The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

Fairytale is.. Bad. The lyrics lack any sort of subtlety and are especially lacking by Tony's standards. The song is half-way energetic, and it's simultaneously dark and goofy in tone. That sounds like it might be accomplishment, but it's not, those two elements don't mix, it's like putting spicy chili into your ice cream sundae.

The vocal melodies are asspulls, anyone could think them up just f***ing around. It doesn't sound good, Tony's singing in this is flat out annoying. Tony has done absurd clownish singing in the past (see: Champagne Bath, Cinderblox) but the melodies in those songs are well fleshed, thought out, actually enjoyable, discernible, and there's a sense of beauty to them.

The only part of Fairytale that I like is Henkka's keyboard solo (the one that occurs after Elias's solo, not the intro keyboard solo). 1/5, bad f***ing song. Second worst on the album to We Are What We Are. Those two songs are scourges, the first two Sonata songs that I actually can say I hate.

I absolutely adore We Are What We Are!

Fairytale is growing on me. It's a 3/5, second least favourite after Closure To An Animal (just sounds wrong, especially as Closer To An Animal is so good...and it ends the album in a really flat out boring way).

This song kicks ass

I like the vocal harmonizing they do, when I was listening to the studio version of this song I thought it was all just the lead vocalist using overdubs... Turns out there's the lead vocalist, two backing vocalists (one who's of a higher priority), and a screamer. Nice.

So I plan to buy the Japanese edition of The Ninth Hour.

Honestly I cancelled my order of the digipak. I don't want a cover, I'd rather have another original SA song.

Honestly I cancelled my order of the digipak. I don't want a cover, I'd rather have another original SA song.

Good call. The bonus track isn't bad, and Japanese packaging is always really cool.

I'm not a huge fan of their covers, but they did good with "I Can't Dance"

Good call. The bonus track isn't bad, and Japanese packaging is always really cool.

I'm not a huge fan of their covers, but they did good with "I Can't Dance"

I find I like the covers just once...and then never again. Aside from the covers that surrounded the releases of Reckoning Night and Unia.

But yeah, I'm very fond of this new album and another track from them would suit me better than a cover I will skip.

Especially considering that I skip Closure To An Animal anyway. Arg I still don't like that song.

It looks like Mick's been active lately, but not posting

Here, I'll try phoning him in: :blah:

After discovering Jari's remastering for The Ninth Hour project a couple weeks ago, I've been playing around with Radiohead's Kid A in audacity. It started with just How To Disappear Completely - I wanted the track to have a fuller more ambient sound and have it simulate the feeling of being cuddled by a huge blanket... But last week I decided I'd start remixing the entire album. It's a lot of fun, and I'm learning a lot along the way.

Both yesterday and today I listened to Second Stage Turbine Blade in full.

It's been a long while since I last had, I've mainly been listening to Year of the Black Rainbow and The Color Before The Sun when listening to Coheed.

Second Stage Turbine Blade isn't my absolute favorite Coheed album, but high it's high ranking. I'm always pleasantly surprised when revisiting it after a rest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHblsR0gXoc

After discovering Jari's remastering for The Ninth Hour project a couple weeks ago, I've been playing around with Radiohead's Kid A in audacity. It started with just How To Disappear Completely - I wanted the track to have a fuller more ambient sound and have it simulate the feeling of being cuddled by a huge blanket... But last week I decided I'd start remixing the entire album. It's a lot of fun, and I'm learning a lot along the way.

Unless, it's being remastered and reissued sometime soon, I should attempt my own remix/remaster of In The Absence Of Truth. Give it that "more lively mix" that Aaron Turner wished the album had in hindsight. Or remix/remaster Live In Finland with its watery guitar tone courtesy of Elias and/or his live rig.

And yeah...The Ninth Hour fell through the cracks for me as far as likability goes just as fast as my initial liking towards the album. Sadly the same goes for the new Meshuggah record for me and that was also an album I said I liked based on first listen alone as well. I don't even want to discuss my thoughts on that album further apart from I personally feel that it suffers from the same problems as The Ninth Hour. Ironically, both bands/albums are on the same label: Nuclear Blast.

Unless, it's being remastered and reissued sometime soon, I should attempt my own remix/remaster of In The Absence Of Truth. Give it that "more lively mix" that Aaron Turner wished the album had in hindsight. Or remix/remaster Live In Finland with its watery guitar tone courtesy of Elias and/or his live rig.

Wouldn't bother with LiF (personally). Go with ISIS (the band)

I think that Elais intentionally makes his guitar indecipherable live. It sounds terrible and near non-existent in the Lowlands 2009 and Wacken 2008 performances as well.. I don't think this is coincidence

By Wacken 2013, we can hear Elias well. I think he was waiting until he was comfortable with playing the harder Sonata songs (AKA Jani's)

Edited by Mr. Not

The Neverender concert series was a real treat for lots of reasons.They played every song of their discography at the time, they had a surprise appearance of Warren Haynes, backing female vocalists, second percussionist, and they had a keyboardist who not only played the synth parts and complimented non-synth songs - but played beautiful segues between certain songs.

A less obvious reason why Neverender is awesome is because Claudio did scream vocals - which he really can't afford to do for the sake of the preservation of his voice (or hell, even his health), but he did it for the DVD and it's good that he did, because it rocks

https://youtu.be/rJjRGUJuUJY?t=2m40s

It's fair to assume that Mic Todd did the screaming whenever else they played this song (or after a certain point when Claudio decided it was too much), and Mic's screams... Well.. I won't tell you what to think of them ;)

Hey everyone...I´m on a Voivod kick since yesterday. What an amazing band! I think they lost momentum after a few lineup changes in the mid 2000´s, but should have been much bigger than they are. The first thrash prog band ever. I highly recommend the albums The Outer Limits, Nothingface and Dimension Hätross.
  • Like 1

I've played them before! Never a full album.

I will check them outA

• Like 1

The Neverender concert series was a real treat for lots of reasons.They played every song of their discography at the time, they had a surprise appearance of Warren Haynes, backing female vocalists, second percussionist, and they had a keyboardist who not only played the synth parts and complimented non-synth songs - but played beautiful segues between certain songs.

A less obvious reason why Neverender is awesome is because Claudio did scream vocals - which he really can't afford to do for the sake of the preservation of his voice (or hell, even his health), but he did it for the DVD and it's good that he did, because it rocks

https://youtu.be/rJjRGUJuUJY?t=2m40s

It's fair to assume that Mic Todd did the screaming whenever else they played this song (or after a certain point when Claudio decided it was too much), and Mic's screams... Well.. I won't tell you what to think of them ;)

Neverender, filmed at the infamous Terminal 5 in NYC. Infamous for being one of the worst venues in NYC ever for reasons I won't go into.

Ironically, this show and its audio production is hilariously good. "Hilariously" because I mentioned it is the worst venue in NYC and it shouldn't sound this good.

So...The Elephant was a nothing song for me. I didn't like it...meanwhile I really enjoyed the Bryan Adams cover as I felt it ended the album better than Closure.

I now don't mind Closure, even if I think it is the weakest album track the band has ever released. Although I feel it barely counts as it feels so tacked on...

All in all, I love The Ninth Hour. It's definitely a top three album for me.

I still have the new Jimmy Eat World album to come, and the latest Thrice and Tremonti continue to hold my attention.

Alter Bridge have released a great album, but it is the first album of theirs which I haven't felt addicted too. Not sure it has much staying power.

Also...I need to check out Coheed And Cambria again. They were a big deal to me back in the mid-2000's.

One of my favorites from ELO:

http://youtu.be/_sLlDuvNPeA

Just a lonely girl who could not face a broken world,

And so she acts out all her dreams and wishes that's how it had been

But when the audience is near, it seems as though she doesn't even care.

Nellie just sent me a line to tell me she was doing fine

She got the lead and on Broadway, and now they're digging her today

And as she turns the final page,

Living someone's life upon the stage

Edited by Mr. Not

I'm reviving this cause i don't wanna clog up the albums thread.

The new jimmy album i'm finding picks a ton in the 2nd half......not that the first was bad. just songs that kinda floated by. yhough it Matters was beautiful.

but.

Get it Right

You are Free

The End is Beautiful (My fav)

Through

All Some of their best.

i give it a SOLID 8/10

Mick

The new jimmy album i'm finding picks a ton in the 2nd half......not that the first was bad. just songs that kinda floated by. yhough it Matters was beautiful.

but.

Get it Right

You are Free

Through

All Some of their best.

i give it a SOLID 8/10

Mick

It does! They tend to always end strongly...which Damage did not.

I feel this is great. If this wan any other band of this style it would likely be the bands best or near best...it's not this albums fault it comes from the band that raised the bar stupidly high!

I think this is the most honest and beautifully written set of songs I have heard all year. I also just heard it for the first time today. I've been so busy I forgot to pick it up Friday.

I am glad you enjoy it. I knew you'd agree it was better than Damage!

I wasn't sure what too expect. But Jimmy always give their best. Not saying the best album ever every time...just they are not half hearted. So they were more inspired after this long break.

Also...Thrice remain high on my list.

I find it odd that the last three years my favourite albums are from the exact same bands I adored ten years ago.

Saddened I find so little in newer stuff...I just don't have the time anymore (I work about 40 hours a week...plus travel).

• Like 1

but.

Get it Right

You are Free

Through

All Some of their best.

i give it a SOLID 8/10

Mick

I feel this is great. If this wan any other band of this style it would likely be the bands best or near best...it's not this albums fault it comes from the band that raised the bar stupidly high!

I think this is the most honest and beautifully written set of songs I have heard all year. I also just heard it for the first time today. I've been so busy I forgot to pick it up Friday.

I wasn't sure what too expect. But Jimmy always give their best. Not saying the best album ever every time...just they are not half hearted. So they were more inspired after this long break.

I find it odd that the last three years my favourite albums are from the exact same bands I adored ten years ago.

Saddened I find so little in newer stuff...I just don't have the time anymore (I work about 40 hours a week...plus travel).

this was a great album it gives me Everything i love about this band.........just with an added layer of warmth with this production job.

i've only played it twice so my thoughts are still forming but this is a wonderful bounce back after a minor stumble.

now........if only Dream theater does this i'll be happy, lol

If anyone needs a strong bounce back they do.

Mick

but.

Get it Right

You are Free

Through

All Some of their best.

i give it a SOLID 8/10

Mick

this was a great album it gives me Everything i love about this band.........just with an added layer of warmth with this production job.

i've only played it twice so my thoughts are still forming but this is a wonderful bounce back after a minor stumble.

Mick

I am sure they will! Im settled in my hate for ONE DT album. I'D be a fool to believe I'm always going to love everything a band I dire releases...

I do dread the day a Nightwish album disappoints me...

I need more listens as well.

• Like 1

but.

Get it Right

You are Free

Through

All Some of their best.

i give it a SOLID 8/10

Mick

Mick

I am sure they will! Im settled in my hate for ONE DT album. I'D be a fool to believe I'm always going to love everything a band I dire releases...

I do dread the day a Nightwish album disappoints me...

I need more listens as well.

i don't know if i told you but i'm thrilled with how you've clicked with DT.

i always knew you would but oh the wait was agonizing, lol

seeing you on them flip flop was torture this time around, lol

Mick