What decade does Permanent Waves really belong in?

Lorraine

to me, it's an 80s album. The abandonment of side long pieces and a more streamlined approach says to me they were looking towards the future - which was the 80s at that point in time.

edit: had they included the sir Gawain and the Green Knight tune, instead of natural science, then it would probably have been more 70s.

Edited by circumstantial tree
  • Like 1

to me, it's an 80s album. The abandonment of side long pieces and a more streamlined approach says to me they were looking towards the future - which was the 80s at that point in time.

edit: had they included the sir Gawain and the Green Knight tune, instead of natural science, then it would probably have been more 70s.

I don't understand. No side-long pieces but it had the very prog-ish "Jacob's Ladder" and the multi-movement "Natural Science" opus. Together these songs comprise nearly 1/2 of the album's run length.

"Which what the 80s was at that point in time" -- ? What was the '80s on Jan 1, 1980?

Edited by Rutlefan

all i know is it's an album......that i love. I didn't even realize this silliness was a legit debate. lol. Shut up and enjoy the fact it exists at all. I mean......LOL.

Mick

You mean this sh*t hasn't been settled yet?..... :codger:
  • Like 3

all i know is it's an album......that i love. I didn't even realize this silliness was a legit debate. lol. Shut up and enjoy the fact it exists at all. I mean......LOL.

Mick

You mean this sh*t hasn't been settled yet?..... :codger:

Nope.......they just keep prattling on. It's like watching a dog chase it's tail.

Mick

• Like 2

I think we know this: 1) It was released Jan 1, 1980. 2) Stylistically, some think it belongs to what is stereotypically considered '80s music and some think it belongs to what is stereotypically considered '70s music, and some think it is a transition album belonging to both the '70s and '80s, or neither. 3) Work in the film industry affords a lot of time to post on internet fan forums.
  • Like 3

I think MP is a 20's album cause my aunt once danced the Charleston to Red Barchetta.

Mick

That must have been a sight to behold.

to bad she's passed now and it was before youtube.

Mick

Surely you captured it in a picture or two?

This is still going on? :facepalm: :LOL:

Can you dance the Charleston to Red Barchetta?

I don't dance to Rush!! :laughing guy:

I've danced to Territories... well... the best I could approximate a dance :LOL:

I'll keep you in mind as a potential dance partner now that you've told me that. ;)

I think we know this: 1) It was released Jan 1, 1980. 2) Stylistically, some think it belongs to what is stereotypically considered '80s music and some think it belongs to what is stereotypically considered '70s music, and some think it is a transition album belonging to both the '70s and '80s, or neither. 3) Work in the film industry affords a lot of time to post on internet fan forums.

That's pretty good, but I would summarize it thus:

One forum member posts a topic saying, "Hey everybody, let's have fun!" to which one member replied, "No fun! The facts make it thus." to which someone replied, "Well, not really, because I'm still having fun!" to which that member replied, "Well, yeah, I can see that, but NO." to which others replied, "That still doesn't stop the fun!" to which the one member responded, "How often do I have to repeat myself: Lemme go look what I said... oh yeah, 'NO FUN!'" Others called the whole thing silly but stuck around anyway, because they think it is fun, apparently. Fin

• Like 3

The only prog I will dance to is ABBA..... :D-13:

Edit: signed Segue...

Edited by Narpski
  • Like 2

I've danced to Territories... well... the best I could approximate a dance :LOL:

It's all Air Guitar, Bass & Drums for me!! :rush: :D