Rate Yourself As A RUSH Fan

Lorraine

Hmm... I've gone to the last 5 tours and have at some point owned every studio/live album/DVD except R30,

OTOH, I can go literally weeks without listening to any of them. I'm like that with most bands, I swing from bingeing a particular band I'm in the mood for, then the mood changes and I don't listen again for weeks. I haven't bothered replacing my old copies of CoS, PeW, or FBN because everything I want from them is already on a live album. Most likely I will go on a binge leading up to the St. Paul show though.

Call it a 6?

I would a 6. I love Rush mega bad but I am not the fanatic many fans on here are.

Although I do appear to like the "lesser" works more than the diehards. So maybe a 7?

I stand alone as a one.

Let's review me, shall we? :LOL:

Concerts: Never seen them. Zumbi has no sympathy for me cause I could have been them at any time during the course of their forty year career. I have no sympathy for myself either because I could have. I only regret not having seen them twice - AFTK and Signals tour. Those are the only two.

Paraphernalia: Courtesy of Rush fans here who are stellar individuals, I own four Rush shirts - three t's and one Moving Pictures Tour jersey ( :kisshug: to the man who sent it to me! :)). And that's all.

Music: Here is where I earn my one point. I do love their music. Very much. From FBN through Signals, they were at their best. Anything after, even though I could not say that I like every song on the album, I do like many. I have about seventy of their bootlegs as well and like them better than their albums often.

That's it! Oh, and one more thing, and this is no toady bullshit - Rush fans are the best. Yes, there are exceptions to everything, even this, but on the whole, a more unique and exceptional group of people I have rarely met.

Hooray for us! :clap: :clap: :clap: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

• Like 1

I stand alone as a one.

Concerts: Never seen them. Zumbi has no sympathy for me cause I could have been them at any time during the course of their forty year career. I have no sympathy for myself either because I could have. I only regret not having seen them twice - AFTK and Signals tour. Those are the only two.

Paraphernalia: Courtesy of Rush fans here who are stellar individuals, I own four Rush shirts - three t's and one Moving Pictures Tour jersey ( :kisshug: to the man who sent it to me! :)). And that's all.

Music: Here is where I earn my one point. I do love their music. Very much. From FBN through Signals, they were at their best. Anything after, even though I could not say that I like every song on the album, I do like many. I have about seventy of their bootlegs as well and like them better than their albums often.

That's it! Oh, and one more thing, and this is no toady bullshit - Rush fans are the best. Yes, there are exceptions to everything, even this, but on the whole, a more unique and exceptional group of people I have rarely met.

:goodone: and not just for the obvious reason either.... :rose: Edited by Narpski
  • Like 1

Well...I could have seen them on several tours and didn't- Test For Echo, R30, Snakes and Arrows, Time Machine- I missed them all. But I don't consider myself any less of a fan because of that. My life was carrying me in different directions at those times. Do I wish now that I would have gone to more Rush shows than I have? Absolutely. But "we do not regret the past, nor wish to shit the door on it." I've had to remember those words in quite a few different instances in this life.

I couldn't possibly rate myself as a Rush fan. My first inclination is to say I'm a ten, but without offering details as to why, doubtless I'd have to defend myself to others here. So I'll just say I'm a huge fan. And the notion of the upcoming tour quite possibly being the last one has me shaken up in ways that I'm not prepared to articulate here. It's something more than just being sad at the thought of having to refer to Rush in the past tense. I know that day is coming, but I'm happy to be able to fend it off for just a little bit longer.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

I stand alone as a one.

I would put you more around a four or five rather than a one. Someone that is a one would barely even know who the band is, or only like Tom Sawyer and/or TSOR.

I am a 10.

I like/love every single album. I have been listening to these guys going on 34 years. They are the reason I picked up a guitar, bass and drums. They are the reason I pursued music. They were the band that lit the spark and kept it burning for decades. Not only inspiring me to play and write, but they give me inspiration in things I just do each day through their music and Neil's words. They are that kind of band for me.

I love other bands too. But these guys.....they are a major part of my life and everyone who knows me knows I am "the" Rush fan. LOL. And I proudly represent. No I am not that guy who pushed them on people. Never would do that. But if someone has an interest....I will go out of my way to help them become addicted to the majestic beauty and power of Rush.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 3

I stand alone as a one.

I would put you more around a four or five rather than a one. Someone that is a one would barely even know who the band is, or only like Tom Sawyer and/or TSOR.

I'd go higher than that even. Being a fan does not have to be about promoting the band by wearing t-shirts or supporting the band by going to shows and all that. Lorainne has said some things that make me certain that she appreciates the band on a pretty deep level, that she understands how their music reaches people, and that she supports their choices and even their sacrifices. There are lots of other people like that on the forum, as well.

• Like 4

I stand alone as a one.

I'd go higher than that even. Being a fan does not have to be about promoting the band by wearing t-shirts or supporting the band by going to shows and all that. Lorainne has said some things that make me certain that she appreciates the band on a pretty deep level, that she understands how their music reaches people, and that she supports their choices and even their sacrifices. There are lots of other people like that on the forum, as well.

toymaker comes up with some pretty smart sh*t when he pops in here from time to time. I only wish he could join us a bit more often. A good dude to be sure.... :cheers:
  • Like 4

I would probably put myself at an 8.5. I'm not as crazy of a fanatic as some people but I do listen to the band every day, buy the fan stuff like t-shirts and pick holders and I drive long distances to see them in concert.

Ditto that for me.

An 8. I don't know all the drum fills or notice when Neil misses a beat by 1/16 of a second, and I don't love CP and large sections of the synth era the same way I love most of their music. Still, to an outsider, what's the difference between a 4 and a 10...we've all drank the kool aid to them.
  • Like 2

I stand alone as a one.

toymaker comes up with some pretty smart sh*t when he pops in here from time to time. I only wish he could join us a bit more often. A good dude to be sure.... :cheers:

Shucks...thanks, man. I feel like making that virtual pint a real one . . .

• Like 1

I stand alone as a one.

I like this observation.

I've been a fan since Permanent Waves was their newest album and I was 12. I've seen them on the Moving Pictures, Signals, GUP and Time Machine tours. I would say they were inarguably my favorite band from 1980 to 1985. I can find something I like on all of their albums, although I think the Power Windows - T4E stretch is, on the whole, relatively weak. I think there's a difference between a "fan" and a "sycophant" who thinks everything is of equal quality. Even Geddy acknowledges in BTLS that it's fair to say that some Rush is the best Rush.

IMO I'm too old to wear concert shirts. But I'm going to the show in Boston in June, and bringing my son. I want to say goodbye (I think this is it for them touring) and I want my son to see the band that meant so much to me when I was about his age.

• Like 1

I stand alone as a one.

I like this observation.

I've been a fan since Permanent Waves was their newest album and I was 12. I've seen them on the Moving Pictures, Signals, GUP and Time Machine tours. I would say they were inarguably my favorite band from 1980 to 1985. I can find something I like on all of their albums, although I think the Power Windows - T4E stretch is, on the whole, relatively weak. I think there's a difference between a "fan" and a "sycophant" who thinks everything is of equal quality. Even Geddy acknowledges in BTLS that it's fair to say that some Rush is the best Rush.

IMO I'm too old to wear concert shirts. But I'm going to the show in Boston in June, and bringing my son. I want to say goodbye (I think this is it for them touring) and I want my son to see the band that meant so much to me when I was about his age.

Too old to wear concert T-shirts? There is no such thing. :)

• Like 1

I stand alone as a one.

I like this observation.

I should also add that in that time period I played bass in garage bands. Right hand to God, I could play both YYZ and La Villa Strangiato. Now I might be able to play Vital Signs or New World Man. Might.

• Like 1

I stand alone as a one.

I like this observation.

I should also add that in that time period I played bass in garage bands. Right hand to God, I could play both YYZ and La Villa Strangiato. Now I might be able to play Vital Signs or New World Man. Might.

Is it that you have forgotten how to play YYZ and LVS, or is it that you are rusty and musically out of shape?