The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

I still don't care what you think, Love remains a very top favourite song for me

Good, wouldn't want it any other way. If you love 'love' then I don't want to change your mind :D

Yay! Honestly it was that song that made me realise I could commit to this band...I played the video and adored it and decided to check out their work beyond Reckoning Night fully.

So glad this happened!

What Did You Do In The War, Dad? Is gorgeous as well!

Tony said shortly after writing that one he thought it was the saddest song he wrote. This is probably because of how big of a deal war is in Finland, all male citizens are practically required to serve for a couple years.

I like it, not my favorite from PH but it's good. It sounds like an old b-side from Ecliptica that never got released.

Edited by Mr. Not
  • Like 1

Tony said shortly after writing that one he thought it was the saddest song he wrote. This is probably because of how big of a deal war is in Finland, all male citizens are practically required to serve for a couple years.

I like it, not my favorite from PH but it's good. It sounds like an old b-side from Ecliptica that never got released.

Yeah it's not my fave either...Half Of A Marathon Man is a favourite though!

That one's damn good, it's Sonata does Deep Purple :D Henkka and especially Elias are big fans.

• Like 1

That one's damn good, it's Sonata does Deep Purple :D Henkka and especially Elias are big fans.

I hear it!

Larger Than Life is the best song on the album.

Closer To An Animal is such a masterpiece of a song... I'll admit, for the longest time I was a Sonata fan who thought of less of every song of theirs if there was no guitar/keyboard solo... This was mainly due to how high Jani and Mikko set the solo bar during the silence album... But today the solo section means slightly less to me... And when a song is so perfect as it is, as is the case with "Closer To An Animal", I don't even care.

"There's no solo? Oh.. I guess there isn't... Was too busy immersed in this masterpiece to notice, I guess."

Closer To An Animal is such a masterpiece of a song... I'll admit, for the longest time I was a Sonata fan who thought of less of every song of theirs if there was no guitar/keyboard solo... This was mainly due to how high Jani and Mikko set the solo bar during the silence album... But today the solo section means slightly less to me... And when a song is so perfect as it is, as is the case with "Closer To An Animal", I don't even care.

"There's no solo? Oh.. I guess there isn't... Was too busy immersed in this masterpiece to notice, I guess."

It's an amazing song. It helped get me back into them!

And this time I fell for them unexpectedly hard.

I'm also now really in love with the last two albums. Every song on both...even the crazy ones.

And the wildfire sequels are gorgeous.

• Like 1

Affinity Really Grew on me. it used to be my least fav Haken album. it climbed fast.

love the total 80's vibe i get from it.

Mick

It's still my second least favorite album.. It still has some room to grow on me, but The Mountain and Aquarius are too strong to be beat, I think.

• Like 1

BTW Mr Not, who exactly are Almah?

It started off as a solo project of Edu, a long time lead singer of the Brazilian prog/power metal band "Angra".

After leaving Angra, they released the second album which was then less of a solo Edu album and more of a new band of its own.... And the guitarists were insane and out of control! Almah is more power/thrash/prog metal.

My favorite song of EVO isn't on youtube yet, but here's another good one that is:

i've done a musical 180 i've entered a singer/sonwriter phase

1. Joni Mitchell

2. Leonard Cohen

3. Dylan

4. Springsteen (as bombastic as he can be.....at his core he still falls in this group for me.

And more music like this......I've mellowed for now.

Mick

• Like 2

Segue, did you ever start a thread for Bruce? If so, can you give me a link, I can't find it.

I have been watching his videos from his recent tour and I have a question or two.

EDIT: Never mind. Found it!

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

It's out!

I saw it!

Didn't do much for me but I'm gonna watch it again.

I've not really liked any of their videos aside from Love

Edited by Segue Myles

I saw it!

I'm going to watch it later on a big HD TV :LOL: -- yeah, saving it for a big premiere..

Between the teaser video and on-set shots on Sonata instagram accs, I already know I'll love the band half of the music video.

That's how it usually goes for me and Sonata music videos.. My favorites are Don't Say a Word and especially Paid in Full, and this is largely because it's just of the band.

The Wolves Die Young music video's story half is cringe worthy.

It's out!

I saw it!

Neither have I, but the songs still really good and that's what matter to me! :)

Oh don't get me wrong I loved this song from the start!

I saw it!

I'm going to watch it later on a big HD TV :LOL: -- yeah, saving it for a big premiere..

Between the teaser video and on-set shots on Sonata instagram accs, I already know I'll love the band half of the music video.

That's how it usually goes for me and Sonata music videos.. My favorites are Don't Say a Word and especially Paid in Full, and this is largely because it's just of the band.

The Wolves Die Young music video's story half is cringe worthy.

The Wolves Die Young video is atrocious.

OK I really enjoyed the video second time around.

I think The Ninth Hour is going to be a much stronger album than the last two!