Tai Shan VS Superconductor VS The Speed Of Love VS Dog Years

YYZumbi

79 members have voted

1. 1. Which song is your favorite of these four?

• Tai Shan
    • Superconductor
    • The Speed Of Love
    • Dog Years

Well, Dog Years is terrible (I actually think the lyrics are the best part).

This is the cool thing about Rush fans, every part of every song has a fan somewhere!

I like Dog years for the groove and drum parts

• Like 1

The four best songs they ever did, and I bet someone else wrote them for Rush. No way could they create such majestic songs on their own. :no:

Sarcasm Diva ;)

The four best songs they ever did, and I bet someone else wrote them for Rush. No way could they create such majestic songs on their own. :no:

True dat.

They write their own stuff and crap like Xanadu is the result.

• Like 1

Four years later I still don't understand the Speed Of Love hate. The verses and chorus are fine, although I'm not a fan of the "got to keep on moving..." part.

Dog Years has no redeeming qualities. It. Just. Sucks.

• Like 1

1. Dog Years - Someone has to dig this song in all of its tongue in cheek glory, and that would be me.

2. Superconductor - Decent song as I'm a fan of "Presto"...the video is an abomination.

3. Tai Shan - Soft and airy as Charmin.

4. The Speed of Love - Off a powerhouse like Counterparts...go figure.

I don't understand why Superconductor is "hated". I really don't.

I think it's a great song.

The video sucks though... but who watches videos anyway?

I just listened to Superconductor. I don't mind it at all! The one part I hate though is near the end when everything gets pitched up one octave. I've always hated that old pop music trick of going up an octave to add forced variation to a song. It has a cheesy feel when bands do it. Other than that though, I think the song is alright really!

I just listened to Superconductor. I don't mind it at all! The one part I hate though is near the end when everything gets pitched up one octave. I've always hated that old pop music trick of going up an octave to add forced variation to a song. It has a cheesy feel when bands do it. Other than that though, I think the song is alright really!

Well, it's not an octave, but key changes can certainly be effective. Marathon and the Presto title track both make excellent use of it
  • Like 1

Well, it's not an octave, but key changes can certainly be effective. Marathon and the Presto title track both make excellent use of it

Oh, is it a key change? Whatever it is... I'm sure you know the part I mean. I've just called it "going up an octave" since I don't know music theory and was only guessing. lol

• Like 1

I was trying to check out superconductor because I had not heard it in years. Could not get more than 30 seconds in. I thought maybe dog years would surpass it, but I was wrong. Rivendell is more palatable than these two songs

Rivendell is more palatable than these two songs

By a long shot....

Rivendell is okay. It just gets beat up because it doesn't sound like a "Rush" song.

• Like 1

By a long shot....

Good job we are buddies otherwise O was gonna make you EMP.

• Like 1

By a long shot....

Rivendell is okay. It just gets beat up because it doesn't sound like a "Rush" song.

This is true. Before Presto, Rivendell was the tune that my circle of friends would come up with as the least favorite. There were others, but like you say, it is the least "Rush" sounding. After Superconductor and Dog Years, Rivendell seems a lot better.

I don't understand why Superconductor is "hated". I really don't.

I think it's a great song.

The video sucks though... but who watches videos anyway?

When the song was released, videos still mattered.

By a long shot....

Define what that means - a "Rush song". Every album after the seventies was different. Compare Presto to Hemispheres. (Disclaimer: I'm not trying to beat up on Presto, but it is a good example to place along side of Hemispheres for contrast.) Compare Counterparts to Presto. Compare Clockwork Angels to Counterparts. Compare Vapor Trails to A Farewell To Kings. Or Caress of Steel.

What is a Rush song? :huh:

• Like 1

By a long shot....

Define what that means - a "Rush song". Every album after the seventies was different. Compare Presto to Hemispheres. (Disclaimer: I'm not trying to beat up on Presto, but it is a good example to place along side of Hemispheres for contrast.) Compare Counterparts to Presto. Compare Clockwork Angels to Counterparts. Compare Vapor Trails to A Farewell To Kings. Or Caress of Steel.

What is a Rush song? :huh:

I'm not comparing it to every song released since, but at the time it was released, it was a little wimpy acoustic song which didn't fit in with their image.

• Like 1

What makes Rush so special band to me is that they can come up with something like Superconductor. It's a weird and different song in many ways... among the only Rush songs that people could (almost) dance to. There's a strong and simple beat. :D And that's EXACTLY why I like it.

It's like "Hot Dog" in Zep's ITTOD. That's a friggin' rockabilly song and one hilarious one at that. I'm born around the same time ITTOD was released but I bet the old fart Zep fans HATED it when the album got out.

That kind of songs are refreshing.