The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

Met someone today and we discussed music while he played two albums from his phone. First it was 21 pilots (which I didn't know until he started talking about them), and then he decide to play Apollo I'm Burning Star IV (in full) without even knowing that Coheed was one of my favorite bands (of course, as soon as keeping the blade began I mentioned it).

Funny coincidence, I thought.

Awesome!

I finally watched the Revenge DVD from SA.

Raw and a bit scrappy...loved it!

!!

The performance of Replica is fantastic, and what an epic San Sebastian as well.

My only complaint about the show is that they should have played Gravenimage in full, not just tease it...

Mr. Not...I just finished listening to The Ninth Hour after a couple of weeks ignoring it...erm...to be totally truthful...

It is the first album they have released which I think is forgettable. Now the excitement is over...it's a lovely little record but it feels like a collection of b-sides. All filler, no killer.

Except Life and Closer To An Animal (those synths are heavenly).

Mr. Not...I just finished listening to The Ninth Hour after a couple of weeks ignoring it...erm...to be totally truthful...

It is the first album they have released which I think is forgettable. Now the excitement is over...it's a lovely little record but it feels like a collection of b-sides. All filler, no killer.

:(

My thoughts on the album are the same as well, the best songs are Closer, Life, and Rise.. The rest of the songs range from decent to unbearable.

WPBO2 is decent - it has a lot of potential

My thoughts on the album are the same as well, the best songs are Closer, Life, and Rise.. The rest of the songs range from decent to unbearable.

Count me in the same camp my fellow TRF Sonata fans... :(

At this point, the only two songs from the album I can stand listening to are...you guessed it, CTAA and Life.

Count me in the same camp my fellow TRF Sonata fans... :(

At this point, the only two songs from the album I can stand listening to are...you guessed it, CTAA and Life.

I think what annoys me the most is that this is a middle of the road album...truth be told I like to have strong feelings to anything I listen too...this is so vanilla for them it's sad.

Dope album cover though!

I enjoy the album. But I continue to be blown away by everything they have done...even the "bad" albums (which I love...and you know which ones I mean haha).

http://assets.blabbermouth.net.s3.amazonaws.com/media/sonataarcticaninthcd.jpg

(image posted above for reference)

The album cover for The Ninth Hour is awesome, but I don't like Tony's explanation of it..

The hourglass represents (which I thought of as bubbles.. a sideways hourglass? how does that work?) how we don't have much time to achieve a utopian society, and the gear in the middle is our "option". Do we want the dystopia with the umbrella woman (left) or the utopia with the... wolf howling from a cliff (right) (how the hell does that represent utopia?)

I stick by my initial interpretation of the entire album representing a utopian society, period.

The giant object in the middle isn't an hour glass with gears, it's a scale, and it shows that urbanization is in check and there is a balance between it and nature. That's how I like to think of it.

Umbrella woman It doesn't look like she's living in much of a dystopia.. just throw some trees and colors into that city and it'd look beautiful, actually. For the longest while when we were stuck with the smaller resolution of the album, I thought the place she was living in looked cool, honestly.

Below is how you present a dystopia:

MegadethDystopia.png

• Like 1

Favorite songs per year -- 2010s

2010 Here We Are Juggernaut (Coheed and Cambria)

2011 Give Up The Ghost (Radiohead)

2012 Empty Vessels Make The Loudest Sound (The Mars Volta)

2013 Nobody Wins When Nobody Plays (Ty Tabor)

2014 Nose Grows Some (Thom Yorke)

2015 In My Line of Work (Stratovarius)

2016 Stain on the Sun (The Jelly Jam)

Also IMO Coheed's best music video. Coheed's PVs for the most part either downright suck (A Favor House Atlantic) or I just feel indifferent to (pretty much every other PV of theirs) but Here We Are Juggernaut is just awesome (both the video and the song).

I think Sonata Arctica have cracked my all time favourite band list...in the top five...

Which makes my top five (excluding Springsteen as it's too obvious) three quarters Finnish!

Favorite songs per year -- 2010s

2011 Give Up The Ghost (Radiohead)

2012 Empty Vessels Make The Loudest Sound (The Mars Volta)

2013 Nobody Wins When Nobody Plays (Ty Tabor)

2014 Nose Grows Some (Thom Yorke)

2015 In My Line of Work (Stratovarius)

2016 Stain on the Sun (The Jelly Jam)

I will try this!

Also IMO Coheed's best music video. Coheed's PVs for the most part either downright suck (A Favor House Atlantic) or I just feel indifferent to (pretty much every other PV of theirs) but Here We Are Juggernaut is just awesome (both the video and the song).

That's my favorite Coheed music video as well.

The first music video (oct '15) they did for Island was pretty good. It's now been removed and replaced with a second Island music video (mar '16). This one is an ad for superman vs batman... It's basically just the worst music video they've done, it's so lacking in substance and quality that I hardly even consider it a music video. It has nothing to do with the song whatsoever, it's just a guy in a batman suit wandering around New York, then he runs into someone dressed as Superman and then instead of fighting they kiss... What a gay twist!!

We don't even get to see a single shot of the band in the video either.

The first video was purely of the band, and the "story" half of the video showed Claudio in a subway. This is relevant to the album's inspiration, these songs were written from an apartment in New York (I don't know if he got any noise complaints while singing away with his acoustic guitar, but he did say he felt uncomfortable knowing people could hear him through the wall).. The album basically reflects Claudio's transition point from man to father, and how despite being a New Yorker all his life, he can't stand to be in the place when there's a country house more fit for his family.

The original music video is still on Vimeo

• Like 1

That's my favorite Coheed music video as well.

The first music video (oct '15) they did for Island was pretty good. It's now been removed and replaced with a second Island music video (mar '16). This one is an ad for superman vs batman... It's basically just the worst music video they've done, it's so lacking in substance and quality that I hardly even consider it a music video. It has nothing to do with the song whatsoever, it's just a guy in a batman suit wandering around New York, then he runs into someone dressed as Superman and then instead of fighting they kiss... What a gay twist!!

We don't even get to see a single shot of the band in the video either.

The first video was purely of the band, and the "story" half of the video showed Claudio in a subway. This is relevant to the album's inspiration, these songs were written from an apartment in New York (I don't know if he got any noise complaints while singing away with his acoustic guitar, but he did say he felt uncomfortable knowing people could hear him through the wall).. The album basically reflects Claudio's transition point from man to father, and how despite being a New Yorker all his life, he can't stand to be in the place when there's a country house more fit for his family.

The original music video is still on Vimeo

I watched both versions just now...the first one was pretty good albeit Claudio looking goofy with questionably horrific looking "reverse moustache" he's got going. The second one was just downright HORRIFYING. Superman x Batman MEGALOLZ.

I listened to The Color Before The Sun this morning and I did get a sense of it being Coheed's "man to fatherhood" album (not just Claudio, I know Travis also has a family of his own). I get where Claudio's coming from with can't standing to live in NYC anymore and moving up in the countryside/upstate NY. Not to sound jaded, I can't stand being in the busier/tourist ridden areas of NYC unless I'm there for "work" reasons or going to shows (for better or for worse the shows I go to now

have increasingly been more in Brooklyn and Queens than tourist riddden Manhattan).

• Like 1

For anybvody's interest.

I have spent so much time On Coheed And Cambria.

so here are my rankings

1. In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth

2. No World For Tomorrow

3. Year of the Black Rainbow

4. The Afterman:Ascension

5. Second Stage Turbine Blade

6. The Color Before the sun

7. Good apollo (I know i know........this seems to be a fav.......but while it has great stuff. it's way to over long for me)

8. The Afterman: Descension

Mick

• Like 1

For anybvody's interest.

so here are my rankings

2. No World For Tomorrow

7. Good apollo (I know i know........this seems to be a fav.......but while it has great stuff. it's way to over long for me)

Mick

8. No World For Tomorrow

7. The Afterman: Ascension

6. The Afterman: Descension

5. The Color Before the Sun

4. Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV

3. Second Stage Turbine Blade

2. In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3

1. Year of the Black Rainbow

• Like 1

For anybvody's interest.

so here are my rankings

2. No World For Tomorrow

Mick

8. No World For Tomorrow

it's amazing where we both put No World for Tomorrow, lol.

that's what makes music interesting, lol

Mick

No World For Tomorrow was the second "new" Coheed album I was a fan to hear during release... It was a huge disappointment after I'm Burning Star IV, and over time it's not really been much better. It really represents the end of their older style, I think. A lot of the songs are sort of run-of-the-mill Coheed, but poor.

The songs from the album I enjoy are:

The Hound

^ Really great tune

The Running Free

^ A nice single, but not exceptional.

Mother Superior

^ Masterpiece -- best song of the album

Gravemakers & Gunslingers

^ One of the most exciting Coheed songs, and the bass during the verses just endlessly knocks my socks off.

And then there's The Endless Chapter series.. It has it's moments, but overall part II is the best, and III is good.

I is too short and too repetitive to even matter, and though it sets an epic tone it's not all that impressive otherwise

IV is usually a 'skip' for me, it's okay...

V is also just okay and usually a 'skip'. Coheed does a good job at doing Pink Floyd, that's for sure, but what the hell is the point of that bridge? Let's stick with The Final Cut :)

All the other songs I didn't list -- you can assume those range from bad to okay in my mind.

For anybvody's interest.

so here are my rankings

2. No World For Tomorrow

Mick

8. No World For Tomorrow

it's amazing where we both put No World for Tomorrow, lol.

that's what makes music interesting, lol

Mick

Otherwise, we have 2/3 of our "top 3" coheed albums in common.

• Like 1

I really need to get back into Coheed.

I definitely love them still (even if I haven't played an album in about six years).

I see I have a lot to catch up with!

I definitely love them still (even if I haven't played an album in about six years).

out of Curiosity....what was the last album you heard by them?

Mick

Mick

No idea...actually haha

I would need to look at their discography and work out which was the then latest release.

I overindulged in this band...and it got a bit much

Not that that's the bad thing...I adored this band and I still think I'd rate them highly if in return I them.

• Like 1

It's almost been a month since you first said you need to revisit them... Chip chop!! ;)

• Like 1

Mick

No idea...actually haha

I would need to look at their discography and work out which was the then latest release.

Not that that's the bad thing...I adored this band and I still think I'd rate them highly if in return I them.

i'm in the honeymoon phase so........i'll be here a while, lol

i LOVE this period of band discovery.......you can love them without being to critical just yet, lol

Mick

Mick

No idea...actually haha

i'm in the honeymoon phase so........i'll be here a while, lol

i LOVE this period of band discovery.......you can love them without being to critical just yet, lol

Mick

Like me and Sonata Arctica!

only now am I getting a bit more critical...and I'm happy to report 8/9 studio albums still blow me away.

Sadly the latest is...not impressing in the long run (even if I do enjoy it from start to finish).

• Like 1

It's almost been a month since you first said you need to revisit them... Chip chop!! ;)

Blame Sonata Arctica hahaha

• Like 1

No World For Tomorrow was the second "new" Coheed album I was a fan to hear during release... It was a huge disappointment after I'm Burning Star IV, and over time it's not really been much better. It really represents the end of their older style, I think. A lot of the songs are sort of run-of-the-mill Coheed, but poor.

The songs from the album I enjoy are:

The Hound

^ Really great tune

The Running Free

^ A nice single, but not exceptional.

Mother Superior

^ Masterpiece -- best song of the album

Gravemakers & Gunslingers

^ One of the most exciting Coheed songs, and the bass during the verses just endlessly knocks my socks off.

And then there's The Endless Chapter series.. It has it's moments, but overall part II is the best, and III is good.

I is too short and too repetitive to even matter, and though it sets an epic tone it's not all that impressive otherwise

IV is usually a 'skip' for me, it's okay...

V is also just okay and usually a 'skip'. Coheed does a good job at doing Pink Floyd, that's for sure, but what the hell is the point of that bridge? Let's stick with The Final Cut :)

All the other songs I didn't list -- you can assume those range from bad to okay in my mind.

No World For Tomorrow remains the only Coheed album that I haven't listened to yet. I think album art is downright comical (and not in a good way either!) I think the only song I've listened to from the title track. :LOL:

Also, and this might push a few buttons but I honestly think Chris Pennie's time in Coheed was dead on arrival. And this assertion has nothing to do with his skills as a drummer cause he's a fantastic drummer nor who he is as a person (according to his ex-bandmate Ben Weinman of The Dillinger Escape Plan prior to joining Coheed, Chris was known to mock Claudio's voice and the band numerous times when Coheed's music was playing in the Dillinger tour bus saying that "They f**king suck"), but he got into legal trouble w/his former label Relapse Records for breaching contract for going off and lending his talent to other bands without giving them the OK to do so and as a result never even drummed on No World For Tomorrow (though he wrote all the drum parts) and then when he finally did drum on record for Year Of The Black Rainbow he left the following year which was bummer cause I wonder what would've happened musically he never left and it was only Mic Todd who left the band.

Edited by PolarizeMe