Anybody Else Burnt Out On The Whole Catalog?

presto123

Listen to more than one or two bands, or more than one or two types of music. Expand your horizons. If you keep listening to the same albums over and over of course you'll get burned out.

Couldn't have said it any better! :clap:

• Like 1

Listen to more than one or two bands, or more than one or two types of music. Expand your horizons. If you keep listening to the same albums over and over of course you'll get burned out.

Now you tell me... :rage: :)

I go through phases. I've been in a Rush phase for about the last year. It's showing signs of slowing but I still keep going back to Rush after dabbling in something else. Before Rush it was Wire. Before that it was The Church. Before that it was Radiohead. Before that is was The Wedding Present. Before that it was The Kinks. And so on. I'm overdue for a Zeppelin kick (happens about once a decade; listen to hardly anything but Zeppelin) so that will probably be the end of the Rush kick. Listened to part of Phys Graff a couple weeks ago and it's not yet time; I just wanted to listen to The Trees for the billionth time. Seem to never tire of Hemispheres and PeW. Edited by Rutlefan

Youtube's great for exploring stuff youd never normally have listened to :) never listen to rush indoors these days just youtube on pc, play rush when out walkin or shopping etc on headphones. Couldnt listen to rush 24/7 unless its a new album when it kinda takes over your headspace.

Not too many of those flying aroud these days though :( come on guys back to work for a few weeks will ya :)

Like other people, Rush is not the only band I listen to. And after going on a binge (with Rush, or with any other band) I will stop listening to them for awhile, often for months. Afterwards I can again enjoy it without becoming burnt out.

Of course, some bands stand up better than others. Some are only good for a binge (albeit a fun one) then I get bored of them.

• Like 3

I'm not a huge fan of Rush yet. I have become burnt out on a lot of bands before though.

The thing is, fandom can be expensive as f**k! You get into this phase and all you want is to listen to is Current Favorite Band (even if you cue up a few alternatives to try and keep things interesting), so you buy all the albums, T-shirts, DVDs...and then it hits you: you don't care to hear anything from this band ever again, it seems like!

Oh gawd, how I've been there!!!

I mean, at the end of the day, you just broaden your horizons a bit more, but I've come to almost believe that it's not possible for me to be a "fan" of any band.

:goodone:

I am all over the map when it comes to music. Thank goodness!! :D :cool:

• Like 2

I'm not a huge fan of Rush yet. I have become burnt out on a lot of bands before though.

The thing is, fandom can be expensive as f**k! You get into this phase and all you want is to listen to is Current Favorite Band (even if you cue up a few alternatives to try and keep things interesting), so you buy all the albums, T-shirts, DVDs...and then it hits you: you don't care to hear anything from this band ever again, it seems like!

I mean, at the end of the day, you just broaden your horizons a bit more, but I've come to almost believe that it's not possible for me to be a "fan" of any band.

Curious, which bands have you gone through this with before?

A lot! This definitely happened in my teens and on through my 20s. Like Mick, I don't care if I ever hear another Beatles song ever again - or solo Beatles. Same with the Grateful Dead. Pink Floyd. Hendrix. Stevie Ray Vaughan. Pearl Jam. Radiohead. Smashing Pumpkins. Yes. Those are some that I remember best. But I know that I've spent some serious cash on bands and music in the past which I wish I had now!

This doesn't tend to happen with contemporary bands who are still very active. It's easy to acquire their material without spending much money. It's just the legendary bands who have 30 albums to their name.

In my 30s, I have tended to gravitate more toward genres and whole groups of similar sounding bands, never really picking one as my favorite. The advantage of this is that there's a whole slew of musicians which I've heard which I might not've otherwise. Plus, it's made me very knowledgeable about a lot of music-related stuff.

A lot! This definitely happened in my teens and on through my 20s. Like Mick, I don't care if I ever hear another Beatles song ever again - or solo Beatles. Same with the Grateful Dead. Pink Floyd. Hendrix. Stevie Ray Vaughan. Pearl Jam. Radiohead. Smashing Pumpkins. Yes. Those are some that I remember best. But I know that I've spent some serious cash on bands and music in the past which I wish I had now!

This doesn't tend to happen with contemporary bands who are still very active. It's easy to acquire their material without spending much money. It's just the legendary bands who have 30 albums to their name.

In my 30s, I have tended to gravitate more toward genres and whole groups of similar sounding bands, never really picking one as my favorite. The advantage of this is that there's a whole slew of musicians which I've heard which I might not've otherwise. Plus, it's made me very knowledgeable about a lot of music-related stuff.

I know what you mean. Im 44 and for the most part I'm that way with Led Zeppelin but since I took up drumming a couple years ago I've gone back to try some Zep on my kit

I am burnt out on most Toto and Springsteen.

But I still love them soooooooo much!

• Like 2

I'll always love Rush and listen to the albums but I'll never be the uber-superfan I was between ages 15 and about 22. I'm too familar with the material and between the internet, time, playing in a Rush cover band, seeing the real band on multiple tours, the DVDs, this website, etc, unfortunatly I'll never feel the same way about their songs like when it was all new and fresh to me. Familiarity breeds contempt.

I've since learned to not get too hung up on any one band. Spread your interests around to other bands so you don't end up accidently burning yourself out on them. Take time off and come back to them when you feel like it.

Edited by jnoble

Like other people, Rush is not the only band I listen to. And after going on a binge (with Rush, or with any other band) I will stop listening to them for awhile, often for months. Afterwards I can again enjoy it without becoming burnt out.

Of course, some bands stand up better than others. Some are only good for a binge (albeit a fun one) then I get bored of them.

I go through spurts and ebbs of when I listen to their stuff. I may go for months and not listen to anything but I've been on a real Rush kick since the tour ended last year. Thankfully they have a wide enough variety in their discography that you can listen to different stuff depending on your mood. I also listen to a lot of other stuff and there are songs that I don't listen to much because I don't want to get burned out on them. There are songs like Xanadu or Natural Science for example that I rarely listen to because they're some of my favorite songs. I don't want to play them to death (like I've heard them so many times) that I want to save it for a special time, if that makes sense.

Before that it was The Church.

I have "the Unguarded Moment" as a ringtone for my closest friend. I love it every time he calls.

They have been a favorite for a long time.

Before that it was The Church.

I have "the Unguarded Moment" as a ringtone for my closest friend. I love it every time he calls.

They have been a favorite for a long time.

That is my favourite Church song!

No. I just listened to Vapor Trails (the original) in the car for all of last week and still haven't hit the eject button yet. It just gets better and better.

It's a shame we've probably heard the last of it live given the band's feelings toward it.

• Like 3

Nope...I alternate quite a bit between RUSH, Metallica, Queen, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer, Guns N'Roses, Green Day, Aerosmith, Pantera, even some BNL, Blues Traveler, Marcy Playground...I love most rock stuff pretty much from the '70s up until the early-mid 2000s (whenever it was when Nickelback and Linkin Park took over the airwaves).

It may sound silly but I do make it a point to not listen to a song I love more than once in a day, so I don't get sick of it.

I've had close calls of "burning" out, but I've never reached the point where I didn't want to listen to Rush period for an extended period of time. Since I became a fan, I don't think I've ever gone a month without listening to at least one of their albums. I've been on streaks where I've listened to other bands like Iron Maiden, Porcupine Tree, Isis etc. more than others, (I remembered junior year of high school where I listened to a lot of Maiden) but even then I knew when it was time to alternate and listen to other stuff just to see what's out there or return to old favorites that I haven't listened to in awhile.

After being away from any particular band at a time, some hold up well, some downgrade to a hit or miss, and rarely I find a band I've either completely lost interest or lost any enjoyment listening to it.