The greatest LIVE rock album was recorded 45 years ago - Feb 14 1970

custom55

I can only agree, even though Deep Purple's "Made in Japan" is a very strong contender to the title. But "Live at Leeds" remains the wildest expression of rock music captured live.

And after 45 yrs it would be about time for a release of the complete show on vinyl!

• Like 2

I was going to listen to something else, but now I'm going to have to give this a listen

Happy 45th Birthday :cheers:

Edited by Your_Lion
  • Like 2

As Geezer alluded, I agree, I think there's some good competition for the best live rock and roll album ever made- I would say that Live at Leeds may be second only to the Allman Brothers Band's At Fillmore East album...but at any rate...

I listened to a couple of other Who shows that I have, yesterday (of the bootleg variety). But I may put this one on today, too.

• Like 1

I wasn't aware that Two For The Show was released in 1970. :ph34r:

My bad.

(Just kidding, I haven't heard enough live albums, or The Who for that matter...maybe I should do something about that!)

As Geezer alluded, I agree, I think there's some good competition for the best live rock and roll album ever made- I would say that Live at Leeds may be second only to the Allman Brothers Band's At Fillmore East album...but at any rate...

I listened to a couple of other Who shows that I have, yesterday (of the bootleg variety). But I may put this one on today, too.

Even though "Live at Leeds" does not obviously contain tracks from The Who's best studio albums ("Who's Next" and "Quadrophenia"), it's the raw impact of the band in that performance that makes The Who's later live recordings sound almost 'tamed' (if we dare to apply this word to everything connected to The Who) in comparison.

• Like 2

The day after Live at Leeds was recorded The Who played Hull. That too was recorded and I remember reading the Roger thought the Hull show was a much stronger show than Leeds. I also remember reading that parts of the bass feed from the Hull show was misplaced/destroyed/? so that's why they went with releasing Leeds back in 1970.

Well, 45 years ago today, Live at Hull was recorded. It was released with the 40th anniversary release of the Leeds box set and on it's own. The missing bass tracks were replaced with the bass feed from Leeds.

Overall, I prefer Leeds but My Generation on the Hull performance is fantastic, especially Pete.

http://youtu.be/IIJgjlWQym0

Edited by custom55
  • Like 2

Fillmore East is the number 1 live album in my book as well. Live at Leeds is certainly in the top 5.. Love the fact that they have Ox cranked up in the mix.

• Like 1

I too worship at the altar of Live at Leeds and At Fillmore East, and some days I'll cite one of them as the greatest live album all time.

But most days I give the nod to Van Morrison's It's Too Late to Stop Now. Like the aforementioned live sets by The Who and the Allmans, it captures Van at the absolute height of his powers. What I would give to go back in time and catch that set.

Finally, while on the topic of official live Who releases, I'm quite fond of Live at the Isle of Wight, which includes previews of material they were working on for Lifehouse: "Water," "I Don't Even Know Myself," "Naked Eye."

• Like 1

I can only agree, even though Deep Purple's "Made in Japan" is a very strong contender to the title. But "Live at Leeds" remains the wildest expression of rock music captured live.

And after 45 yrs it would be about time for a release of the complete show on vinyl!

"Live At Leeds" is up there but come on!! UFO "Strangers In The Night" Expanded. KISS "Alive." "Frampton Comes Alive." Thin Lizzy "Live And Dangerous." Iron Maiden "Live After Death." Neil Diamond "Hot August Night." Scorpions "Tokyo Tapes." Saxon "The Eagle Has Landed." Judas Priest "Unleashed In The East." Black Sabbath "Live Evil."

• Like 1