What do they have against Caress of Steel?

Alchemical

In Beyond The Lighted Stage Alex tells about playing the just-finished CoS for Paul Stanley and seeing that he didn't like it. Then Alex said that their manager, critics and fans (who voted by not buying tickets to the point the band called it the "Down The Tubes" tour) apparently didn't get it either.

Neither did the record label, which started threatening to drop them if the next album didn't do better.

Or ask Geddy, who simply said, "We were pretty high when we made that record."

IMO the reason they don't like CoS is that it's by far the worst album of their career.

1 classic song (Bastille Day)

1 good song (Lakeside Park)

35 minutes of crap.

Edited by Pause Rewind Replay
  • Like 2

I believe they didn't like the final result of both the long tracks involved, finding "The Necromancer" not as good as "By-Tor and the Snow Dog" and "The Fountain of Lamneth" just a rough attempt to a great one-side epic (what "2112" soon became) and then the whole album just a work in progress never totally accomplished
  • Like 1

In Beyond The Lighted Stage Alex tells about playing the just-finished CoS for Paul Stanley and seeing that he didn't like it. Then Alex said that their manager, critics and fans (who voted by not buying tickets to the point the band called it the "Down The Tubes" tour) apparently didn't get it either.

Neither did the record label, which started threatening to drop them if the next album didn't do better.

Or ask Geddy, who simply said, "We were pretty high when we made that record."

IMO the reason they don't like CoS is that it's by far the worst album of their career.

1 classic song (Bastille Day)

1 good song (Lakeside Park)

35 minutes of crap.

Its been to long since I last said this:

EAT MY POO!

• Like 3

I've listened to it twice in the past few weeks, the more recent listen being just yesterday...I love it. I Think I'm Going Bald may be rather banal, lyrically, but I think we can all excuse one song on an album being less than stellar (and it still has a great riff, courtesy of Alex).

If Geddy has said that they were "pretty high" while making it, that may be the source of their dislike, more than anything. With hindsight, it could be that they look back on it as a sort of casualty of the era.

But I do wonder...if they were high while they recorded that album, in the summer of 1975, could they have gone completely straight and not been high at all when they recorded their first masterpiece epic, about six months later? Possible, but maybe not likely. So...I think drugs may not completely be the reason.

The tour supporting it surely stands out as a negative memory for them, yes.

But honestly...what other 22 year-olds can you name who composed and then recorded pieces as varied and complex as The Necromancer and The Fountain of Lamneth? There may be some...but not many.

It is a pretty remarkable album.

• Like 2

I've listened to it twice in the past few weeks, the more recent listen being just yesterday...I love it. I Think I'm Going Bald may be rather banal, lyrically, but I think we can all excuse one song on an album being less than stellar (and it still has a great riff, courtesy of Alex).

If Geddy has said that they were "pretty high" while making it, that may be the source of their dislike, more than anything. With hindsight, it could be that they look back on it as a sort of casualty of the era.

But I do wonder...if they were high while they recorded that album, in the summer of 1975, could they have gone completely straight and not been high at all when they recorded their first masterpiece epic, about six months later? Possible, but maybe not likely. So...I think drugs may not completely be the reason.

The tour supporting it surely stands out as a negative memory for them, yes.

But honestly...what other 22 year-olds can you name who composed and then recorded pieces as varied and complex as The Necromancer and The Fountain of Lamneth? There may be some...but not many.

It is a pretty remarkable album.

Agreed. And I actually love ITIGB. It rocks hard and the lyrics are fun! No one has to take is seriously, its just silly blokey humour and I love it.

• Like 3

Caress Of Steel is a masterpiece! And I love it! It´s my favorite Rush album ever!!!

Every song on it is just great! My favorite is The Fountain Of Lamneth... oh how I love just to sit infront of the big speakers in my music room and listen to it really loud.

To me The Fountain Of Lamneth is better then 2112 (even thou 2112 is a masterpiece as well)!

• Like 1

Caress Of Steel is a masterpiece! And I love it! It´s my favorite Rush album ever!!!

Every song on it is just great! My favorite is The Fountain Of Lamneth... oh how I love just to sit infront of the big speakers in my music room and listen to it really loud.

To me The Fountain Of Lamneth is better then 2112 (even thou 2112 is a masterpiece as well)!

Id say I agree, it is one of my top five and second only to AFTK, ranking only the seventies releases.

I think I'm going bald and Lakeside park are just weak stupid songs.

On an album with only 5 tracks, having 2 songs like these can really bring the album down.

For me its hard to listen to the album as whole, because of those two songs.

I will say Bastielle Day, Necromancer, and Fountain of Lamneth are some of their strongest songs up to that point in their career.

Have you ever looked at really old, uncomfortable pictures of yourself back in high school or college and cringe? That's how they probably feel about COS. Aside from Bastille Day, which is a beast, the album is a throw away bordering on Spinal Tap-ish.
  • Like 2

Personally, I think it;s a GREAT album...sonically, I think it;s one of the best sounding albums I've heard from that era...

I think it was the wrong album for the time for them, more than anything else...they were just getting their feet wet, and playing some songs that most people could "dance to", and then they went deep and dark into the forbidding land of the Necromancer...and people just went "huh?" If they came out with a Fly By Night kind of album as a follow up and continued to play in the venues that they played in, I think people would have received them better, and they wouldn't have had a "Down the Tubes" tour...

I think that if they were being set up to play with a different kind of band as the opening act like for Yes, or ELP, or someone that was a little more on the "progressive rock" side of the world, rather than Kiss who was a different style act, they would have had better luck with that album.

Just my 2¢

• Like 4

rush have said that when they made the album they loved the album and also said that without COS you would never have had 2112 because it allowed them to experiment. i'm sure they snicker at the album today but i also know they respect it for what it was.
  • Like 1