The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

http://www.therushfo...20#entry4172874

Something as innocuous as continuing to perform as a musician is "morally incorrect"...

Only fraroc... Only fraroc.

Let him be. Frackledackle ain't worth the smallest fraction of my time.

As an old member here once said (I'm paraphrasing here big time, by the way) "I've left politics because things can get very heated and stressful... Depressing or even scary. It's much more fun to debate simple and harmless things like whether Vapor Trails is a bad album"

With that said, there's a reason why I just posted about fraydaddy in here rather than make a direct response to him. But I won't derail this thread any further ;)

http://www.therushfo...20#entry4172874

Something as innocuous as continuing to perform as a musician is "morally incorrect"...

Only fraroc... Only fraroc.

Awe Fray fray needs to get laid is all.

Mick

I wonder why doesn't go to The Stonewall. :huh:

As an old member here once said (I'm paraphrasing here big time, by the way) "I've left politics because things can get very heated and stressful... Depressing or even scary. It's much more fun to debate simple and harmless things like whether Vapor Trails is a bad album"

With that said, there's a reason why I just posted about fraydaddy in here rather than make a direct response to him. But I won't derail this thread any further ;)

I get what you tried to do. Yeah, I don't mind discussing the fickle, but talking directly to him is a lost cause. :LOL:

Edited by PolarizeMe
  • Like 1

I personally believe that Hansi Kursh is the most powerful voice in metal. There's just so much natural power to his tone, and I have reason to believe it's often effortless for him... He's a baritone, yet sometimes you could mistake him for a tenor. As the video description points out (and of demonstrates, of course), he's very versatile in his singing too.

http://youtu.be/hXu79ysIXTM

Hansi is a versatile high baritone best known as frontman of Blind Guardian and Demons & Wizards, and supposed ruler of Germany. He has an exceptionally raw voice which has improved exponentially over the years, and while he is still known to scream quite a bit, he exudes fantastic control over his voice. In fact, he pulls so much chest into his high notes that sometimes you can't quite tell that he's singing as high as he is.Despite this, perhaps Hansi's most defining characteristic as a vocalist is his intricate use of vocal layering to replicate the sound of a choir, where he uses different techniques (both rough and clean) to create a variety of different textures.

0:00 Strong F2s from "Imaginations from the Other Side" (much more evident in the 2011 remix)

0:14 Singing down to a solid E♭2 from "Thorn", the lowest he's gone in a lead melody

0:24 Going down to a sustained E♭2 from "Sacred Worlds"

0:33 Strong low harmony singing around E♭2 from a cover of "Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida"

1:06 Surprising dip to D2 in the Live version of "Nightfall"

1:16 Growly background vocals down to C♯2 in "Noldor (Dead Winter Reigns)"

1:28 His lowest note, a solid B♭1 from the intro to "Nightfall" on the live DVD

1:34 An awesome super-clean phrase sung on C♯5 (with one super-short E5) from a live version of "Mordred's Song"

1:44 Powerful but clean D5 from "Precious Jerusalem"

1:55 A fantastic dramatic passage from "And Then There Was Silence (2011)" where he first starts the lines on powerful C♯5s and later goes up to a gritty D5

2:23 Some exceptionally light singing topping at D5 from "Crimson King"

2:48 A heavy-vibrato'd E♭5 sustained in the Live version of "Bright Eyes"

2:57 A raw sustained E♭5, followed by an entire line sung at that pitch in a much cleaner fashion, from "Punishment Divine"

3:25 Desperate yet clean singing up to E♭5 in "The Gunslinger"

3:35 A pair of thoroughly pissed-off sounding E♭5s from "Crimson King"

3:49 A great sung flat E5 with heavy vibrato from "Theater of Pain". Even earlier Hansi had his moments.

3:58 A similar E5 after some gritty belting from "The Eldar"

4:14 An incredibly powerful E5 from the end of "Precious Jerusalem"

4:26 Hansi's best note ever, a smooth and powerful E5 from his best overall performance "Age of False Innocence". He's never even attempted this song live.

4:42 Two clips of raw singing up to F5 from "Quest for Tanelorn", really showcasing Hansi's slightly less refined style from the earlier days

5:06 From a rare version of "Nightfall" without the lead vocal track, VERY powerful singing topping at F5 from the background vocals

5:19 Soaring up to F5 in the harmony of the chorus of "Under the Ice"

5:31 A pair of piercing F5s from "Tanelorn" (not to be confused with "The Quest for Tanelorn")

5:50 A chesty F♯5 scream from "When Sorrow Sang"

6:06 Angry singing up to several F♯5s from the bridge of "My Last Sunrise"

6:36 A later phrase from that same song, gliding up to F♯5, then hitting that pitch again more roughly

6:50 Blistering sustained F♯5 from the live version of that song (the studio version has this note buried under a B4)

7:00 To break the pattern a bit, a very thin, but well-placed F♯5 in "Winter of Souls"

7:10 Powerful F♯5s from the background in "A Voice in the Dark"

7:30 A primal G5 from Blind Guardian's cover of Deep Purple's "Hallelujah"

7:38 A banshee shrieked G5 from "Trial by Fire"

7:47 Very clean singing topping at G5 from "Age of False Innocence"

7:59 Working up to a very shrill G5 in the melody from "The Whistler". Not the most pleasant thing to listen to, but neither is the song.

8:12 Some truly brutal "singing" up to one quick G♯5 and ending on a G5 from "Noldor" with a quick F2 at the beginning

8:36 The famous climax of "Fiddler on the Green," starting on E♭5 before climbing and touching G♯5, then dropping back down

8:57 From the vocally bizarre "This Will Never End," a line sung around F♯5 in the harmony (with E2s in the background!), followed immediately by sustained F♯ with a quick trill to A5

9:15 A ridiculous sustained falsetto A5 from the ending of the early Blind Guardian tune "Altair 4"

9:24 An incredible sustain with multiple trills to A5 in "Noldor"

9:40 And even harmony singing around A5 from the demo version of "Tanelorn (Into the Void)"

9:55 Here is the first of two audience participation sections, insane screaming up to B♭5 at the end of "Travel in Stygian" from Balligen

10:08 B♭5s again following "Fiddler on the Green" in Paris. This is immediately followed by a nonchalant E2!

10:22 A frantic, almost inhuman scream topping at D6 taken from outtakes of the video game Sacred 2.

He has a very impressive voice! I actually think I could be a fan in time...

He has a very impressive voice! I actually think I could be a fan in time...

I haven't checked out his work as Demons & Wizards, but Blind Guardian is fantastic.

One of many great things I can say about the band is that the lyrical themes are always interesting. He often bases his lyrics on novels he reads, retelling the story in some way. During one album they released, Hansi decided to go all-out with this lyrical style. Said album is "A Twist in the Myth", and it has one song per one story. Very fun idea.

Here's Peter Pan's

And here's Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde's

Gonna dig into Blind Guardian. Never paid any attention to them as I thought they'd be a cheesy power metal band...but this sounds like my kind of bombast!

Also tonight I see Twenty One Pilots!!

SO EXCITED!!!

• Like 1

Gonna dig into Blind Guardian. Never paid any attention to them as I thought they'd be a cheesy power metal band...but this sounds like my kind of bombast!

SO EXCITED!!!

bring a puke bucket, lol.

kidding enjoy bud.

Mick

SO EXCITED!!!

bring a puke bucket, lol.

kidding enjoy bud.

Mick

You need to get over this now lol

They are legit on a high end level for me as much as a lot of stuff you love that I don't like bud haha

• Like 1

I can say i've official turned the corner with Thrice.

it took ages.

I still am not a fan of the first 2 records.

I think they found their footing with the Artist in the Ambulance.

Mick

The first two albums are fine but the third album is where my obsession truly starts!!

• Like 1

Mr. Not i manged to get a hold of the Coheed neverender live boxset.....it was used but works great. anyway. my love for this band grows daily. what a great purchase this was.

i love it's the complete first 4 albums live.

And i can't believe no World for tomorrow isn't more liked.....but that's a personal thing, lol

Mick

• Like 1

The gig was incredible.

Dripping with heart and emotion the crowd knew every line. They looked so touched and so many amazing songs sounded even greater live.

The most emotional and personal gig I have ever been too. This band knows their fans and treat them with the greatest care.

If you don't get it, good for you but they mean the world to many and it's not our problem if you think you're opinion is the right one.

Absolutely breathtaking. Loved every second and I had some doubts going into it that these songs could work live.

• Like 1

Mr. Not i manged to get a hold of the Coheed neverender live boxset.....it was used but works great. anyway. my love for this band grows daily. what a great purchase this was.

And i can't believe no World for tomorrow isn't more liked.....but that's a personal thing, lol

Mick

That box set has got to be worth full-price since you like NWFT a lot. It's a decently liked album by fans and critics, it's just that their first three albums are (and probably always will be) the most renowned. It's my least favorite album, yeah, but I still like it a good amount.

How much did you buy the box set for? I believe I paid somewhere between 100-120 dollars, and since I was one of the first 3,000 people I got an autographed certificate of authenticity as a "Child of the Fence"..

I remember my friend at the time (we'd still be friends but he got more popular and moved around so, people just sort of naturally drift apart) showed me that he had the box set torrented, and I was surprised that someone decided to host the files... I didn't care and still was glad I bought the box set, and I wouldn't be surprised by something like that today.

• Like 1

The gig was incredible.

Dripping with heart and emotion the crowd knew every line. They looked so touched and so many amazing songs sounded even greater live.

The most emotional and personal gig I have ever been too. This band knows their fans and treat them with the greatest care.

If you don't get it, good for you but they mean the world to many and it's not our problem if you think you're opinion is the right one.

Absolutely breathtaking. Loved every second and I had some doubts going into it that these songs could work live.

Segue, I'm happy for you. :cheers:

Blurryface is brilliant right from the very start. The album is a cornucopia of intelligent lyrics, presented with a lot of passion. The instrumentation of these guys is very well reasoned and very well arranged. I love their sound on this album and it contains lots of killer tunes.

Even an old geezer like me is able to get into them these days. :codger:

As a side note I should say that this is actually the first time I like any rap sections, in any song, since RTB came out, and it took me much to swallow that one. :hail:

• Like 1

The gig was incredible.

Blurryface is brilliant right from the very start. The album is a cornucopia of intelligent lyrics, presented with a lot of passion. The instrumentation of these guys is very well reasoned and very well arranged. I love their sound on this album and it contains lots of killer tunes.

As a side note I should say that this is actually the first time I like any rap sections, in any song, since RTB came out, and it took me much to swallow that one. :hail:

I'm so glad I'm not alone! Yes the lyricist (so late his name escapes me) suffers with depression and ha's had a lot of issues like mine with confidence etc. It really reflects in his lyrics and his style just really touches me. I completely relate to them.

Believe me the entire audience felt like they were in company of friends. It was electric and I was amazed to see metal heads, hip hop fans, "normal people", punks and emos...the full crowd! They really hit home for many.

To me this is what pop music should be...something both catchy and able to connect. Blurryface has become the most important album I have heard all year for me. I missed it last year, but the album it's been my best friend and I just really am a grateful.

They are a wonderful band. There is something so pure and honest about what they do. I also really enjoy Vessel and the two albums that came before they were signed but Blurryface has a magic about it that I have to say strikes me as being a bit like Nevermind or Hybrid Theory. They are a defining band of this moment in time, and they are bringing people together. Seriously the audience was so diverse and every lyric was being screamed.

I have and good quality video of Heathens. I might upload it to YouTube and share here.

But for a band with only two members they truly took my breath away. They put on a full show, bursting with energy and theatrics but the music...my goodness it was note perfect and at times with every lyric being screamed you could see they were holding back tears.

They are amazing.

• Like 1

The gig was incredible.

I'm so glad I'm not alone! Yes the lyricist (so late his name escapes me) suffers with depression and ha's had a lot of issues like mine with confidence etc. It really reflects in his lyrics and his style just really touches me. I completely relate to them.

Believe me the entire audience felt like they were in company of friends. It was electric and I was amazed to see metal heads, hip hop fans, "normal people", punks and emos...the full crowd! They really hit home for many.

To me this is what pop music should be...something both catchy and able to connect. Blurryface has become the most important album I have heard all year for me. I missed it last year, but the album it's been my best friend and I just really am a grateful.

They are a wonderful band. There is something so pure and honest about what they do. I also really enjoy Vessel and the two albums that came before they were signed but Blurryface has a magic about it that I have to say strikes me as being a bit like Nevermind or Hybrid Theory. They are a defining band of this moment in time, and they are bringing people together. Seriously the audience was so diverse and every lyric was being screamed.

I have and good quality video of Heathens. I might upload it to YouTube and share here.

But for a band with only two members they truly took my breath away. They put on a full show, bursting with energy and theatrics but the music...my goodness it was note perfect and at times with every lyric being screamed you could see they were holding back tears.

They are amazing.

The album was part of my whole summer. I also missed the release last year and I first heard about them as one of our patients at the psychiatry where I work, played it for me. At the same time you hyped it on here, so I thought I had to dig deeper...

Nothing like driving in the car on a sunny day, and singing along to this guys. Great album. :cheers:

Mick

That box set has got to be worth full-price since you like NWFT a lot. It's a decently liked album by fans and critics, it's just that their first three albums are (and probably always will be) the most renowned. It's my least favorite album, yeah, but I still like it a good amount.

How much did you buy the box set for? I believe I paid somewhere between 100-120 dollars, and since I was one of the first 3,000 people I got an autographed certificate of authenticity as a "Child of the Fence"..

I remember my friend at the time (we'd still be friends but he got more popular and moved around so, people just sort of naturally drift apart) showed me that he had the box set torrented, and I was surprised that someone decided to host the files... I didn't care and still was glad I bought the box set, and I wouldn't be surprised by something like that today.

cheapest one i found was 150. but i had the cash, lol. so didn't bug me/

and worth it...DVD's And CD'S so i'm happy.

Mick

Mick

Mick

Agreed...I preodered the new Nightwish live DVD blu ray/DVD CD media book set for £75 and Amazon slashed it to £35.

Believe me...I would have been willing to buy it for £150.

But £35 is lush!

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

Have you watched the documentary included in the set? It's pretty cool. I've only watched it the once, but I may revisit it sometime soon.

• Like 1

Winterhearts Guild may rob Days Of Grays from the top spot on my list of Sonata Arctica albums.

Wow its just blowing me away more and more. What a gorgeous album!

Current top three is RN, DOG and WG. Unia is forth.

Love this band! I have a more rational respect for them now I'm out the honeymoon phase.

And I pretty much love them even more than I realised!

Winterhearts Guild may rob Days Of Grays from the top spot on my list of Sonata Arctica albums.

Wow its just blowing me away more and more. What a gorgeous album!

Current top three is RN, DOG and WG. Unia is forth.

Love this band! I have a more rational respect for them now I'm out the honeymoon phase.

And I pretty much love them even more than I realised!

Winterheart's Guild has been my long-time favorite and I don't think it'll ever budge from first place. I also don't think Reckoning Night will budge from second.

The only problem with Winterheart's Guild is the bonus track isn't very strong, and Draw Me is a bit too similar to the superior "The Misery"... Other than that? Strong track after strong track after strong track..