Mick

I think it's my favourite.

I've really lost interest in Scenes. I just find it too overdone and I don't like the story. Which I hear whether I'm concentrating on the lyrics or not.

• Like 1

I find Scenes to be just a tad overrated. It definitely lost lustre on me through the years but had I not listen to it when I did, I probably would've completely written off the band as another bland and unexciting modern prog band (and believe me, there's a lot of those kinds of bands for me personally).
  • Like 1

I find Scenes to be just a tad overrated. It definitely lost lustre on me through the years but had I not listen to it when I did, I probably would've completely written off the band as another bland and unexciting modern prog band (and believe me, there's a lot of those kinds of bands for me personally).

Haken

I think it's not the best.......but i put scenes as number 1 cause it's a sentimental fav. it was my first DT album.

Mick

I don't think sentiment has ever elevated an album over ones I like more.

If this was the case my favourite album would be ABBA Gold hahaha

• Like 1

I think it's not the best.......but i put scenes as number 1 cause it's a sentimental fav. it was my first DT album.

Mick

I don't think sentiment has ever elevated an album over ones I like more.

If this was the case my favourite album would be ABBA Gold hahaha

happens to me from time to time but i just don't admit it............ lol.

Scenes is one.

Pointers sisters break out is another, lol

Mick

Haken

I only listened to The Mountain but that was during a time when they were being overhyped on the DT Forum (which I'm gonna say for the record am no longer a participant in) and as a result listened to it and it went in one ear and out the other, but I think in large part because me and overhyped bands/albums in any scene don't go well together unless in super rare occassions.

I guess for me after the seventies I am more into progressive flavoured metal. LIKE...the post rock or post metal style with longer songs and complex structures and darker, deeper, denser feeling.

Which reminds me I need to repurchase Isis records. I've seen them mentioned recently and I lost my albums years ago. Oceanic and Panopticon were my favourites.

I guess for me after the seventies I am more into progressive flavoured metal. LIKE...the post rock or post metal style with longer songs and complex structures and darker, deeper, denser feeling.

Which reminds me I need to repurchase Isis records. I've seen them mentioned recently and I lost my albums years ago. Oceanic and Panopticon were my favourites.

After my "prog" period ended was the time I began gravitating towards avant-garde metal/experimental metal, post-metal stuff...they weren't necessarily heavily prog sounding like Opeth and DT were but they had a sort of similar ambition like prog-metal. Sounds sacrilegious, but in hindsight, I enjoy modern prog bands that crossover genres/subgenres more than I do that are straight on prog.

The Isis back catalogue before and including Panopticon went out of print after the band disbanded but the first three full lengths (Celestial, Oceanic, and of course Panopticon) were remastered and reissued 2-3 years ago so if you buy those albums today, chances are you'll run into the newer editions of the albums. Did it need remastering? Honestly, there wasn't much that was seriously flawed in either album's mix that had to be improved (if there's one album that needed to be remastered it's In The Absence Of Truth) but as TRF's biggest fan of the band (very self-servient of me yes) it was a much welcome remastering and after some time to sink it in, I now prefer the remasters over the originals. I own both the original and remasters (sans Celestial) and the remasters sound much more detailed w/o losing the ferocity of the originals.

So i watched the first night of Neverender mr Not..........and wow Awesome. what i want to know how does Claudio sing so high and sound so good live? cause you know a lot of people who sing high. nerf it live. cause it's hard to do. not Claudio, he melted my face, lol

I'm not going to pretend I know how, but he's a great vocalist.. Especially considering that he's got bad acid reflux which has had a history of messing with him during live performances.

If you make it to Night III, you'll see (what I assume to be it) in action during the very first verse of Miss Erica Court... He barely makes it through the first line... But it's hardly a trainwreck, I actually have grown really fond of the version :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scIqrVDlfwc

• Like 1

Mick, I finally bought the Live In Poland DVD.

Gonna watch it in proper good quality later!

• Like 1

Glenn Hughes´ new album resonate is out today!

I still need to check his body of work out.

I LOVE BLACK COUNTRY COMMUNION but that's about it.

Glenn Hughes´ new album resonate is out today!

I still need to check his body of work out.

I LOVE BLACK COUNTRY COMMUNION but that's about it.

I told you before: start with Hughes/Thrall URGENTLY, then move on to his solo album From Now on. You´ll be hooked in no time!

So i watched the first night of Neverender mr Not..........and wow Awesome. what i want to know how does Claudio sing so high and sound so good live? cause you know a lot of people who sing high. nerf it live. cause it's hard to do. not Claudio, he melted my face, lol

I'm not going to pretend I know how, but he's a great vocalist.. Especially considering that he's got bad acid reflux which has had a history of messing with him during live performances.

If you make it to Night III, you'll see (what I assume to be it) in action during the very first verse of Miss Erica Court... He barely makes it through the first line... But it's hardly a trainwreck, I actually have grown really fond of the version :D

In hindsight while it wasn't this incarnation of Neverender, I have to say Neverender - In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3 in 2014 was one of the better shows I've seen in recent memory (at least of the bigger, theater style shows) Claudio sounded great that night I saw the Coheed crew. Edited by PolarizeMe

you did it to me.......i ordered the Neverender DVD. must have it, lol

Mick

Met someone today and we discussed music while he played two albums from his phone. First it was 21 pilots (which I didn't know until he started talking about them), and then he decide to play Apollo I'm Burning Star IV (in full) without even knowing that Coheed was one of my favorite bands (of course, as soon as keeping the blade began I mentioned it).

Funny coincidence, I thought.

• Like 1

Met someone today and we discussed music while he played two albums from his phone. First it was 21 pilots (which I didn't know until he started talking about them), and then he decide to play Apollo I'm Burning Star IV (in full) without even knowing that Coheed was one of my favorite bands (of course, as soon as keeping the blade began I mentioned it).

Awesome!

I finally watched the Revenge DVD from SA.

Raw and a bit scrappy...loved it!

i wanna know what you thought of 21 pilots, lol. cause you know my deep seeded hatred of those fake ass douches.

i swear no band has pushed my buttons more, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Good for you

I shouldn't hate them so much..........but you know the feeling.......i'm sure you do, lol

Mick

Nope...

(LOLSIES)

Yeah I feel this way about Imagine Dragons.

i wanna know what you thought of 21 pilots, lol. cause you know my deep seeded hatred of those fake ass douches.

i swear no band has pushed my buttons more, lol

Mick

I didn't like it, but I didn't hate it. It's clearly not my thing, so I just kind of tuned it out eventually, honestly.

On the internet, it's nice to speak your mind about things... In person, for the sake of sociability, it might be a good idea not to bash someone's favorite band as a first impression :P

In general in person, I'm stoic when music is playing that I don't like. With the exception of a few terrible pop hits that i can't stand, I can take the heat.

• Like 1