Worst Sounding Synthesizers on a Rush Album.

toymaker

Power Windows and Hold Your Fire for me. Too tinkly, fun, herky-jerky and distracting.

This topic has been done before, hasn't it.

Worst sounding?

Tai Shan. Those flutes are cringeworthy but I was never a fan of the actual instrument to begin with.

Madrigal (very obnoxious)

On Madrigal, is it the sound of the synthesizer, or the high notes that are played? Both?

• Like 1

Worst sounding?

Tai Shan. Those flutes are cringeworthy but I was never a fan of the actual instrument to begin with.

On Madrigal, is it the sound of the synthesizer, or the high notes that are played? Both?

Both. The sound of the synthesizer makes the high notes sound very irritating.

• Like 1

I'm a fan of the old ANALOG synth's...the Oberneim's, the Prophet's! As the digital stuff came in, the sounds got really thin! heck, I have a Yamaha that I got years back (that's technically a toy) that has some of the same and even some better sounds than some of the keyboards that they were using in the mid-late 80's!

I had access to a Prophet 5 back in the 80's that had some AWESOME sounds on it, that even sounded great on my crappy little Peavey Decade amp

I like the synth sounds on Signals and anything prior! GuP was the start of the digital stuff, that started to sound cruddy!

Edited by Jaminbenb
  • Like 6

I don't think they sound terrible on Power Windows even though it's such a synth-heavy album. I think they sound bad on HYF, that album in general is terrible.
  • Like 4

I personally love the super-synthiness of PoW, and that brings it up in my books. It' snot like they knew at the time that the sounds they were using would become "cheesy 80s synth effects in a few years." At the time, they (Ged) just thought it sounded really cool and new and decided to use it for an album or two. In my opinion, Power Windows us the ultimate example of how to play synthesizer in a hard rock band. It's like Rock Synth 101. It was the first and last album where Geddy wrote lead synth lines in every song, not too mention the interplay between awesome synth lines and awesome guitar lines is absolutely phenomenal, each also taking turns to play sweet backup lines. Power Windows is a masterpiece of rock synthesizer, so it's definitely not here.

As for worst synth...I honestly can't think of any Rush synth parts that detract from their song, so I guess just whichever synth adds the least to the sound of the song, in which case, probably something on HYF through RTB, though I do like Tai Shan.

• Like 3

I personally love the super-synthiness of PoW, and that brings it up in my books. It' snot like they knew at the time that the sounds they were using would become "cheesy 80s synth effects in a few years." At the time, they (Ged) just thought it sounded really cool and new and decided to use it for an album or two. In my opinion, Power Windows us the ultimate example of how to play synthesizer in a hard rock band. It's like Rock Synth 101. It was the first and last album where Geddy wrote lead synth lines in every song, not too mention the interplay between awesome synth lines and awesome guitar lines is absolutely phenomenal, each also taking turns to play sweet backup lines. Power Windows is a masterpiece of rock synthesizer, so it's definitely not here.

As for worst synth...I honestly can't think of any Rush synth parts that detract from their song, so I guess just whichever synth adds the least to the sound of the song, in which case, probably something on HYF through RTB, though I do like Tai Shan.

I definitely think rush did the synth thing better than any of the other 70s bands that tried it, yeah.

Edited by bathory
  • Like 2

I definitely think rush did the synth thing better than any of the other 70s bands that tried it, yeah.

except the who

Worst sounding?

The keys on Madrigal and the title track from AFTK annoy the heck out of me. Merde il pleut.
  • Like 1

Worst sounding?

The keys on Madrigal and the title track from AFTK annoy the heck out of me. Merde il pleut.

I liked your post not because I feel the same about Madrigal or A Farewell to Kings, but for your flair with the French, there at the end.

:P :laughing guy: :P

I would have to say Power Windows.

But that is not to say that I don't enjoy Power Windows- I think it's a very, very strong album, and I enjoy listening to it, a lot (a lot more than I did in the '80s). But as for the keyboard/synth sounds, it has a greater quotient of synth sounds that are not my favorites.

• Like 2

Between the Wheels.

The beginning of the song is like nails on chalk board. I like it more now than I did, but that was my least favorite Rush song for a few years.

• Like 2

Between the Wheels.

The beginning of the song is like nails on chalk board. I like it more now than I did, but that was my least favorite Rush song for a few years.

That's exactly it, that damn beginning. I like the song all in all.

Between the Wheels.

That's exactly it, that damn beginning. I like the song all in all.

It took being forced to listen to it live several times before I realized the song was a good one...just not that beginning.

• Like 1

The other thing that sort of bugs me about some of the newer synth sounds is that they are trying to sound like anything OTHER than a synth! Listen to any of the Dream Theater stuff from the time Rudess came on board...when you listen to the tune, you can't tell who is playing what unless you see a video, and then it's like "that's a keyboard part? I thought it was Petrucci?!?!"

Don't get me wrong, I LIKE Rudess, I think he's a great musician, and there are things he does that are pretty amazing, but I just lost interest in DT once he came on board...

• Like 1