The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

Hey Mick and Segue, I've been really into a local (Quebecoise) jazz singer called Charlotte Cardin. I'm seeing her at the Montreal Jazz Festival this week; you might like her music.

I noticed you've been into a lot of metal this year so this is different I guess!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO3gvswtLXI

Edited by Day of Light
  • Like 1

Hey Mick and Segue, I've been really into a local (Quebecoise) jazz singer called Charlotte Cardin. I'm seeing her at the Montreal Jazz Festival this week; you might like her music.

I noticed you've been into a lot of metal this year so this is different I guess!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO3gvswtLXI

That was beautiful! Exactly what I could do with right now! I'm looking her up.

The reason I'm playing so much metal is that most of my leisure time is spent reading epic fantasy, and metal for some reason soundtracks much of it really well.

But I still love jazz, trip hop and rnb! Always eager for more!

• Like 1

I'm placeing this here. first single from this new album. i think i like it more than anything form TLH.

that was the other thing. i never like the subject mater of TLH. i try to dodge politics. and TLH was kinda steeped in that. this doesn't have that....so plus there.

it's a good hook. but as with a lot of singles i think this could be the weakest song. mix is still cluttered a bit. but a good start.

Mick

I'm placeing this here. first single from this new album. i think i like it more than anything form TLH.

that was the other thing. i never like the subject mater of TLH. i try to dodge politics. and TLH was kinda steeped in that. this doesn't have that....so plus there.

it's a good hook. but as with a lot of singles i think this could be the weakest song. mix is still cluttered a bit. but a good start.

Mick

Lol...I think it's ok. Not better than anything on the last album, but it's fine. I'm excited for the album, but this single has proven to be a miss for me. After the first day, I've got bored of it.

• Like 1

Mick

Lol...I think it's ok. Not better than anything on the last album, but it's fine. I'm excited for the album, but this single has proven to be a miss for me. After the first day, I've got bored of it.

Yeah, I listened to it a couple times and thought it was a decent lead single but have no desire to hear it again until the album comes out. The exact opposite of Isolation for me. Couldn't get enough of that song before AB III came out.

Mick

Yeah, I listened to it a couple times and thought it was a decent lead single but have no desire to hear it again until the album comes out. The exact opposite of Isolation for me. Couldn't get enough of that song before AB III came out.

I became a fan after ABIII came out, bit I was PUMPED when Addicted To Pain came out. I liked Show Me A Leader, although I think they made a mistake using a radio edit for the video rather than the full intro.

But...I would not be surprised if the new album blows me away, so this single doesn't disappoint me, because it's a predictable song. But it's definitely not a better song than any of their prior lead singles. Very forgettable chorus, nothing stays in my mind.

Yes great playing, but that's not the same as impressive arrangements. It's just a fine song. My reaction too it is similar to Mick's with The Last Hero: not awful, but...meh.

Singles rarly blow me away......if at all, lol. so i'm not jumping the gun here at all.

still looking forward to this.

Mick

Exactly, hence why I'm not disappointed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAz1vYAwVKE

Mick

Boooooooooring....
  • Like 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAz1vYAwVKE

Mick

Boooooooooring....

Not for everyone. Is this what you feel towards all you have heard from this band?

• Like 1

EP made the mistake of purchasing Karmacode as his first Lacuna Coil album. Hopefully it doesn't turn him off right away lol.

lol, thanks for ratting me out. Why don't I play it now just to see?

I really don't mind people disliking my all time favourite album.
  • Like 1

That's a good attitude!

So far this is no more "nu-metal" than early Linkin Park, and I enjoy early Linkin Park.

Oh and having just reached the second track, I must say I immediately prefer the girl's voice to the guy's. She doesn't wait to make a good impression.

That's a good attitude!

So far this is no more "nu-metal" than early Linkin Park, and I enjoy early Linkin Park.

Oh and having just reached the second track, I must say I immediately prefer the girl's voice to the guy's. She doesn't wait to make a good impression.

The nu metal sound is only really down to the bass guitars, which I really love on this album. Aside from Linkin Park, this is the only album I love affiliated with that genre. And it has all the beauty of their European metal roots with their global influences in there as well. You can still hear the love for Paradise Lost and Depeche Mode in the mix (synths galore). I've never felt like the nu metal influence took away from the rest on offer.

Cristina Scabbia is my all time favourite singer.

Interesting I also bring up Paradise Lost. They are one of the founding fathers of Gothic metal, and like Lacuna Coil, they went through a very commercial, almost pop phase which was really creative and very beautiful, but many metal fans hate.

I've had many chats with fans of both bands that feel that Lacuna Coil and Paradise Lost have had similar career arcs. Both bands came back around to their original style, without ever sounding the same as before.

Lacuna Coil have a lot more light to their sound, and they have a strong, sensual and warm sound even at their most melancholy.

When I say Karmacode is my favourite LC album, I actually feel that Unleashed Memories and Comalies are stronger. Don't make the mistake of thinking that I think Karmacode is a better album than, say, Moving Pictures or Born To Run.

But LC are MY band. They bring me joy, and have soundtracked my life since I was 15 (nearly 15 years ago). I've stayed with them through the ups and downs. They have a tendency to never write the music the fans ask for, so every new album always seems to upset and impress in equal measure (with the exception of Shallow Life...I love the album but won't defend it. It's definitely a bizarre choice they chose with that one...).

Also everything I love about Karmacode is present to perhaps superior standards on Broken Crown Halo. That's a stunning LC album, and I think it's the perfect encapsulation of everything they had done up to that point. But...I find Karmacode melodically and emotionally richer.

Also you're not keen on Andrea Ferro's male vocals. I have always loved their dual vocal harmonies, duets...I could not have fallen for this band as hard as I did without him. My first LC song was Angels Punishment, and I had no idea what the band looked like or sounded like. Cristina has spoken word verses, Andi roars, Cristina soars in the chorus...love that song.

All I can say is, see what you think of LC. Karmacode is not really representative of their entire catalogue. In fact, they never repeat themselves (although I'd argue Dark Adrenaline is just a superior, more metal, retread of Shallow Life). I did so with Queen after all!

• Like 1

Lacuna Coil has had far more ups than downs. But the couple of downs were really bad.

I can only think of Shallow Life, and I enjoyed that. I was super nervous about where they were going but they thankfully gave that style up (but I'd say DA only bettered SL, it didn't better anything else that came before).

Lacuna Coil has had far more ups than downs. But the couple of downs were really bad.

yea in my recent mini-run. they really did hit an awful slump. their own fault BTW. in the one interview i saw with Cristina she essentially put Shallow life's suckage on the fans.

...............THANKS????

lol.

Mick