What decade does Permanent Waves really belong in?

Lorraine

I think MP is a 20's album cause my aunt once danced the Charleston to Red Barchetta.

Mick

Did she stumble when it went to 7/4?

I would think it'd be at the one-lane bridge where things got shaky.

• Like 2

:popcorn: I am waiting for JARG to chime in for the final word on this subject.... :madra:

I think of PeW as an album from Rush's glory years. I also think of it as an 80s album. :)

• Like 1

:popcorn: I am waiting for JARG to chime in for the final word on this subject.... :madra:

I think of PeW as an album from Rush's glory years. I also think of it as an 80s album. :)

There. That settles it and I am wrong which I will accept and will move on..... :D :codger:
  • Like 1

Hate to nitpick but a poll would really work for this one.... :rose: :)

Do you know what you can do with that rose?

Was just trying to be nice. That one hurt alot. Enjoy the rest of your day....

It was meant as a joke. I am sorry you took it seriously.

He will get over it,

Just feed him a Corn Dog!! :LOL:

No. I tried to send a PM apologizing, but apparently he has shut me out.

I didn't shut you out....

Just kiss and get over it ;) ;) ;)

• Like 1

to me, it's an 80s album. The abandonment of side long pieces and a more streamlined approach says to me they were looking towards the future - which was the 80s at that point in time.

edit: had they included the sir Gawain and the Green Knight tune, instead of natural science, then it would probably have been more 70s.

I don't understand. No side-long pieces but it had the very prog-ish "Jacob's Ladder" and the multi-movement "Natural Science" opus. Together these songs comprise nearly 1/2 of the album's run length.

"Which what the 80s was at that point in time" -- ? What was the '80s on Jan 1, 1980?

Not progressive rock. It was dead as of 1976.

Hate to nitpick but a poll would really work for this one.... :rose: :)

Do you know what you can do with that rose?

Was just trying to be nice. That one hurt alot. Enjoy the rest of your day....

It was meant as a joke. I am sorry you took it seriously.

He will get over it,

Just feed him a Corn Dog!! :LOL:

No. I tried to send a PM apologizing, but apparently he has shut me out.

I didn't shut you out....

Just kiss and get over it ;) ;) ;)

:cool: :d13: Appreciate the advice..... Edited by Narpski

I'm still having a bit o' fun with the thread. I think Permanent Waves is pretty much 70s as well - (I agree with whoever posted that the "decade" classification is a bit arbitrary, and I agree with the other whoever (sorry, I'm a bit too tired to scroll back and check) suggested that the distinctive Rush eras cross the decade lines - i.e. 77-82 or whatever). I sort of think of those first few live albums as the division lines - the first four studio albums are the band finding their way, the next four are the band tasting the milk of paradise and being born as Mighty Gods of Prog (although I will always count Signals as the end of that era), after which we get into the poppier stuff with the slick sheen of synthy sweetness (not to everyone's taste), etc.

But, I am very curious to know more about this Theory of Creative Culmination. I'm willing to change my view that when the sumbitch is done, it's done. "Art is not created in a vacuum" - I like that. Keep it coming. And no, I'm not trying to patronizing, but I'm not sure what smileydude will help convey that.

" I sort of think of those first few live albums as the division lines - the first four studio albums are the band finding their way, the next four are the band tasting the milk of paradise and being born as Mighty Gods of Prog (although I will always count Signals as the end of that era), after which we get into the poppier stuff with the slick sheen of synthy sweetness (not to everyone's taste), etc."

Well put, I also saw the Rush eras being defined by their live albums, until they reformed and pattern broke down. Though I've always seen PeW and MP as going with AFTK and Hemi, not Signals and GUP.

Edited by Rutlefan

to me, it's an 80s album. The abandonment of side long pieces and a more streamlined approach says to me they were looking towards the future - which was the 80s at that point in time.

edit: had they included the sir Gawain and the Green Knight tune, instead of natural science, then it would probably have been more 70s.

I don't understand. No side-long pieces but it had the very prog-ish "Jacob's Ladder" and the multi-movement "Natural Science" opus. Together these songs comprise nearly 1/2 of the album's run length.

"Which what the 80s was at that point in time" -- ? What was the '80s on Jan 1, 1980?

I'll have to take your word on that as I wasn't a progressive rock fan. I could appreciate the prog elements in Rush but I was a hard/classic rock fan until I turned to post punk and the like. In 1980 I still considered myself a classic rock guy and PeW was right in my wheelhouse.

" I sort of think of those first few live albums as the division lines - the first four studio albums are the band finding their way, the next four are the band tasting the milk of paradise and being born as Mighty Gods of Prog (although I will always count Signals as the end of that era), after which we get into the poppier stuff with the slick sheen of synthy sweetness (not to everyone's taste), etc."

Well put, I also saw the Rush eras being defined by their live albums, until they reformed and pattern broke down. Though I've always seen PeW and MP as going with AFTK and Hemi, not Signals and GUP.

Yeah, Signals is definitely a different sound . . . but, man, the musicianship, the arrangements - it will always be the sort of last blast of classic Rush for me. Maybe it's even more a threshold album for me than Permanent Waves. I think Signals bears more analysis and more discussion. For some people, it was divorce-worthy. I think it's fantastic.

Is this a joke? You sound like Robert Fripp...

I'm waiting patiently for a good explanation of why "releasing" art is "part of the creative process."

Actually, I'm not really wating. Or patient. Curious, perhaps.

It's the culmination of the process. I've already explained it in a couple posts. Go look for it.

Here:

I know this and I've stated it several times in thus thread and Ive specified how the marketing is a big part of the process of the entire release process. I work in the film industry. I'm well aware of the steps and procedures that are necessary to release something to the public. And the "official release" of any entertainment product is pretty much the defining moment for the creator and the consumer. Do you not think that an initial public screening of a film would be a defining moment for the creators as releasing something to the public is pretty much the climax of months or even years of hard work and dedication.

I'm sorry but this is ridiculous. The release of movies is out of control of the artists and is subject to the whim of suits at corporations in the vast majority of cases. Maximizing ticket sales is not an artistic decision.

• Like 3

PeW is very close to AFTK in terms of long pieces and streamlined songs. MP is closer to the Prog Era in this regard than it is to anything that came afterwards. However, it is more similar to what came afterwards in terms of lyrical content/style and the introduction of sythns as a main instrument, and not a complimentary one.

• Like 3

I find it deliciously ironic, given the album title in question, how much discussion this thread has created.

To the author of the topic: bravo!

P.S. It's still an 80's album. If you look at the album pictures both Mr. Lifeson and Mr. Peart have had haircuts.

Edited by Snyder80
  • Like 1

If Permanent Waves is a 70s album, then Moving Pictures is as well. They are two albums of a kind and yet they resemble nothing of A Farewell to Kings or Hemispheres. Long songs have been done by disco artists.
  • Like 2