Anybody Else Burnt Out On The Whole Catalog?

presto123

Is it possible to be burnt out on Rush?

Well...Permanent Waves has lost a bit of its magic. But give it a week and it will be my favourite again haha!

I suppose my official burnout where I started hooking onto other long term artists to follow and collect everything from happened when I turned 17, after 5 years of following, and 3 years of super-fandom. At that point, I still had a few more albums to pick up (Rush, Caress of Steel, Vapor Trails, and Snakes and Arrows) but the lions share of the music had lost its exclusivity window. From that point I signed on to Oingo Boingo, Owl City, They Might Be Giants, Daft Punk and finally my now favorite band, Animal Collective. The idea of only paying attention to one band died when I was 18 1/2, considering that though I was loving They Might Be Giants, they had a large catalogue like Rush, and more new bands to pay attention to became more frequent.

Now a days I think Rush gets a song played once every other day, an album bi-weekly, but I still play their concerts often, as those still feel really fresh to me.

I also became burnt out on Oingo Boingo and Daft Punk feels like its approaching that day soon.

Owl City and They Might Be Giants remains relevant due to frequent releases.

I feel like Animal Collective will never burn out however, I have been listening for a year now, and songs I have heard hundreds of times still feel fresh, with tiny moments in the music still undiscovered. Plus they still being active with quite a bit of solo work helps.

Side note on burnout. I just moved again for my third year of university, and purposely packed few Rush shirts. I am tired of being the Rush guy at school.

I once went approximately 15 years without listening to Rush. Currently, I haven't regularly listened to Rush for about one year. Whatever I'm currently listening to, Rush will alway be one of my favorite bands.

That's pretty much how I am,

All though 15 yrs.is way to long. :P

I once went approximately 15 years without listening to Rush. Currently, I haven't regularly listened to Rush for about one year. Whatever I'm currently listening to, Rush will alway be one of my favorite bands.

Tell me about it! Not only that, I missed the concert tours!

• Like 1

I saw them up to the MP tour in 81' but missed them until 2008. That's because I moved to Alaska. Have seen them three times since then. :rush:

I also went about 15 years without listening to them, starting with HYF. And yeah, the tours is what I missed most in retrospect. But I'm trying to make up for it now by seeing multiple shows!

• Like 1

I also went about 15 years without listening to them, starting with HYF. And yeah, the tours is what I missed most in retrospect. But I'm trying to make up for it now by seeing multiple shows!

Yep!! :7up: :haz: :rush:

• Like 1

I did the same thing. Trying to catch up with all the concerts. I pretty much skipped all of the late 90s - early 2000's They need to go on tour again like right now. :)

• Like 1

I did the same thing. Trying to catch up with all the concerts. I pretty much skipped all of the late 90s - early 2000's They need to go on tour again like right now. :)

YES. Now please, boys!

• Like 1

I am burnt out on most Toto and Springsteen.

But I still love them soooooooo much!

That's how it should be,

You move on to other tunes. But alway's come back to what you love most at some point.

Exactly! The two bands I am burnt out on the most that I love are Lacuna Coil and The Beatles. But lately I have found myself hooked on both of them. But my biggest obsession of 2014 so far has been Rush. I think they are magic!

But because I don't soley listen to them, I never get tired of them (but I have noticed that the more I have come to appreciate some of the lesser renowned albums, such as HYF and Presto, the more established classics, such as 2112 and PeW seem slightly less thrilling than they did at first.)

• Like 3

That's how it should be,

You move on to other tunes. But alway's come back to what you love most at some point.

Exactly! The two bands I am burnt out on the most that I love are Lacuna Coil and The Beatles. But lately I have found myself hooked on both of them. But my biggest obsession of 2014 so far has been Rush. I think they are magic!

But because I don't soley listen to them, I never get tired of them (but I have noticed that the more I have come to appreciate some of the lesser renowned albums, such as HYF and Presto, the more established classics, such as 2112 and PeW seem slightly less thrilling than they did at first.)

I've said this on here before......but the Beatles were my fav band growing up....but i made the deadly mistake of overdosing on them. I still respect them but it's been around 3 years since they've echoed off my walls. and i'm fine with that sadly.

So that......kiddies......is a cautionary tale.

Mick

That's how it should be,

I've said this on here before......but the Beatles were my fav band growing up....but i made the deadly mistake of overdosing on them. I still respect them but it's been around 3 years since they've echoed off my walls. and i'm fine with that sadly.

Mick

So I played my cards perfectly by ignoring Rush for 25 years..... :dweez:
  • Like 2

That's how it should be,

Mick

So I played my cards perfectly by ignoring Rush for 25 years..... :dweez:

Indeed, lol.

Mick

That's how it should be,

Mick

So I played my cards perfectly by ignoring music for 25 years..... :dweez:

Indeed, lol.

Mick

Fixed my own.... :LOL:
  • Like 1

That's how it should be,

Mick

Indeed, lol.

Mick

I have a hard time imagining that. Music is such a huge part of my life, and even though Rush has come in and out of it more or less since the late 70's, they've always been there in some form. Even when they were doing crap like Vapor Trails. :LOL:

• Like 2

That's how it should be,

Mick

Indeed, lol.

Mick

I have a hard time imagining that. Music is such a huge part of my life, and even though Rush has come in and out of it more or less since the late 70's, they've always been there in some form. Even when they were doing crap like Snakes & Arrows :LOL:

Fixed... ;)

• Like 1

That's how it should be,

Mick

Indeed, lol.

Mick

I have a hard time imagining that. Music is such a huge part of my life, and even though Rush has come in and out of it more or less since the late 70's, they've always been there in some form. Even when they were doing crap like Snakes & Arrows :LOL:

Fixed... ;)

Either or...

That's how it should be,

Mick

Indeed, lol.

Mick

Fixed... ;)

Sorry, I like S&A. Can't agree.

• Like 1

That's how it should be,

Mick

Indeed, lol.

Mick

Fixed... ;)

Sorry, I like S&A. Can't agree.

i grow to love Snakes more each listen. Everybody else is wrong, lol

Mick

• Like 1

That's how it should be,

Mick

Indeed, lol.

Mick

I have a hard time imagining that. Music is such a huge part of my life, and even though Rush has come in and out of it more or less since the late 70's, they've always been there in some form. Even when they were doing crap like Vapor Trails. :LOL:

There was at least a 20 year period when my kids were growing up (about 85' - 05') that I never bought any music. No albums, cassettes, CDs nothing. The last album I bought by anyone was Power Windows. The only music I listened to was classic rock radio in the car during that time. I never even listened to music at home. The start of a very slow resurgence was when I took my daughter to the Vapor Trails show. The only song I had heard from it was One Little Victory. When I took my son to the Snakes & Arrows show in 07' I hadn't ever heard any of it (and they played lots of it :zzz: ) ......

There was at least a 20 year period when my kids were growing up (about 85' - 05') that I never bought any music. No albums, cassettes, CDs nothing. The last album I bought by anyone was Power Windows. The only music I listened to was classic rock radio in the car during that time. I never even listened to music at home.

:(