Who here does NOT hate Hold Your Fire?

fraroc

Fans that love it typically like pop music (in some form or fashion) as well. Fans that don't love it are typically those that only listen to hard rock or metal and believe Rush should "stick" to that format. (I'm sure to get blasted by others by this comment).

This doesn't fit me, as I am probably 85-90% into heavy rock music. But for some reason I always accepted Rush's desire to "evolve" their music. The only song I have ever had a hard time with was 'Roll The Bones'. I just found the 'rap' part a little silly and "bandwagon-jumping" for me. Still accept it though.

• Like 1

Fans that love it typically like pop music (in some form or fashion) as well. Fans that don't love it are typically those that only listen to hard rock or metal and believe Rush should "stick" to that format. (I'm sure to get blasted by others by this comment).

I have to say that I love HYF but I'm not into pop music at all (apart from a few songs here and there). 90% of what I listen to is prog rock and melodic metal but still HYF is a great album both from the musical point of view but also the lyrics (probably one of my very favorite when it comes to Neil's lyrics)

• Like 1

I have to say that I love HYF but I'm not into pop music at all (apart from a few songs here and there). 90% of what I listen to is prog rock and melodic metal but still HYF is a great album both from the musical point of view but also the lyrics (probably one of my very favorite when it comes to Neil's lyrics)

I don't really think HYF is all that poppy, it's totally prog! And Lock & Key is metal!! :haz:
  • Like 1

I don't really think HYF is all that poppy, it's totally prog! And Lock & Key is metal!! :haz:

I think its prog as well. Presto is poppier (but even then is generally more complex than the average pop album).

• Like 1

I posted this elsewhere...

I can remember listening to HYF in its entirety on DC101 in MD a couple days before it was released. I was like wow that's good stuff, the only tour I bought a tour book. Oh I was going through my mothers attic on TGIVING and came across a HYF tour shirt and it looked like it fitted a 10 year old. It says large but damn its tiny or I've become huge. Smiles

• Like 2

I posted this elsewhere...

I can remember listening to HYF in its entirety on DC101 in MD a couple days before it was released. I was like wow that's good stuff, the only tour I bought a tour book. Oh I was going through my mothers attic on TGIVING and came across a HYF tour shirt and it looked like it fitted a 10 year old. It says large but damn its tiny or I've become huge. Smiles

exact same thing here regarding the tour shirt. You can see through it and it's tiny. The sweatshirt is way too small for me now but I still have it. I bought a tour book and accidentally left it inside when we were leaving. I went back to retrieve it only to find other fans waiting outside for the band to emerge, which they didn't, but it was certainly exciting that it could have happened.

I don't hate it, but it is among the band's worst output, with only S&A and the abysmal CP always being rated below it. But I don't hate even those albums.
  • Like 1

HYF has got to be the most hated, shit on and underrated Rush album. I'm listening to it right now in it's entirety and let me tell you something, I like what I hear! You can't possibly convince me that Mission, Force Ten, Time Stand Still, and Lock and Key are bad songs. Is it as good as the Holy Tetrology? No, I feel it does lack something that MP, Signals, GUP, and PoW have. But I feel it's better than both Presto and Roll The Bones and MUCH better than Counterparts, Test For Echo, and Vapor Trails.

I LOVE IT ALL! "Tai Shan" and "High Water!"

• Like 2

HYF has got to be the most hated, shit on and underrated Rush album. I'm listening to it right now in it's entirety and let me tell you something, I like what I hear! You can't possibly convince me that Mission, Force Ten, Time Stand Still, and Lock and Key are bad songs. Is it as good as the Holy Tetrology? No, I feel it does lack something that MP, Signals, GUP, and PoW have. But I feel it's better than both Presto and Roll The Bones and MUCH better than Counterparts, Test For Echo, and Vapor Trails.

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!

• Like 2

Its in the upper middle for me. Not a bad record by any stretch just no their strongest. It was the first album released after I becamea Fan and It was the first cd i ever bought. I still own that same Mercury cd. I loved it a lot but hasnt aged well.

I listen to Open Secrets a lot though. Top track for me.

• Like 1

HYF I think contains the best collective songwriting Rush ever did, even more so than Moving Pictures!

And I adorw the synth work on this release, and Alex has some awesome moments.

Just an all round masterpiece, with only A Farewell To Kings rivalling it in my book!

• Like 2

It is pop to me but.........far more progressive then Presto is. I know i've said this but......i can remember hating this album SO MUCH. it's funny to think about now, lol

Mick

I remember how disappointed I was when this album came out. But times change and our tastes in music change.

• Like 1

I renember hating all the albums from Signals onwards for ages. Even after I joined this forum I was still unconvinced!

The last few months every post-MP album has grown on me exponentially, except Signals, which I still think has the worst sounding production of the eighties, and for me the weakest songs (Chemistry and Digital Man come to mind). Otherwise, I LIVE FOR EIGHTIES RUSH!

I renember hating all the albums from Signals onwards for ages. Even after I joined this forum I was still unconvinced!

The last few months every post-MP album has grown on me exponentially, except Signals, which I still think has the worst sounding production of the eighties, and for me the weakest songs (Chemistry and Digital Man come to mind). Otherwise, I LIVE FOR EIGHTIES RUSH!

80's Rush Was the best. They did their most interesting work then. in my View.

It all started to me with Hemispheres......late 70's i know. but they blasted forward into Permanent Waves and never looked back.

Mick

It is pop to me but.........far more progressive then Presto is. I know i've said this but......i can remember hating this album SO MUCH. it's funny to think about now, lol

Mick

I remember how disappointed I was when this album came out. But times change and our tastes in music change.

I felt the same way when "Signals" came out. I wanted to smash my cassette in a million pieces. Of course today I love both albums.

I really love Neil's drum breaks on "Mission" and "Turn The Page." More like TURN THE RAGE!! Frigging Neil's fills are "HEAVY METAL THUNDER."

Love,

SAXON

• Like 3

An album that captures 80's over-indulgence perfectly without descending into too many realms of cheese. They held nothing back; if one had a good idea for a tune, f**k it! it went into the tune. "TSS" is a perfectly composed pop/rock tune. "TTP" and "Mission" rock as only Rush can. A fun album to listen to on a good stereo.
  • Like 2

I actually really like High Water, but I don't like Tai Shan.

• Like 1