Ripped off? Borrowed?

ReRushed

Ever since the threads on this forum about Rush ripping off Journey or Jimmy Page being a plagiarist, I seem more aware of "borrowing" or "ripping off" between artists. Today, this one really grabbed me:

Listen to the riff at approximately 0:59 in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IWbk6LPrf0

Now listen to the riff at approximately 1:38 in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9rM3-XfIak

Yep, A Flock of Seagulls clearly "borrowed" or "ripped off" Yes. New Wave hacks...

Borrowing doesn't bother me.

It doesn't bother me, either. I just seem more aware of it. Today I'm listening to A Flock of Seagulls and that riff gnawed away at me. It finally hit me. It's Yes. Anyway, it happens all the time.

Borrowing doesn't bother me.

It doesn't bother me, either. I just seem more aware of it. Today I'm listening to A Flock of Seagulls and that riff gnawed away at me. It finally hit me. It's Yes. Anyway, it happens all the time.

I wonder how long it would have taken me to make the connection.

Speaking of this, and I wish I had made notes because I just know some smart-aleck ( ;) ) here is going to ask me for proof, but I have even noticed Alex borrowing from Alex in Rush songs. There are a few of their songs that sound a lot alike.

Speaking of this, and I wish I had made notes because I just know some smart-aleck ( ;) ) here is going to ask me for proof, but I have even noticed Alex borrowing from Alex in Rush songs. There are a few of their songs that sound a lot alike.

John Fogerty got sued for borrowing from himself!

• Like 1

I don't think that's enough to be actionable. I've said it a million times but I'll say it again; there are only 12 notes. There's going to be some repetition just on accident. This is more of a melody that is similar not a real riff or song structure.
  • Like 1

Flock Of Seagulls...I think I love them!

*thanks lorraine*

Nice thread. Here's a funny one but it's actually a sample.

Watch how this guy goes from 2112 to cheesy in two seconds flat!

• Like 1

he's so good, he influenced himself

• Like 2

Chord 11 seconds in to Far Cry should sound familiar (being the opening chord of Hemispheres -- Best-Chord-Ever). Appears again at the end.

Edited by Rutlefan

Ever since the threads on this forum about Rush ripping off Journey or Jimmy Page being a plagiarist, I seem more aware of "borrowing" or "ripping off" between artists. Today, this one really grabbed me:

Listen to the riff at approximately 0:59 in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IWbk6LPrf0

Now listen to the riff at approximately 1:38 in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9rM3-XfIak

Yep, A Flock of Seagulls clearly "borrowed" or "ripped off" Yes. New Wave hacks...

What about this song from The Black Crowes?

¡Viva El Chapulín!
  • Like 1

RE: the original post. Doesn't RUSH borrow from that YES riff in Cygnus Book I?

Are you talking about 5:24 / "Through the void, to be destroyed?"

I just discovered this one today.

the main guitar riff in Budgie's song 'Wildfire' sounds identical to a certain Iron Maiden song that came out 4 years later..

Edited by MMCXII

¡Viva El Chapulín!

cool I just noticed the Cool Hand Luke quote and pic in your post. I just watched that movie for the first time last night at about 3am because I couldn't sleep lol. wicked movie

• Like 1

John Fogerty got sued for borrowing from himself!

Eh? How did that happen? :o