Caress Of Steel - the perfect album

YYZumbi

Caress Of Steel.. it must be the perfect album!

I just listened to it for the first time in months, and when I heard the first song, Bastille Day, I just had to stop with all I was doing on the computer and just sit and listen.

Bastille Day - a awesome song there you hear a young Geddy sing, I wouldent mind if they played this song on next tour.

I Think I'm Going Bald - I know many people hate this song, but I dont, I love it! It got a nice sound.

Lakeside Park - another great song, that sounds great!

The Necromancer - This was the song that took me most time to really like on this album, almost a year before I really liked it, and now I love it, Geddys voice is really great on this song!

The Fountain Of Lamneth - This, my friends, is a masterpiece! Its just the perfect song, everything sounds great on it! The Drum solo in the beginning of the song is really awesome (give us more drum solos in the songs Neil!) and the guitar, it just got that nice 70s - sound that Alex had, but stop using after Moving Pictures. And Geddys voice is just perfect on this song! To me, this song is better then 2112!

I give this album 10 out of 10 points.

I cant believe that this album almost killed Rush...

• Like 7

It was actually the first Rush studio album I ever owned (on 8-track, no less) Always has been one of my favorites...My yearly tradition is to listen to it on May 24 (although I usually listen to it a few more times per year) (my other yearly tradition is to listen to Black Napkins, and Watermelon in Easter Hay by Frank Zappa on December 4th, the day he passed away)

I've always loved CoS! I was thrilled to death that they played a snippet of Bastille Day on the R30 tour! I really wish they'd just suck it up and put Lakeside Park into the acoustic set! (well I guess they need to bring that back, too)

Still holding out for bootlegs from that tour besides the one where they opened for Kiss...

It was actually the first Rush studio album I ever owned (on 8-track, no less) Always has been one of my favorites...My yearly tradition is to listen to it on May 24 (although I usually listen to it a few more times per year) (my other yearly tradition is to listen to Black Napkins, and Watermelon in Easter Hay by Frank Zappa on December 4th, the day he passed away)

I've always loved CoS! I was thrilled to death that they played a snippet of Bastille Day on the R30 tour! I really wish they'd just suck it up and put Lakeside Park into the acoustic set! (well I guess they need to bring that back, too)

Still holding out for bootlegs from that tour besides the one where they opened for Kiss...

I got a bootleg that is called Stainless Steel, there they played whole The Necromancer, is that the bootleg you mean, or is it another bootleg you mean?

• Like 1

Caress of Steel is a fantastic album. It really bothers me when people compare this album (more specifically Alex's guitar work) to Led Zeppelin because personally I see this album as one of their most unique, certainly a departure from FBN. I don't see it as derivative of Zeppelin at all
  • Like 4

Caress Of Steel.. it must be the perfect album!

I just listened to it for the first time in months, and when I heard the first song, Bastille Day, I just had to stop with all I was doing on the computer and just sit and listen.

Bastille Day - a awesome song there you hear a young Geddy sing, I wouldent mind if they played this song on next tour.

I Think I'm Going Bald - I know many people hate this song, but I dont, I love it! It got a nice sound.

Lakeside Park - another great song, that sounds great!

The Necromancer - This was the song that took me most time to really like on this album, almost a year before I really liked it, and now I love it, Geddys voice is really great on this song!

The Fountain Of Lamneth - This, my friends, is a masterpiece! Its just the perfect song, everything sounds great on it! The Drum solo in the beginning of the song is really awesome (give us more drum solos in the songs Neil!) and the guitar, it just got that nice 70s - sound that Alex had, but stop using after Moving Pictures. And Geddys voice is just perfect on this song! To me, this song is better then 2112!

I give this album 10 out of 10 points.

Ooh!! Hey buddy!! Someones stolen my thoughts and written them down...I would actually rate this a nine (i am not the greatest fan of the spoken word parts...but then again I can forgive them enough to only mark this album down a little). So for me, 9/10. It is an absolute classic though!

• Like 1

I got a bootleg that is called Stainless Steel, there they played whole The Necromancer, is that the bootleg you mean, or is it another bootleg you mean?

Yep! That's the one! I remember when that came out, a few people I traded with were freaking!

I wouldn't consider it a perfect album, but it is my favorite. The two epics are my favorite two Rush songs. Along with La Villa, Alex's best guitar work is in these two songs. Lakeside Park is great, Bastille Day is good, and Bald is okay. I would define Hemispheres as the perfect album.
  • Like 3

I've always had a weird soft spot for this album. It's probably my favorite of the first "era" of Rush that ended with the release of ATWAS. I like Lamneth better than 2112 too as far as epics go.

For some time I thought ITIGB was really silly, but it's grown on me in recent years. I think it would be hilarious if Rush dropped that on people in a future live set. I can see them really hamming it up in modern-Rush-humor-style, and let Alex go nuts on the fadeout section.

Coincidentally, I first bought the vinyl copy of this album on May 24, 1985. Listening to it that day, when I got to Lakeside Park, I was like "haha, cool..."

Edited by Bangster of Goats
  • Like 1

CoS used to consistently rank at the bottom of the list for me, but these days it's probably in my top 10.

I love how lean yet tough the guitar is on that record. Alex was able to achieve a much stronger and punchier guitar presence with far fewer guitar tracks than he can these days.

• Like 4

CoS used to consistently rank at the bottom of the list for me, but these days it's probably in my top 10.

I love how lean yet tough the guitar is on that record. Alex was able to achieve a much stronger and punchier guitar presence with far fewer guitar tracks than he can these days.

When when was better.... :)
  • Like 4

Certainly, and more interested in being able to reproduce his guitar parts with his own two hands and to be honest with the audience when he couldn't.

When you listen to the Bastille Day lead on ATWAS, you can hear a pretty big hole. On the studio version, he plays the lead on top of a backing rhythm guitar track, but that backing track is missing (and rightfully so, imo) from the live version. I think that's a more honest way (and respectful to the audience) to deal with the issue. If they'd recorded the song in this day and age, they'd make sure the backing rhythm could be trigged live.

Edited by JARG

Certainly, and more interested in being able to reproduce his guitar parts with his own two hands and to be honest with the audience when he couldn't.

When you listen to the Bastille Day lead on ATWAS, you can hear a pretty big hole. On the studio version, he plays the lead on top of a backing rhythm guitar track, but that backing track is missing (and rightfully so, imo) from the live version. I think that's a more honest way (and respectful to the audience) to deal with the issue. If they'd recorded the song in this day and age, they'd make sure the backing rhythm could be trigged live.

I'll take the holes thank you very much. Whatever they did on ATWAS I will have another.... :)
  • Like 2

Adding to the awesomeness of the Necromancer: Listening to it (especially right after a few tokes) with headphones on is an added bonus. Feeling the music move through your brain as it is swapping from the left to right channel and then back again. Edited by apetersvt
  • Like 3

The Fountain Of Lamneth - This, my friends, is a masterpiece!

I agree, and I think in 1975 I would have been apoplectic about it. But I still think Xanadu is more of a masterpiece.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 5

I decided to consider the question. "Is Caress of Steel the perfect album?"

So, instead of answering the question before thinking, I decided to listen to it

Listen to Bastille Day..............awesome great opening track

I think im going bald was next

No

I will say it over and over and over.

It is far and away my favorite 70's Rush Album.

I heard 2112 first. After COS it was clear 2112 was several cuts below.

Love COS.

Mick

thank you for acknowledging caress of steel. it is a perfect album. i get so tired of people dogging it. i think its great! i wish they would play fountain of lamneth live as an encore. wouldn't that be something?
  • Like 3

thank you for acknowledging caress of steel. it is a perfect album. i get so tired of people dogging it. i think its great! i wish they would play fountain of lamneth live as an encore. wouldn't that be something?

Yes, that would be very cool, but I think The Necromancer would be even better!

I would love to see fountain live and lakeside park is an amazing song. To me, this was the beginning of a 7 album run that we've really never seen before or will see again. 7 straight killer albums.
  • Like 3

I wouldn't mind hearing any of the songs off of this album. And yes, even ITIGB, which I do like. :LOL:
  • Like 1

I can't either, but it might be because by the time this album came out, music like this, which belongs more to 1967/68/69 - even 1970, was already taking a back seat to other stuff. But, still, it is an epic album, and I agree with what Ancient Ways said:

To me, this was the beginning of a 7 album run that we've really never seen before or will see again. 7 straight killer albums.

I understand Geddys Soul Patch point about comparing Rush to Zeppelin but I think it is fair. In 1975 Rush was indeed nothing more than a Led Zeppelin knock-off. Comparing COS to say Physical Graffiti makes sense as well. Both had two "opus'" on it(Kashmir and In my time of dying on PG) that today we could say are Rush-like. But in 1975, Necromancer was being called Zeppelin-like. Of course, remember that Zeppelin was being compared to the Beatles. Looking back, I am sure that doesn't sound right to many either.

As far as COS being the perfect album, I can easily see the argument. I guess after their debut and then FBN, I was still on the fence and was wondering where these guys would go. I started thinking "gee, if this band can't keep a drummer, they're in trouble." But COS is definitely the album I latched onto the band forever, like a tick to a snow dog.

Edited by jjgittes
  • Like 2