Who here does NOT hate Hold Your Fire?

fraroc

HYF has got to be the most hated, shit on and underrated Rush album. I'm listening to it right now in it's entirety and let me tell you something, I like what I hear! You can't possibly convince me that Mission, Force Ten, Time Stand Still, and Lock and Key are bad songs. Is it as good as the Holy Tetrology? No, I feel it does lack something that MP, Signals, GUP, and PoW have. But I feel it's better than both Presto and Roll The Bones and MUCH better than Counterparts, Test For Echo, and Vapor Trails.
  • Like 2

HYF is in my top five, definitely.

Best pop album ever recorded. Period.

Pure perfection (if you leave Tai Shan out of it).

The best song is Prime Mover. But it's even better live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjlU6lC_CmY

• Like 1

I knew HYF wasn't liked when it was originally released but I thought it has gained a lot of respect in recent years.

Almost all my friends who disliked "soft Rush" have changed their mind as they have grown up. TIme Stand Still is a perfect song for us who have kids and family.

I can't think of better pop album... and what makes HYF different is that EVERY SINGLE WOMAN THAT I DATED loved that album. Even my wife loves it so it's definitely "different Rush". ;)

Love it, love it, love it, and still hope to hear Prime Mover played live again. With the exception of Second Nature (which is just far too preachy as well as transitioning awkwardly into musical format) and the last 2 songs (which should just have been essays), it's some of Neil's best writing. And I still have some very fond memories of listening to High Water while spending a day stretched out on the bow of the boat, cruising around.

I actually went to the HYF concert by myself.

• Like 3

I don't hate it. But I am pretty "meh" about it. I view it as a rather large disappointment after the masterpiece Grace Under Pressure and the very good Power Windows.

My opinion on Force Ten has cooled, probably just cause I'm sick of it like everyone is of Closer To The Heart.

I'm in the minority when I say I think Time Stand Still isn't a great song. It's not a bad song but not great. Good musicianship but in reality just a jangly pop tune foreshadowing the crap they put out in the next two albums.

Open Secrets has good guitar, however sparse.

Second Nature is not my kind of music. If you're into that kind of stuff then more power to you but I have no love for this one.

If they released an EP out of Prime Mover-Turn The Page I'd go bananas. That 4 song run is just fantastic and Lock And Key is one of their finest songs IMO, and a stellar showing from Alex.

Then yeah, two of the worst songs they ever recorded at the end.

You take 4 awesome songs, 1 okay but burnt out song, 2 mediocre songs, and 3 of their worst songs ever and that is Hold Your Fire to me. Not awful, but certainly not one of their finest. Definitely a large step backward after that impressive run of Hemispheres-Power Windows.

Edited by BowlCity

I adore every single second, I place it right behind the Holy Trinity of Rush albums (AFTK, Hemi, PeW). The songs are masterfully crafted. Geddy sings wonderfully, and Alex and Neil were both incredibly inventive. Lock and Key, Time Stand Still, Turn the Page, and Prime Mover are Art-Prog-Pop masterpieces!!! Alex's Arpeggiations have never been more clever; his work on TSS and Lock and Key especially blow me away Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch

I love Hold Your Fire. As a bass player I find this album to have Geddy's most imaginative bass lines.

But with his worst sounding bass...I live for the day where he plays Prime Mover and Lock And Key on his Fender.

• Like 4

I love Hold Your Fire. As a bass player I find this album to have Geddy's most imaginative bass lines.

But with his worst sounding bass...I live for the day where he plays Prime Mover and Lock And Key on his Fender.

I'm not a fan of the bass tone on the album either. It sounds farty.

Definitely a strong album for the first eight tracks..

Underrated? Shit on? I thought we as a forum have agreed that this best describes their Debut album.

This^^^...

I tried hard to like it when it came out, was actually disappointed that I just couldn't get into it, try as I might. But by then I was entering into a different phase in life (WOOOHHH METALLICA WOOOHHHH ETC).

Nowadays... I think it's some top notch high quality stuff! Even Tai Shan has some moments in a purely musical sense.

Edited by antiquark