The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

For anybvody's interest.

I have spent so much time On Coheed And Cambria.

so here are my rankings

1. In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth

2. No World For Tomorrow

3. Year of the Black Rainbow

4. The Afterman:Ascension

5. Second Stage Turbine Blade

6. The Color Before the sun

7. Good apollo (I know i know........this seems to be a fav.......but while it has great stuff. it's way to over long for me)

8. The Afterman: Descension

Mick

8. No World For Tomorrow

7. The Afterman: Ascension

6. The Afterman: Descension

5. The Color Before the Sun

4. Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV

3. Second Stage Turbine Blade

2. In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3

1. Year of the Black Rainbow

I'm gonna have to get back to you both as far as a more accurate up to date version of my ranking of Coheed albums, but I'll share mine anyway based on how I felt the last time I listened to them. Looks like I'll need to marathon through the band's discography this week!)

8. No World For Tomorrow (yeah I know I didn't listen to it yet, but for all intents and purposes, it's probably gonna end up dead last for me anyway LOL)

7. The Afterman: Descension

6. The Color Before The Sun

5. The Afterman: Ascension

4. Year Of The Black Rainbow

3. The Second Stage Turbine Blade

2. Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV

1. In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3

No World For Tomorrow was the second "new" Coheed album I was a fan to hear during release... It was a huge disappointment after I'm Burning Star IV, and over time it's not really been much better. It really represents the end of their older style, I think. A lot of the songs are sort of run-of-the-mill Coheed, but poor.

The songs from the album I enjoy are:

The Hound

^ Really great tune

The Running Free

^ A nice single, but not exceptional.

Mother Superior

^ Masterpiece -- best song of the album

Gravemakers & Gunslingers

^ One of the most exciting Coheed songs, and the bass during the verses just endlessly knocks my socks off.

And then there's The Endless Chapter series.. It has it's moments, but overall part II is the best, and III is good.

I is too short and too repetitive to even matter, and though it sets an epic tone it's not all that impressive otherwise

IV is usually a 'skip' for me, it's okay...

V is also just okay and usually a 'skip'. Coheed does a good job at doing Pink Floyd, that's for sure, but what the hell is the point of that bridge? Let's stick with The Final Cut :)

All the other songs I didn't list -- you can assume those range from bad to okay in my mind.

No World For Tomorrow remains the only Coheed album that I haven't listened to yet. I think album art is downright comical (and not in a good way either!) I think the only song I've listened to from the title track. :LOL:

Also, and this might push a few buttons but I honestly think Chris Pennie's time in Coheed was dead on arrival. And this assertion has nothing to do with his skills as a drummer cause he's a fantastic drummer nor who he is as a person (according to his ex-bandmate Ben Weinman of The Dillinger Escape Plan prior to joining Coheed, Chris was known to mock Claudio's voice and the band numerous times when Coheed's music was playing in the Dillinger tour bus saying that "They f**king suck"), but he got into legal trouble w/his former label Relapse Records for breaching contract for going off and lending his talent to other bands without giving them the OK to do so and as a result never even drummed on No World For Tomorrow (though he wrote all the drum parts) and then when he finally did drum on record for Year Of The Black Rainbow he left the following year which was bummer cause I wonder what would've happened musically he never left and it was only Mic Todd who left the band.

Taylor Hawkins of Foo Fighters.. Is a n00b.

OK - not really. But he obviously has a much different style than Chris and I prefer Chris's. Taylor's drumming sound inappropriate on NWFT - lacks the tone, the nuances, the finer details, and even some fills + ghost notes. This is especially apparent after you hear how great Chris sounds on Night IV and on YOtBR.

With that in mind, I still prefer Josh Eppard - and quite strongly. I consider him to be a core band member alongside Claudio and Travis.

I remember No World For Tomorrow really disappointing me as well. Especially after the album that came before...

I must try nd get back to them...I'm not excited too but I will when I want too haha

Those who reject bonus tracks on principle are foolish.

For example, Alter Bridges ABIII b-sides are as great as anything off the main album. Arguably better than half the songs as well.

For example, Alter Bridges ABIII b-sides are as great as anything off the main album. Arguably better than half the songs as well.

Sonata's bonus tracks are good, as you know :)

In the cases of Ecliptica, Unia, and Pariah's Child, they're among the strongest tracks of their respective albums

Sonata's bonus tracks are good, as you know :)

In the cases of Ecliptica, Unia, and Pariah's Child, they're among the strongest tracks of their respective albums

I dunno...some of them are...

I don't actually like The Elephant and honestly preferred the Bryan Adams cover

No World For Tomorrow was the second "new" Coheed album I was a fan to hear during release... It was a huge disappointment after I'm Burning Star IV, and over time it's not really been much better. It really represents the end of their older style, I think. A lot of the songs are sort of run-of-the-mill Coheed, but poor.

The songs from the album I enjoy are:

The Hound

^ Really great tune

The Running Free

^ A nice single, but not exceptional.

Mother Superior

^ Masterpiece -- best song of the album

Gravemakers & Gunslingers

^ One of the most exciting Coheed songs, and the bass during the verses just endlessly knocks my socks off.

And then there's The Endless Chapter series.. It has it's moments, but overall part II is the best, and III is good.

I is too short and too repetitive to even matter, and though it sets an epic tone it's not all that impressive otherwise

IV is usually a 'skip' for me, it's okay...

V is also just okay and usually a 'skip'. Coheed does a good job at doing Pink Floyd, that's for sure, but what the hell is the point of that bridge? Let's stick with The Final Cut :)

All the other songs I didn't list -- you can assume those range from bad to okay in my mind.

No World For Tomorrow remains the only Coheed album that I haven't listened to yet. I think album art is downright comical (and not in a good way either!) I think the only song I've listened to from the title track. :LOL:

Also, and this might push a few buttons but I honestly think Chris Pennie's time in Coheed was dead on arrival. And this assertion has nothing to do with his skills as a drummer cause he's a fantastic drummer nor who he is as a person (according to his ex-bandmate Ben Weinman of The Dillinger Escape Plan prior to joining Coheed, Chris was known to mock Claudio's voice and the band numerous times when Coheed's music was playing in the Dillinger tour bus saying that "They f**king suck"), but he got into legal trouble w/his former label Relapse Records for breaching contract for going off and lending his talent to other bands without giving them the OK to do so and as a result never even drummed on No World For Tomorrow (though he wrote all the drum parts) and then when he finally did drum on record for Year Of The Black Rainbow he left the following year which was bummer cause I wonder what would've happened musically he never left and it was only Mic Todd who left the band.

Taylor Hawkins of Foo Fighters.. Is a n00b.

OK - not really. But he obviously has a much different style than Chris and I prefer Chris's. Taylor's drumming sound inappropriate on NWFT - lacks the tone, the nuances, the finer details, and even some fills + ghost notes. This is especially apparent after you hear how great Chris sounds on Night IV and on YOtBR.

With that in mind, I still prefer Josh Eppard - and quite strongly. I consider him to be a core band member alongside Claudio and Travis.

http://youtu.be/pt9xpZpqbLI

I personally prefer Josh as well (I think nearly every Coheed fan does tbh). With Josh in the band, Coheed feels like a unified group rather than "Claudio, Travis and the two Garfunkels". That said, Chris Pennie's a great drummer, but his talents shined more on the first two Dillinger Escape Plan albums than Year Of The Black Rainbow. Edited by PolarizeMe

Was Josh the original drummer?

I can't believe how much I don't remember anything about this group...I'm playing my favourite album by them and only remember one song haha

For goodness sake my memory can't really be this bad

Was Josh the original drummer?

More or less. Before Coheed changed their name to Coheed they were "Shabutie" and he wasn't the original drummer during that phase.

He was out of the band for roughly 5 years while Chris took his place (2006ish thru 2011) but now he's back.

He's the most familiar Coheed drummer and he fits the bill.

So my current top five of 2016:

1. Kings Of Leon- Walls

=1. Thrice- To Be Everywhere Is To Be Nowhere

3. Alter Bridge- The Last Hero

4. Lacuna Coil- Delirium (huge bump for me)

5. Jimmy Eat World

Five other albums deserve mention in a top ten, no order:

Young Guns- Echoes

The Temperance Movement- White Bear

Sonata Arctica- The Ninth Hour

Sturgill Simpson- A Sailor's Guide To The Earth

Moose Blood- Blush

So far, two fat stinkers, in order of suckage:

1. Dream Theater- The Unastonishing

2. Bon Jovi- Can't Be Asked

This Year?

My top 5 has to be

in no order, BTW.

1Jimmy Eat World-Integrity Blues

2. Kansas-Prelude Implicit

3. Radiohead-A Moon Shaped Pool

4. Thrice- To Be Everywhere is to be Nowhere

5. Alter Bridge-the Last Hero

Very similar Segue, lol

Mick

• Like 1

This Year?

My top 5 has to be

in no order, BTW.

Very similar Segue, lol

Mick

I'm gonna get the new Kansas album soon.

I will always support this band. It is a nice album, I won't knock it.

No surprise seeing Radiohead! I found it very pleasant.

• Like 1

This Year?

My top 5 has to be

in no order, BTW.

Very similar Segue, lol

Mick

I'm gonna get the new Kansas album soon.

I will always support this band. It is a nice album, I won't knock it.

No surprise seeing Radiohead! I found it very pleasant.

I really wisH i could Put Dream Theater there.........but can't win em all, lol

and Jovi.......he sounded way way to bored and just done on that new record

why bother, lol

Mick

I still haven't listened to The Astonishing...can't be assed to either really. Is it wrong for me to say this it'll probably be one of my worst albums of the year without even listening to it?

On a slightly more positive note...my 10 favorite albums of 2016 so far and in no order...

Alcest - Kodama

Swans - The Glowing Man

Sumac - What One Becomes

Kayo Dot - Plastic House On Base Of Sky

Katatonia - The Fall of Hearts

Neurosis - Fires Within Fires

Mamiffer - The World Unseen

The Dillinger Escape Plan - Dissociation

Opeth - Sorceress

Devin Townsend - Transcendence

Today I was in a record store, and I heard a song play. I really connected with it. Normally, if I like a song I don't know I sorta memorise the lyrics and look it up later.

But I had to know there and then what it was I was listening too.

I ask at the front desk, and he tells me it is the latest Kings Of Leon. That one album wonder who thrilled me in 2008 with Only By The Night and fell flat for me ever since?

Yup...the same band.

The song was called Over. I love it.

I bought the album and it's just lovely. IT has a bit of The Killers about it, a smidge of the anthemic nature of U2 I enjoy, and a depth and beauty that reminds me strongly of Springsteen circa The River.

I love it...such a hit and miss band for me but this is an extremely big HIT!!

This is a week after I rolled my eyes reading an article informing the reader that this album is a major return to form.

I just thought that the one great album they have was a fluke. But...this is stunning.

Well done.

• Like 1

Today I was in a record store, and I heard a song play. I really connected with it. Normally, if I like a song I don't know I sorta memorise the lyrics and look it up later.

I ask at the front desk, and he tells me it is the latest Kings Of Leon. That one album wonder who thrilled me in 2008 with Only By The Night and fell flat for me ever since?

Yup...the same band.

I bought the album and it's just lovely. IT has a bit of The Killers about it, a smidge of the anthemic nature of U2 I enjoy, and a depth and beauty that reminds me strongly of Springsteen circa The River.

This is a week after I rolled my eyes reading an article informing the reader that this album is a major return to form.

I just thought that the one great album they have was a fluke. But...this is stunning.

Well done.

never heard a thing from this band........of course i know them by name though.

Mick

Yup...the same band.

Well done.

never heard a thing from this band........of course i know them by name though.

Mick

Only By The Night.

Amazing modern classic. I won't hesitate to call it one of the best modern rock albums ever.

This is close. Not quite...but close.

Mick I'm sorry I'm never in the mood to check out your prog bands.

Seriously...if I'm not in the mood for prog it all sounds ugly.

Even Yes makes me retch in the wrong frame of mind.

Boy oh boy it's amazing what the years will do to music taste.

i get it........rush and Geddy Lee's "singing" make me wanna retch these days, lol

Mick

i get it........rush and Geddy Lee's "singing" make me wanna retch these days, lol

Mick

I have one word for you Mick.

Fishbone

• Like 2

Mick

I have one word for you Mick.

Fishbone

http://youtu.be/JQWbl_05J4g

Nice.

1. Radiohead-A Moon Shaped Pool (9/10)

2. Jimmy Eat World- Integrity Blues (8/10- could go higher soon

3. Kansas-Prelude Implicit (10/10)

4. Alter Bridge-The Last Hero (9/10

5. Elton John- Wonderful Crazy Night (9/10

in no order

My top five albums this year:

1. Thrice- To Be Everywhere Is To Be Nowhere (10/10)

2. Alter Bridge- The Last Hero (9/10)

3. Jimmy Eat World- Integrity Blues (currently 8/10-early days!!)

4. Sonata Arctica- The Ninth Hour (8/10)

5. Tremonti- Dust (8/10)

So my current top five of 2016:

1. Kings Of Leon- Walls

=1. Thrice- To Be Everywhere Is To Be Nowhere

3. Alter Bridge- The Last Hero

4. Lacuna Coil- Delirium (huge bump for me)

5. Jimmy Eat World

Five other albums deserve mention in a top ten, no order:

Young Guns- Echoes

The Temperance Movement- White Bear

Sonata Arctica- The Ninth Hour

Sturgill Simpson- A Sailor's Guide To The Earth

Moose Blood- Blush

Edited by Mr. Not