What decade does Permanent Waves really belong in?

Lorraine

When I listen to the album, I feel like I have teleported back to the 70s. I close my eyes and I feel myself sitting on my blue velour beanbag . . . I have just sat back down after getting up to flip the album to side two . . . and I've turned it up because my sisters are in their room listening to that goddamned Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. Entre Nous comes on, and I think this is a great, great tune . . . little different from Hemispheres but still a cool album. And . . . my God, is it the 80s already? Hell, if music in the 80s sounds this good, I'm in for a treat! Then I take a swig of my Pop Shoppe cherry cola and close my eyes.
  • Like 3

"but the permanent test of time,"

It's funny that I've read since that the title was a nod to "New Wave," because when it came out I assumed it was a snub, like "You want 'New' Wave, here today gone tomorrow!? heres some 'Permanent' waves!" I thought the title was supposed to be a re-affirmation of good ol' traditional rock in the face of what had started around '78/'79 when punk started morphing into New Wave. Sounded just like good ol' rock n roll to my 14 year-old ears, with a Rush twist. Sounded no more different from Hemi to me than Hemi sounded from AFTK or AFTK sounded from 2112. Rush was always evolving. Never remotely associated PeW with New Wave.

When I listen to the album, I feel like I have teleported back to the 70s. I close my eyes and I feel myself sitting on my blue velour beanbag . . . I have just sat back down after getting up to flip the album to side two . . . and I've turned it up because my sisters are in their room listening to that goddamned Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. Entre Nous comes on, and I think this is a great, great tune . . . little different from Hemispheres but still a cool album. And . . . my God, is it the 80s already? Hell, if music in the 80s sounds this good, I'm in for a treat! Then I take a swig of my Pop Shoppe cherry cola and close my eyes.

That's is the thing. It's defined so much by where we were at the time, not to mention whether we were even alive when it was released. I was in the eighth grade -- my last of eight years in a catholic school before moving on to a public high school ('hallelujah' to that :dweez: ).

So the album came out before that major transition, and still before any of us had any notion what the 70s being over meant. When I think of the beginning of the '80s now, I think of that annoying Charlie Daniels song In America that was played relentlessly on seemingly every radio station, serving as a default victory lap for the "Reagan Revolution". That was 1981 already. Sadly, the '80s killed the Pop Shoppe where I was from. Anyway, for me, Moving Pictures is RUSH's first '80s' album.

• Like 3

"So the album came out before that major transition, and still before any of us had any notion what the 70s being over meant."

Nail on the head. It's not like Jan 1, 1980 anyone thought, "Wow, this sounds just like music of the coming ten years. Makes sense as it has been released on the first day of the 1980s. Clever!"

Rather, it sounded like the logical evolution from what they had been doing. I would have loved to have them make different version of The Trees and La Villa for the next thirty years, but I knew that wasn't happening. I heard TSOR on the radio before I first heard the album. I actually thought, "Cool, I knew they couldn't do Hemispheres again, but this sounds really cool. I just hope they have a few cool Alex pieces in there like the middle part of The Trees." And with Jacob's Ladder and "wheels within wheels," they did, so I was happy. Sounded like good ol' Rush to me, but clearly evolving. With the somber jazz feel of Different Strings I recognized that they were really growing, but not necessarily towards New Wave. The album sounded like the work of mature and sophisticated musicians; New Wave certainly didn't to me, at the time.

• Like 3

Is it 2014? It "feels like" 1998 to me...

It better not be. I'd only be 2 months old, and Rush would be on hiatus.

Edited by Disk98
  • Like 1

Is it 2014? It "feels like" 1998 to me...

It better not be. I'd only be 2 months old, and Rush would be on hiatus.

I would be -3 :o

You're 13? Really? I don't know if I believe that honestly.

You sound more like an adult than some of the people in their 20's who post here...I'm not going to name them....

Edited by savagegrace26

You're kidding right?

I'm not trying to knock Len here...but he definitely sounds like a 13 year old to me haha

Then that makes the ones Im not going to mention about 3...

Didn't we already know that?

I hadn't a clue lens age. Shocking and very impressive at the same time... :)
  • Like 1

You're kidding right?

I'm not trying to knock Len here...but he definitely sounds like a 13 year old to me haha

I meant that about the "others" seeming 3... but enough of that :) Let's have another 20 pages of fruitless arguing ;)

Edited by len(songs)
  • Like 1

You're kidding right?

I meant that about the "others" seeming 3... but enough of that :) Let's have another 20 pages of fruitless arguing ;)

I was just making a general observation not making comparisons... :)

Len isn't thirteen. He's just trying to throw you off his scent by telling you that. Len is really Alex. :cool:

:o

they've figured me out...

Your secret is safe with me, Alex.

:unsure:

Would you rather I take seriously the fact that you are only 12 or 13?

• Like 1

You're kidding right?

So you stated that your name "len(songs)" was chosen because you took a course in Python programming around the time you joined here (which was six years ago). So at 7 years old?

Are courses in programming offered at the elementary school level now or was it some online course? I expect children to get into programming earlier as time goes on but...

• Like 1

You're kidding right?

So you stated that your name "len(songs)" was chosen because you took a course in Python programming around the time you joined here (which was six years ago). So at 7 years old?

Are courses in programming offered at the elementary school level now or was it some online course? I expect children to get into programming earlier as time goes on but...

He joined in May of this year

You're kidding right?

He joined in May of this year

Oh. Thought it said may 08 - as in 2008...

• Like 1