Do you guys think Geddy would have been a solo artist today if Neil never came back?

YYZumbi

Do you guys think Geddy would have been a solo artist today if Neil never would have come back after what happened with his family? Or do you think they all would just quit? Maybe Alex and Geddy would continue together with a another drummer?

What you think?

Geddy could've definitely continued on in grand fashion as a solo artist. Both he and Alex would've found many outlets to create music post Test for Echo.

Rush would've ended even if they made more music together.

I don't they would have continued with a different drummer, no.

I do think Geddy would have taken up a solo career, and I think he would still be making music all his own today, if Rush had come to an end back then.

I think "My Favorite Headache" proves that Geddy could have made a decent solo career for himself. I'm sure he and Alex would have even collaborated together on an album, but it wouldn't be a "Rush" album. It would have gone under an entirely different name. Edited by ALifeson85

LL Cool Ged and Alex would have played together again, but definitely not under the RUSH moniker.

How about Leefson?

Its got a ring to it.

• Like 3

I agree with the consensus thus far. I doubt Ged or Alex would have recorded or played live as "Rush" without Neil, but I also think they both would have recorded, perhaps as solo artists (both have released solo work, after all), or also perhaps individually as part of other projects. Fortunately, this is all just a bunch of "what could have happened", rather than what did happen!

I don't they would have continued with a different drummer, no.

I do think Geddy would have taken up a solo career, and I think he would still be making music all his own today, if Rush had come to an end back then.

He could play and write the music but wouldn't have to sing...

Good thread, Zumbi. And I wonder why Geddy never toured to promote My Favourite Headache...is it because they soon got that call from Neil to start funcioning as a band once again, or was it never his intention to do so?

There would have been no Rush, but I think Geddy and Alex love to play too much to just have ridden off into the sunset for all that time. Now, whether they would have still joined forces with a different drummer and came up with a different band name OR done their own thing as solo artists we don't know (I tend to think more the latter than the former). I don't see either of them stepping into an already established band as a replacement though.

I don't think it was ever his intention to tour with the album, but it was just something to do while they were waiting to see what Neil was going to do.

Good thread, Zumbi. And I wonder why Geddy never toured to promote My Favourite Headache...is it because they soon got that call from Neil to start funcioning as a band once again, or was it never his intention to do so?

Thanks! :)

This is an interesting thread. I think it's possible Geddy could've pursued a solo career. My Favorite Headache was probably just something he wanted to do to keep himself ooccupied, knowing that Neil would need to take all the time in order to heal.

If Geddy and Alex collaborated on a project, I think it would've been a one-off. But who knows?

Re My Favorite Headache, I don't think Geddy intended to promote it. It's never been incorporated into any of the setlists, and I don't think they ever will.

Whether Rush could continue with another drummer, that's open to debate, but it wouldn't be Rush. Then again, lots of bands have survived multiple lineup changes.

:)

This is an interesting thread. I think it's possible Geddy could've pursued a solo career. My Favorite Headache was probably just something he wanted to do to keep himself ooccupied, knowing that Neil would need to take all the time in order to heal.

If Geddy and Alex collaborated on a project, I think it would've been a one-off. But who knows?

Re My Favorite Headache, I don't think Geddy intended to promote it. It's never been incorporated into any of the setlists, and I don't think they ever will.

Whether Rush could continue with another drummer, that's open to debate, but it wouldn't be Rush. Then again, lots of bands have survived multiple lineup changes.

Yeah, but Rush is not any other band... they are very special, because they are all so close friends. So I don´t think they would continue whitout Neil.

LL Cool Ged and Alex would have played together again, but definitely not under the RUSH moniker.

How about Leefson?

Its got a ring to it.

Or maybe a stoner metal band called Sweet-Leafson..?

Edited by MMCXII

Yeah, but Rush is not any other band... they are very special, because they are all so close friends. So I don´t think they would continue whitout Neil.

And you are absolutely right.

No doubt. No doubt about it. Geddy can and will make more solo stuff once Rush is behind him. Alex...not so sure about that. I think he would do more guest recordings and produce. But who knows.

Neil will be raising his daughter, racing cars and riding his bike. He is already out to pasture IMO. This is a favor to Geddy and Alex this tour. One last hurrah. I am totally convinced of that now. One more big chunk of change for legacy planning.

• Like 1

I swear I remember back when MFH came out that Geddy did an interview on either mtv or vh1...I have it recorded on good o' vhs. I believe he stated he planned to do small shows to play/promote the album. Obviously, that never materialized...

I think after MFH, Geddy would have formed a new band at some point.

Remember, MFH came out in 2000, 15 years ago.

Had the band splintered, I think Alex and Geddy could have formed a new band.

Maybe a supergroup.

You know musicians love Rush, guys would have been drooling over themselves to record with Al and Ged.

It would not be Rush, and may have had some following, but Ged and Al would be in the music industry in some form.

Hopefully not on American Idol

Found the link on youtube...trouble posting it...

Search for "Geddy Lee Rock Show 2000" Interview on VH1 with Cane.

Ged mentions possibly touring on a small scale to promote MFH...it's at very end of 10min. clip.