The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

Some fun facts about Sonata real quick, the first of which is relevant to the recent discussion about 'metal':

-Though they've never been classified as rock rather than metal, Tony and Henrik have gone on record a few times saying they think of themselves as a rock band before they do a metal one

-Henrik says that if he could open for a band, he'd like it to be Rush, and one of his biggest inspirations of all-time is Frank Zappa

-When asked what Henrik brought to the band upon joining, he enthusiastically answered "ORGANS!!" -- and it's true. Listen to Ecliptica, Silence, or Winterheart's Guild and there's no trace of organs... Reckoning Night however? Organs galore.

Some fun facts about Sonata real quick, the first of which is relevant to the recent discussion about 'metal':

-Though they've never been classified as rock rather than metal, Tony and Henrik have gone on record a few times saying they think of themselves as a rock band before they do a metal one

-Henrik says that if he could open for a band, he'd like it to be Rush, and one of his biggest inspirations of all-time is Frank Zappa

-When asked what Henrik brought to the band upon joining, he enthusiastically answered "ORGANS!!" -- and it's true. Listen to Ecliptica, Silence, or Winterheart's Guild and there's no trace of organs... Reckoning Night however? Organs galore.

Well you've given me a reason to be thankful Zappa exists haha!

• Like 1

To be honest I can totally hear it with the variety of keyboard sounds Henkka uses..

And I'm half-way confident that this little marimba/steel-drum sounding keyboard bit is directly Zappa inspired

Zeroes is such a kick-ass song, among my top favorite three of TDoG.. Great message too, all those governing war causing superheroes fall short without all those (1)000,000,000,000's

• Like 1

To be honest I can totally hear it with the variety of keyboard sounds Henkka uses..

And I'm half-way confident that this little marimba/steel-drum sounding keyboard bit is directly Zappa inspired

Zeroes is such a kick-ass song, among my top favorite three of TDoG.. Great message too, all those governing war causing superheroes fall short without all those (1)000,000,000,000's

Zeroes is one of my top five SA songs atm!

It Won't Fade is also another song that's recently blown me away. Unia is getting better and better and I LOVED it from the first listen.

i tried Iron Maidan late last night.

i wanted to punch a wall, lol

...I don't get it, where's the problem here?

That's pretty metal!! :haz: :fury:

Exactly what I was thinking.

Guys you miss his point...he isn't in the mood for metal so he's taking a break lol!

It Won't Fade is also another song that's recently blown me away. Unia is getting better and better and I LOVED it from the first listen.

It Wont Fade is a long time favorite of mine from Unia - it's the wolf song of the album :)

Let me just saw that Unia is one of those albums that truly gets better with each listen.. I love it more than ever now, years after initially hearing it... Seriously, what an album... I'm glad Tony spilled his morbid heart out in this album, the result is truly intriguing :D

• Like 1

i tried Iron Maidan late last night.

i wanted to punch a wall, lol

...I don't get it, where's the problem here?

That's pretty metal!! :haz: :fury:

Exactly what I was thinking.

Guys you miss his point...he isn't in the mood for metal so he's taking a break lol!

We get his point - we're just dicking around is all :P

• Like 2

It Wont Fade is a long time favorite of mine from Unia - it's the wolf song of the album :)

Let me just saw that Unia is one of those albums that truly gets better with each listen.. I love it more than ever now, years after initially hearing it... Seriously, what an album... I'm glad Tony spilled his morbid heart out in this album, the result is truly intriguing :D

Unia may be their best album.

But I honestly feel I could say this about four of their albums!

I adore Days Of Grays still but I can't deny Unia has taken over my interest!

I'm sad to be honest it's taken me over a decade to get into this band. They really would have enriched my growing up!

My ex fiance is the spitting image of Kate Bush. I get angry looking at her
  • Like 1

Segue, I'm extremely happy you're into Sonata, and for entirely selfish reasons :LOL:

I like being able to discuss the band on a musical level (the fangirl I used to discuss them with would focus too much on how much she loved Tony, and while I don't blame her, I'm more interested in music), and you've given birth to a new appreciation to this band for me. It's like I'm back in 2009!! I'm very excited for the Ninth album Hour

:cheers:

Edited by Mr. Not
  • Like 1

Segue, I'm extremely happy you're into Sonata, and for entirely selfish reasons :LOL:

I like being able to discuss the band on a musical level (the fangirl I used to discuss them with would focus too much on how much she loved Tony, and while I don't blame her, I'm more interested in music), and you've given birth to a new appreciation to this band for me. It's like I'm back in 2009!! I'm very excited for the Ninth album Hour

:cheers:

Oh I'm glad! I remember last year when I decided to try them again out of the blue (I had Don't Say A Word in my head, which I hadn't heard since like 2006), a few were like "who is this?". You must have been the one to help me out! I forget but now I'm buying there stuff and properly dedicated it's been great sharing the experience fully!

I just adore them. They've become dear to me in a very fast way...the love I have for them at the moment is what I felt for Nightwish last year (and still do now).

The last two albums haven't been the greatest...they are still great. I am so in love with this band it is ridiculous!

I have really enjoyed discussing them as well.

• Like 1

Jimmy eat World.......this band hits me in the gut.

the lyrics.......the melodies.

I was listening to Bleed American.......what stunning Record.

Mick

They were kicked off their label after Clarity flopped. They wanted a hit record. They wrote Bleed American. Then shopped for a new label. Got picked up by Dreamworks.

Killer album...they sacrificed not an ounce of integrity and made one of the greatest pop rock albums in history.

• Like 1

Looks like i killed this thread too.

I could make a fortune doing this on internet fora.

Worse ways to make money haha!

Where is Mock?

• Like 1

Where is Mock?

It says he's here, but the cat has his tongue I think.

Either that, or he's wondering where he can go on this forum to get away from me.

Where is Mock?

It says he's here, but the cat has his tongue I think.

Either that, or he's wondering where he can go on this forum to get away from me.

He must have a crush...he a shy boo