What decade does Permanent Waves really belong in?

Lorraine

f**k it, I'll say it's subjective

things like "it feeeels 70s" and "it feeeeels 80s" are up to the listener

to me, its like a mix of both. they're not tryin to sound like zep and yes as much anymore, but the influence is still there. but they've discovered talking heads, the police, a little beyond the normal 70s dad rock stuff.

I'm still goin with 80s

at least we can all agree that its a good album

Disagree but like your argument anyway. It sure felt like the 70's still when I grabbed it from the bin on Jan 1. I should have checked the calender closer. A feeling just like you said... :)

yeah, I'd imagine jan 1 1980 still felt like the 70s haha. I just think that TSOR was their way of saying out with the old (sorta) and in with the new! I'm not friends with the guys in the band or anything, but I took it as a statement and felt like the jan 1 release date was intentional. sorta like, this is rush for the 1980s and while all the bands we tour with fade into obscurity or turn into nostalgia acts, that aint gonna f*ckin happen to us! if that makes sense.

now we can debate whether or not presto's 80s or 90s! it was pretty close to 1990...I think we could get 9 or 10 pages out of that topic

We can do that. At least I know the album now unlike when I arrived at the forum and had never heard it once. I actually like it too....
  • Like 1

Example. There is a movie called The Plot Against Harry.

It was shelved for over 20 years and not released until 1989.

"The film was shot in black and white in the late 1960s and was not given a proper release. Almost exactly twenty years later, in 1989, it was discovered and given a proper release for the first time."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064820/

It's listed as "1989" everywhere even though it was shot and edited over 20 years prior.

dear lord

we need this guy in the SOCN

He can replace my departure from there....

No, I would be banned quickly. You don't want me discussing politics or religion....especially religion.....

they don't want you discussing religion either :D

• Like 1

"The film was shot in black and white in the late 1960s and was not given a proper release. Almost exactly twenty years later, in 1989, it was discovered and given a proper release for the first time."

It's listed as "1989" everywhere even though it was shot and edited over 20 years prior.

dear lord

No, I would be banned quickly. You don't want me discussing politics or religion....especially religion.....

:laughing guy: I see what you did there....
  • Like 1

Presto is '80s chronologically but '90s physiologically.

I don't understand why people think specific dates are arbitrary.

Do you know what's arbitrary? Saying something "feels" like the 70's or 80's or 90's. What the hell does that even mean?

Dates define specific periods when we are referring to 80's, 90's etc. Nothing else.

There is blend over of every musical style between decades. This entire discussion is stupid.

There was still disco in the 80's.

dear lord

You got that right....

true. everybody knows pearl jam's jeremy is a ripoff of the pass! :P

Early 90's more specifically. It's a lot closer to RTB than it it to HYF, and you could draw lines from RTB to CP... Honestly I was thinking more U2 however, especially on RTB.

to me, its like a mix of both. they're not tryin to sound like zep and yes as much anymore, but the influence is still there. but they've discovered talking heads, the police, a little beyond the normal 70s dad rock stuff.

I'm still goin with 80s

Disagree but like your argument anyway. It sure felt like the 70's still when I grabbed it from the bin on Jan 1. I should have checked the calender closer. A feeling just like you said... :)

yeah, I'd imagine jan 1 1980 still felt like the 70s haha. I just think that TSOR was their way of saying out with the old (sorta) and in with the new! I'm not friends with the guys in the band or anything, but I took it as a statement and felt like the jan 1 release date was intentional. sorta like, this is rush for the 1980s and while all the bands we tour with fade into obscurity or turn into nostalgia acts, that aint gonna f*ckin happen to us! if that makes sense.

now we can debate whether or not presto's 80s or 90s! it was pretty close to 1990...I think we could get 9 or 10 pages out of that topic

We can do that. At least I know the album now unlike when I arrived at the forum and had never heard it once. I actually like it too....

it's a good record, yeah. the production's got no nuts but there are some real standouts on it. I listened to it from start to finish a few months back (which I hadn't done since 9th or 10th grade) and was surprised to enjoy every song for the first time. I wish they'd play more from it live because the songs sound waaaay more rock n roll live. plus, geddy can sing anything on it.

Edited by bathory

I'm still goin with 80s

it's a good record, yeah. the production's got no nuts but there are some real standouts on it. I listened to it from start to finish a few months back (which I hadn't done since 9th or 10th grade) and was surprised to enjoy every song for the first time. I wish they'd play more from it live because the songs sound waaaay more rock n roll live. plus, geddy can sing anything on it.

It would be like what ATWAS did for Lakeside Park and In The End. Balls.....
  • Like 2

I'm still goin with 80s

it's a good record, yeah. the production's got no nuts but there are some real standouts on it. I listened to it from start to finish a couple months back and was surprised to enjoy every song for the first time. I wish they'd play more from it live because the songs sound waaaay more rock n roll live. plus, geddy can sing anything on it.

I'm not sure if Ged could hit the D in the chorus of Available Light. I mean, he probably could, but it's such an integral part of the song and he'd probably butcher it live. I love the song but I wouldn't want to see it live for this reason.

Do you know what's arbitrary? Saying something "feels" like the 70's or 80's or 90's. What the hell does that even mean?

Dates define specific periods when we are referring to 80's, 90's etc. Nothing else.

There is blend over of every musical style between decades. This entire discussion is stupid.

For such a stupid discussion, you've made more posts in it than anyone else. :LOL:

• Like 1

dude, it's opinions.

music can "feel" like anything to anybody. and there are albums being made today that still feel like 70s records to me - steven wilson, opeth, the majority of stoner rock stuff like sleep, the sword, kyuss.

• Like 2

For such a stupid discussion, you've made more posts in it than anyone else. :LOL:

I'm trying to erode the stupidity...

Now Presto is a 90's album?

Rush's stylistic shifts doesn't dictate actual calendar dates.

Snakes & Arrows "feels" like some lumbering retro 60's hippie album that was shelved for 40 years but was mastered and released in the 00's...

Does that make it a 60's album?

there ain't nothin 60s sounding about S&A. to me, that is 10 times crazier than calling permanent waves a 70s album

• Like 2

Snakes & Arrows "feels" like some lumbering retro 60's hippie album that was shelved for 40 years but was mastered and released in the 00's...

Does that make it a sh*tty album?

Yes....... :)
  • Like 2

dude, it's opinions.

music can "feel" like anything to anybody. and there are albums being made today that still feel like 70s records to me - steven wilson, opeth, the majority of stoner rock stuff like sleep, the sword, kyuss.

Again, the question was:

What decade does Permanent Waves REALLY belong in?

NOT

What decade does Permanent Waves FEELS LIKE it belongs in?

It's chronologically 80's, and I consider that when doing thingies by decade, but I always group it stylistically with RTB.

Does that make it a 60's album?

there ain't nothin 60s sounding about S&A. to me, that is 10 times crazier than calling permanent waves a 70s album

The Way the Wind Blows

I'm still goin with 80s

It would be like what ATWAS did for Lakeside Park and In The End. Balls.....

I actually like in the end on FBN and ATWAS about equally, but I definitely agree on lakeside park (which I still loved on COS but ATWAS turns it up to 11)

• Like 1

dude, it's opinions.

Again, the question was:

What decade does Permanent Waves REALLY belong in?

NOT

What decade does Permanent Waves FEELS LIKE it belongs in?

:tsk: :tsk: :tsk:

:7up:

It's chronologically 80's, and I consider that when doing thingies by decade, but I always group it stylistically with RTB.

Yes, but it's not "stylistically" a specific decade.

You just mean that it's "synth pop rock".